• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am sure y'all have seen some of the post about me shooting the .277 Wolverine and the velocity reports. Right now Mad Dog Weapon Systems is in the works to hopefully get SAMMI's approval in 2017. Of course it is a 5.56 cartidge necked up to a 6.8 bullet. Hopefully if this hits the civilian market bullet manufacturers might see the need to produce a more variety of bullet in the 6.8. The owner first went public with it in June of 2015 and so far have sold about 1,000 barrels I think this could be another cartridge that takes off. You can also load this with subs and the currently have manufacturers making subs up to 208grs.

Some of the velocity reports I have gotten from a 20" barrel:

100gr Accubonds (factory load by JB Firearms) 2652 fps
    95gr TTSX 2736 fps (not a warm load)
    90gr Nosler Bonded 2728 fps. (not warm load)

There have also been velocity reporting coming from a 10.5" barrel using 90gr TNTs and the velocity was 2860 fps using Accurate 5744.

I have gotten sub MOA at 100 yards with all of these loads (3 shots because I don't like paper punching for hours)

This weekend I will be testing some 120gr SST to see what they will be pushing out of a 20" barrel but hoping for around 2400 fps.

The powders I am using is accurate 1680 for projectiles up to 100grs and Accurate 2200 for anything 110grs and up.

Here is a link for the "Road to SAMMI" might be having another 5.56 based cartridge approved.... Never know it could take off.

http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/the-road-to-saami-for-the-277-wolveirne-8077447?pid=1292029663

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me ---> I cannot really think of a single thing that I cannot do with my 6.8 that I could with a .277W. Even if I were in my 30's and had a bunch of hunting/shooting ahead of me,for the "normal" distances the 6.8 would be fine and if I wanted to get some distance with an AR I would go to the 308 size gun with a 7-08,243,260 or other chamberings.

A lot of times the 277W is compared to the 6.8 with as much as 8 inches difference in bbl length. Apples to apples and the 277W will not do anything that the 6.8 will do. A 6.8 with 18 inches of bbl and one of the above listed chamberings with a 22 inch bbl would be my choice.

I do hope the 277W gets approved though. Gives the AR shooters even more options. I have the same respect for the 277W shooters as I hope that they do the 6.8 guys. ---SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    277W will allow the use of standard bolt and magazines. Unlike SixEight.
    Think of it as a skinny, zippier 300blk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me ---> I cannot really think of a single thing that I cannot do with my 6.8 that I could with a .277W. Even if I were in my 30's and had a bunch of hunting/shooting ahead of me,for the "normal" distances the 6.8 would be fine and if I wanted to get some distance with an AR I would go to the 308 size gun with a 7-08,243,260 or other chamberings.

A lot of times the 277W is compared to the 6.8 with as much as 8 inches difference in bbl length. Apples to apples and the 277W will not do anything that the 6.8 will do. A 6.8 with 18 inches of bbl and one of the above listed chamberings with a 22 inch bbl would be my choice.

I do hope the 277W gets approved though. Gives the AR shooters even more options. I have the same respect for the 277W shooters as I hope that they do the 6.8 guys. ---SAWMAN

Never said it did but it is knocking at the doors of a 6.8 SPC, brass is cheaper or free (local range) vs buying 6.8 brass and just need a barrel swap out ;) Never know it could make the 6.8 obsolete if it takes off do to the simplicity but I should watch myself..... Just poking fun Sawman.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ..... "brass is cheaper or free huh" ..... ? So you go to the local range and just pick it up. What then ?? List the different steps that it takes before you can load it up. Including possibly annealing the brass which I have found is a royal PITA.

You buy empty 6.8 brass,once fired brass,or some of the fairly cheap S&B 6.8 loaded ammo,shoot it up and save the brass. Reload .. shoot .. repeat.

NOW .... what was that cost difference between the 277W and the 6.8. ??

I like to tinker and if I was younger I would have another 6-10 chamberings to go into various AR uppers. Including the 277W. The 277W is "somewhat interesting" but it will absolutely never be as popular as the 6.8SPC. Of course ... that is just my opinion. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ..... "brass is cheaper or free huh" ..... ? So you go to the local range and just pick it up. What then ?? List the different steps that it takes before you can load it up. Including possibly annealing the brass which I have found is a royal PITA.

You buy empty 6.8 brass,once fired brass,or some of the fairly cheap S&B 6.8 loaded ammo,shoot it up and save the brass. Reload .. shoot .. repeat.

NOW .... what was that cost difference between the 277W and the 6.8. ??

I like to tinker and if I was younger I would have another 6-10 chamberings to go into various AR uppers. Including the 277W. The 277W is "somewhat interesting" but it will absolutely never be as popular as the 6.8SPC. Of course ... that is just my opinion. --- SAWMAN
    I don't anneal .223 brass... Just cut at the top of the shoulder, resize, trim to 1.530, followed by the normal loading steps with brass prep etc. It is cheap or free enough to me annealing isn't even worth it.... And I just don't pick up any brass I will go to the range find the guys that are shooting XM193 or M855 (lake city brass) and pick up their brass.... So far I have gotten 4 loads out of one case and they haven't been annealed... So still free on the cases compared to once fired 6.8. And so far I have a little over 250 set a side.

