• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    A while back there was a discussion on where to get bbls cut and threaded in the Panhandle area. I said I'd take my Ruger American .308 to Jim's Firearms and report back. I picked up my rifle today.

I was told $125 + tax and an estimated 3 week turnaround. It ended up being 6 weeks (I took it in just before Christmas), but the actual charge was $95 + tax. I asked the 22" bbl be cut down to 16 1/2", and it was. i specified just leave the threads bare with no touchup finish, as either a thread protector or suppressor will be in place. Bbl was crowned. Putting on my suppressor and thread protector was tight at first, but taking them on an off a few of times it got easier...I imagine is was just burrs from the threading operation (see photo shot prior to screwing on and off suppressor and thread protector). My screw on suppressor goes on and snugs up against the bbl just fine leaving no gap between the two. Looking through both ends of the bbl/suppressor showed everything centered, but I did see fine metal particles in the bore near the muzzle from the cutting/threading which swabbed right out. Chronographing test shots had no bullets touching the suppressor baffles or end cap.

I had worked up an accurate, mild load for me with its original 22" bbl of 43.0gr IMR4895, CCI 200, Nosler 125gr Ballistic tip, LC05 brass and 2.8" oal giving an average of 2713fps. I haven't tested for accuracy since threading (got to remount my scope and sight it back in), but the same load now gives 2425fps average in the 16 1/2" bbl with an extreme spread of 17fps.

Much handier for me to carry now with the suppressor mounted, and I'm not a long range shooter anyway. I may up the charge to see if I can get some velocity back, say 2500-2600fps or at least more velocity still with accuracy.

It looks like a flat area on the top of the threads...it's not, just the sun shining off. The scratch in the bbl finish was there before I dropped the rifle off.

DSCN3017.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN3017.jpg
      DSCN3017.jpg
      333.9 KB · Views: 152

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looks good Bruce. If you have another done remind me to lend you a tool that you can "chase" the threads with. It is adjustable and will work with most any larger sized thread pattern.

6 weeks huh ?? They must have sent it out to be done.

That velocity is somewhat above the 300BLK vels for that bullet and we see how good they work in that chambering. --- SAWMAN

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A while back there was a discussion on where to get bbls cut and threaded in the Panhandle area. I said I'd take my Ruger American .308 to Jim's Firearms and report back. I picked up my rifle today.

I was told $125 + tax and an estimated 3 week turnaround. It ended up being 6 weeks (I took it in just before Christmas), but the actual charge was $95 + tax. I asked the 22" bbl be cut down to 16 1/2", and it was. i specified just leave the threads bare with no touchup finish, as either a thread protector or suppressor will be in place. Bbl was crowned. Putting on my suppressor and thread protector was tight at first, but taking them on an off a few of times it got easier...I imagine is was just burrs from the threading operation (see photo shot prior to screwing on and off suppressor and thread protector). My screw on suppressor goes on and snugs up against the bbl just fine leaving no gap between the two. Looking through both ends of the bbl/suppressor showed everything centered, but I did see fine metal particles in the bore near the muzzle from the cutting/threading which swabbed right out. Chronographing test shots had no bullets touching the suppressor baffles or end cap.

I had worked up an accurate, mild load for me with its original 22" bbl of 43.0gr IMR4895, CCI 200, Nosler 125gr Ballistic tip, LC05 brass and 2.8" oal giving an average of 2713fps. I haven't tested for accuracy since threading (got to remount my scope and sight it back in), but the same load now gives 2425fps average in the 16 1/2" bbl with an extreme spread of 17fps.

Much handier for me to carry now with the suppressor mounted, and I'm not a long range shooter anyway. I may up the charge to see if I can get some velocity back, say 2500-2600fps or at least more velocity still with accuracy.

It looks like a flat area on the top of the threads...it's not, just the sun shining off. The scratch in the bbl finish was there before I dropped the rifle off.

Now you will be ready to do some more subsonic shooting with me...

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes, about 200fps faster than the same bullet in a 16" Blackout bbl. I'd like for the bullet to be able to exit the side of a boar hog when shot in the shoulder/lung/shield area with maybe a bit more blood for tracking. Never tried a .308 on a hog, but am willing to try. I think before I do much more with it, that the trigger pull could be improved...it's heavier than my 2 sweet RARR's that had their triggers worked on. OOPS...just remembered my FLIR won't fit on that weird Ruger rail. Oh well, something to ponder.

Yes, Ken, .308 subsonic. Good, more experiments and testing. Now I know the trigger has to be "more better".

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Same scope base as the RARR(EGW) right ?? Same trigger as the RARR,right ?? Bring her on over for a tune up. ---SAWMAN

Top Bottom