• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just purchased a new BCM Recce 16 " rifle. I have been researching optics either red dot or scope. I am leaning toward an red dot, but which one ? I like the Aimpoint Pro and the Vortex Sparc 2. One is $400 and the other is $200. This rifle will just be used at the range and for home defense. Do any of you guys own one of these, or are there any other options you would recommend ? I am new to the AR platform, so any and all information will be welcomed.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If you have never looked through a red dot sight, please do before you buy. If you have astigmatism, the dot may appear blurry or like a cluster of grapes, in which case a red dot may not work for you.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have never looked through a red dot sight, please do before you buy. If you have astigmatism, the dot may appear blurry or like a cluster of grapes, in which case a red dot may not work for you.

That is my next step. I do wear glasses, but am going to look through a couple soon. If I can't use these types of sights will look at a 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 scope.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I like red dots best, but a Recce needs a 1-4 IMO. If strictly for the range, Vortex is fine, if it'll be first line defensive use, Aimpoint, or Trijicon. I have both if you want to check them out at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Great!
    PM me when you want to go, I've got some new guns to shoot anyway, so that'll be good.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x and a 1x Spitfire you're welcome to check out. I like the Spitfire because it's a Prism scope and has an etched reticle, so you can use it without batteries.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Like I said, Vortex makes a very very good range optic that I've used and have seen used very effectively on many occasions. However, they do seem to get quite a bit of warranty work done, fortunately they have a great warranty. As always, let the mission drive the gear.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, Vortex does have good prices and lifetime warranty. I was looking at the specs on the spitfire TennJeep mentioned, I don't like the really short eye relief 2.8 inches. My optic will be mounted in front of Magpul Pro flipup sights, so I need to take that into consideration. There are so many options.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a Strikefire that you'd be welcome to try out one of these weekends. I like it for what it is.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've got a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x and a 1x Spitfire you're welcome to check out. I like the Spitfire because it's a Prism scope and has an etched reticle, so you can use it without batteries.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have the spitfire 3x and love the etched reticle. Works great from 10-100yds for me.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. The more I read about all the various options out there, the more questions I have.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Regarding the Spitfire's with their etched reticle...

I have astigmatism. With their etched reticles, the Spitfires (I have both 1x and 3x) are nice and VERY sharp to my eyes. Don't know about the short eye relief, but the Sig MCX that my 1x is on also has back up sights, and they work fine with the Spitfire.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have astigmatism. With their etched reticles, the Spitfires (I have both 1x and 3x) are nice and VERY sharp to my eyes. Don't know about the short eye relief, but the Sig MCX that my 1x is on also has back up sights, and they work fine with the Spitfire.

As far as the short eye relief, I was just quoting the specs that says 2.8 inches, which could be plenty for me, I would just have to look through one already mounted.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As far as the short eye relief, I was just quoting the specs that says 2.8 inches, which could be plenty for me, I would just have to look through one already mounted.

Try the new Spitfire AR. 3.8 inch eye relief. I too am a vortex fanboy, I own five.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have mine I front of a Magpul mbus and see fine through it with my nose close to the charging handle. I have an astigmatism also and it worked great even before I had my lasik surgery done.

260e05fd9bab860d03d71e41c18c799f.jpg

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Next time we get together I would like to try out the 3x spitfire... I sold my 8.5" 300 Blackout barrel and rebuilding as a 16" and trying to figure out what sight to put on it. I am thinking on the 3x SPITFIRE, Trijicon 3.5x35 ACOG 300Blk, or the Nikon P-300 BDC SuperSub.

I still have my SBR 10.5" 300 Blackout and it's outfitted with the LUCID HD7 Generation 3 Red Dot Sight and it's a perfect fit.

I also have the Vortex Sparc II and pondering putting it on the HK UMP or selling it.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Next time we get together I would like to try out the 3x spitfire... I sold my 8.5" 300 Blackout barrel and rebuilding as a 16" and trying to figure out what sight to put on it. I am thinking on the 3x SPITFIRE, Trijicon 3.5x35 ACOG 300Blk, or the Nikon P-300 BDC SuperSub.

I still have my SBR 10.5" 300 Blackout and it's outfitted with the LUCID HD7 Generation 3 Red Dot Sight and it's a perfect fit.

I also have the Vortex Sparc II and pondering putting it on the HK UMP or selling it.

Not familiar with the 3.5 ACOG Blackout, but I do have the 3x ACOG Blackout. You can also try the 1 & 3x Spitfires and the P300 too!

Top Bottom