6.8 brass I can't find much at the local range or hardly catch a shooter shooting it.... I can't find any at a local store unless I buy factory loads which is a waster of money. So that mean I have to buy online. After doing a quick google search most of the 6.8 brass I find is either out of stock, discontinued, or anywhere around .50 cents a piece. Factory ammo is everywhere on line which is odd that there isn't much brass or I couldn't find much brass..... Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. So in general I am saving money vs with the 6.8. Hey people said the .300 blackout wouldn't be popular when it first hit the market and look where it is at now...
    Can't under estimate a little cartridge that has report close to a 6.8 and still hasn't hit the market....

I think the maker of the round released it in June of last year and already has sold a 1,000 barrels so far.... Not bad for a wildcat and just facebook page for advertising. And the company has also worked with other companies to include sub sonic bullets up to 208grs.

But I'm not arguing it is a 6.8 but it is close to one that is for sure. And just for a barrel swap out not a bad little cartridge...

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If the 277W guy did not have the free advertising available to him on the 6.8 FORUM he would be waaaay back from where he is now. He had better be extremely thankful to those guys over there.

Although I did predict that the 300BLK would do good,I did predict that the the 17HMR would quickly fall on it's ass. WELL ..... ?

I do hope that the 277W becomes as popular as the 6.8 and the 300BLK. We need more offerings that are compatible with the AR platform. Chamberings that are used for hunting and cheap enough to take to the range and even the sand pit. If it is "blessed" by the SAAMI people it will be on its way to at least as much success as the 6.8 and the 300BLK hopefully.

Your dad needs a NEMO chambered in 300Win Mag. BTW .....they are 1:10 twist. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the 277W guy did not have the free advertising available to him on the 6.8 FORUM he would be waaaay back from where he is now. He had better be extremely thankful to those guys over there.

Although I did predict that the 300BLK would do good,I did predict that the the 17HMR would quickly fall on it's ass. WELL ..... ?

I do hope that the 277W becomes as popular as the 6.8 and the 300BLK. We need more offerings that are compatible with the AR platform. Chamberings that are used for hunting and cheap enough to take to the range and even the sand pit. If it is "blessed" by the SAAMI people it will be on its way to at least as much success as the 6.8 and the 300BLK hopefully.

Your dad needs a NEMO chambered in 300Win Mag. BTW .....they are 1:10 twist. --- SAWMAN

Well didn't know about the 6.8 forum.... So I will pull my statement back on that one lol
    What made the 17hmr fall on it's arse?

I will agree with that I would also like to see a better bullet selection for both the 6.8 SPC and the Wolverine that is mainly really why I would like to see this little guy take off.... But then again it could end up like the 6X45 that was Sammi approved but never took off. Lets hope it does though.

Yeah I have told him about that and he doesn't seem like he is found of a 300 win mag nor one in an AR platform. I want one lmao..... He is starting to get set in his ways he gave me heck for getting the .277 Wolverine over the .300 Blackout because it is a wildcat.... He gave me some more heck when I told him I am getting a 6X45 for a dedicated coyote rifle over a .223. I am sure he will digress this and give a nice rebuttal. haha

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah Brandon, over at 6.8 FORUM he announced the chambering on 10/14/13 and since then there have been 776 posts on the thread. The 6.8FORUM has definately helped him push the 277W up the ladder of popularity. Like the 6.8 and the 300BLK it's all in the amount of backing you get and the loading info,bbls,brass,bolts,mags,and all the other associated equipment available and when.

A potential buyer of a new chambering wants to buy and not sit around a talk about stuff. Especially given the number of AR guys that build their own guns. Hoping the best for the 277W. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but me personally I'd just get a .308 and be done with both those gay ass chamberings.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I can't imagine hiking a 308 AR into the woods. A bolt gun would be no issue though.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,a 16" pencil bbl'ed bolt gun that weighed in at about 6lbs with a OAL of <34" would be for me. Actually ..... had one and loved it. And the accuracy was better than most 308/AR's.

Sometimes the 600yd hike with my 6.8 + thermal during the hot summer nights is about all the fun that I can stand. Can't imagine the mountains. --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't imagine hiking a 308 AR into the woods. A bolt gun would be no issue though.

One of the main reasons I don't hunt with my .308 AR platform as much as I would like. It's just dang heavy. I lug it around to a shooting house. But if I am hunting Blackwater or something like that, I tend to always favor my bolt action.

Now, let's get the 45 Raptor more mainstream for my .308 lower!!!!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the main reasons I don't hunt with my .308 AR platform as much as I would like. It's just dang heavy. I lug it around to a shooting house. But if I am hunting Blackwater or something like that, I tend to always favor my bolt action.

Now, let's get the 45 Raptor more mainstream for my .308 lower!!!!

That or the 375 reaper!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but me personally I'd just get a .308 and be done with both those gay ass chamberings.

Damn John do you not like variety in your life? lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Absolutely TP ----> +1 for the 45 Raptor. What a AR thumper was always supposed to be. The Socom,the Beowulf,the .499LW,the reapers and peepers are pretty much nothing compared to the Raptor. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Variety is expensive. Lol. Shooting the same deer with 20 different cartridges doesn't add variety to me... shooting 20 different animals would though. Lol
    I had the same feeling hunting until I got into reloading lol Especially with the AR platform.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why would someone want an underpowered 6.8.....

Why would someone want and under powered 30 cal? Or an under powered 10mm? or a under powered 357 mag? Or an under powered 44 mag? Or an under powered 6.5? I mean why get the Grendel when you can jump up to the big brother? Because we want it lol

Why would people need any other cartridge besides a .308 when it has been getting it done for years? Again because we want it and not everyone has them and both have cons and advantages....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom