• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensacolian

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a fine example of the 1895GS JM Marlin 45-70 don'tcha think?

Stainless action
    Factory ported barrel
    Scout scope mount - and I've got some nice see through rings that have a good home now :)

It's an 01' model so while it is a JM it isn't crazy old or anything.
    But man! It'll make a computer monitor think twice about messing with us again!! He he he

Whatcha think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      217.2 KB · Views: 327
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      227.1 KB · Views: 336
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      208 KB · Views: 303
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      227.8 KB · Views: 334

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sweet
    I keep thinking that I want one but it would just end up being a wall hanger.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looks to be a semi-older Guide Gun although I did not realize that Marlin started making these guns in stainless quite that early. Front sight changed,rear sight removed,butt pad added,pic rail added. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mine was set up with a Leupold 1-4x20 with heavy duplex. I had a ghost ring sight on it until my eyesight started getting bad. I also installed an aftermarket mag spring and aluminum follower in it.

I have some 440gr hard cast(WFNGC)loads for that gun that will shoot thru most anything including the bigger Maine deer,moose,and bear.--- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Pensacolian

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, from what I found, it's a stainless-steel Model 1895GS .45-70 Guide gun made in 2001. All of its major parts were fabricated from stainless steel, including the receiver, barrel, lever, trigger-guard plate, magazine tube, forearm/magazine-tube bands, and loading gate. Nonstainless metal parts like the fore-end cap and sling-swivel studs were plated in satin nickel for a compatible appearance.

It's got a Wild West happy trigger
    A bear proof single piece ejector
    And an aluminum mag follower

I think the recoil pad is factory, but the front sight appears to have been changed, and it has a night sight on it

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    From the pic the recoil pad looks slightly oversized. Also,I have never seen a Guide Gun with a recoil pad. My older gun (non Guide Gun)came with a hard plastic butt cap. Later in it's life I had the stock chopped to a 13.25 inch LOP and the bbl cut to 16 inches (no brake).

At the time I was a guide in Maine and I had to carry the gun thru some of the nasty alder swamps and cedar thickets looking for wounded bear and moose. This is the time that I had a set of trijicon night sights(ghost ring rear)installed on it.

I once hit a 880lb bull moose,that was quartering away from me at 40yds,with the 440's,just in back of the last rib on his left side. The bullet took 3 inches of rib when it entered. It passed completely thru the chest cavity and broke the shoulder on the far right side,then exited the animal. I had several of these bullets brake both shoulders on a 750+lb moose when hit square on the shoulder. I also killed a 300lb boar hog in Eglin with this gun and load.

Properly loaded, a 45-70 will do/kill most anything that needs killin'. --- SAWMAN

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great rifle - Loved the hunting stories Sawman!

Top Bottom