• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like she will be offered a great job on NAS Pensacola. More money, better benefits, and 2 weeks more paid vacation than what she has now. Her biggest hangup is having to disarm. She does a written pro/con list for every major decision and it's right there at the top as a con...lol. What really gets her goat is the fact it would be too risky to leave in the car seeing how it's a federal installation and they can search you or your car at any reason and any time.

I know this well as I had my car flagged twice at the gate for inspection and gone through with dogs at NAS North Island in Coronado as a military dependent college kid. Random or did they not like my longish hippie looking hair at the time? MP's had no sense of humor and didn't appreciate mine....jerks but just doing their job I suppose.

So she's not happy about possibly disarming for work but it further bothers her that once she leaves base she will have the inconvenience of either going home first and then going to run errands, shop, etc or violate her conviction of being armed as often as possible and just go do her running around straight from work. Non-gun people would think it's crazy but this is a real factor in her decision making process.

Wonder what would be the consequences or charge if someone "forgot" they had a gun in the car and it was somehow discovered on base? Being federal I would think that has the potential of being pretty bad. Frustrating we have all these idiotic laws tying law-abiding good citizens up in knots trying to navigate them.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have to agree with Helo, with more money, better benefits and more vacation time it's a risk she'll have to decide is worth it. Sure would suck to turn down a job like that, I personally wouldn't let it cause me to lose the job. I've worked on Hurlburt for going on 14 years and sure I wish I could have a weapon with me but until they change the rules there is nothing I can do about it.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the same problem when I was in the Army and stationed at Hood. Couldn't be armed to or from work, so I spent a lot of time unarmed. After Afghanistan it actually bothered me enough that I just said fuck it and anytime I left the base if go straight home and arm myself. Luckily I lived ten minutes from base. But it also was a pain because anytime I left home I had to ask myself if there was any chance that I may have to go on base for some reason. If there was any chance then I'd have to leave the pistol at home. It was total BS.

It sounds like a good job opportunity. Take the job and adjust accordingly. If it means leaving work and going straight home to arm up, then do it. If say that inconvenience is probably worth the money, benefits and vacation. And she will get used to doing it.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like a new business opportunity. Secured, protected firearms storage rentals just off base...

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I wouldn't let it stop me from taking the job. It's great to have principles and stand up for what you believe in but it's nice to have a few dollars left over at the end of the month too.
    Famine, I like that idea.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think the gun issue alone would stop her from taking the job but it's part of the equation on the pro/con list which blows my mind in and of itself. You guys wouldn't believe the length and detail of that thing. Then of course it's discussion time! I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of guy and not sure how to contribute to her incredibly complicated decision matrix....lol

Knew some around here were probably in the same boat and may have figured out some creative and safe work arounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would not turn the job down. I do believe you can check your weapon at the gate and pick it up upon leaving...doubtful she will ever need it but the bases are changing the authority to carry on base at this time. A lock box in the vehicle may be allowed by the base. A conversation with the Commander or Security would do more good than a post on the forum.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If its a Federal job it carries long term weight, contracted position not so much. Most LTL items are banned too. Arrests are bad news. Person would go befor a Magistrate. A CWP means nothing in regard to the charged violation. Forfeiture of weapon, fine and jail time, probation and potential to loose your gun rights (and that means no guns located where she lives) is too much to risk.

I have never seen lock boxes fo other then LE/Security use at any base and never for day workers. Business Opportunity: open a drive thru Gun locker outside the Gate. User puts it in a case, you lock it in a locker and give them the key.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Has anyone called nas pmo and asked if they will secure a weapon at thier office at the front gate? I know it's "unheard of" but i would call and ask.

Idk what it's like driving every day through nas front gate, but since 1985 I've only had a vehicle I was in searched at a military entry point once. In Italy, in 91, they checked under the good and chassis with a mirror. That's it. Never once have I been searched at nas or whiting, not at eglin(all fairness, rare trip) not at new river, half the time at Lejuene they didn't even check id. Last summer we met my dad on nas and he made a bfdeal about pistols and searches and questions at the gate. I dropped mine at TGD, got to the gate and ole boy glanced at my dl and asked if I knew where I was going.

I would call the gate and ask to speak with the watch officer/ncoic/top blue falcon and ask if there's a locker or means to secure at the gate. If not, well, she will have to decide which is more important to her, being armed or making more money. I would not advise bringing a weapon on an instalation with a no weapons policy. Good on her for thinking it through.

*oops, didn't read franks post. What he said

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It would be a federal crime, not worth the major hassle of getting caught. If the job requires a security clearance...cancel Christmas. I work on Hurlbert Field and even though they have a few Barney Fife types manning the gate(s) every now and then... not worth being fired, etc. Easy choice IMHO...

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree with everyone on this. Not worth it. One can be charged by a federal prosecutor as well, which happened recently where I work. The dogs caught it on a random inspection.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That I know of ...... there is no option of "Checking" your weapon at the gate thing in place at any fed facility in NW Fla. Think about it ..... there would be a huge safety concern with having someone walk in,pull their carry weapon,possibly have to unload it,stow it in some locker,and then reverse all this at the end of the day. There could possibly be several hundred people doing this. And .... who are these people doing this ?? There would be ID checks involved with gov ID,Fla D/L,CWP,possibly a base permit ........... huge PITA.

I would say also,that it is super sad that the government forces you to default to a lesser degree of personal safety just to go to work. I know what I do. What you do is your business. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    it will never happen....liability issues...security issues....no base will hold a weapon for you anymore...on the first day of the first gulf war, I was at Anniston army depot, that was the last time I saw this happen, the desk checked two guns in, gave me a luggage tag type tag, I had the guns in a paper bag,unlded, with the ammo & magazine, the guy barely even looked up, picked them up on the way out of the depot....

not no more

**to add, I have been on dozens of military bases, some active major bases, other reserve bases, and have never been searched...but I would not take a weapon on a base these days....part of the problem, is even going down the entrance road, before clearing the gate, at most bases, you are already on federal property...so laws apply before you even hit the chkpoint

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I work at Hurlburt and they do indeed do random inspections, I've been caught up in them at least once when I wasn't paying attention. It's not the gate guards that get you, at either the outside lane or inside lane just inside the base they'll have a patrol car with 2 guys standing outside it, they are the ones who pick and inspect the car and they always have a dog with them. If you notice this setup ahead of time you just have to make sure to use one of the other lanes to enter the base. This is why most of the time I use the middle of 3 lanes when coming in the front gate. I have nothing to hide but it's a pain in the ass to get stopped and inspected, usually makes you about 15 minutes late to work.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They aren't that anal about it trust me, well not at Hurlburt at least. Hell, Hurlburt has a gun range on base so when you go there you have to declare at the gate that you have weapons on board and are going to the gun range.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can not say yes or no,, I have been rushed by contractors to get parts in to the workers at Eglin,, and forgot and got in and out no problem,, But when I knew that day was to work on base,,I would leave my firearm at the shop before going, (( Warning )) with all the publicity on firearms and our Government right before Election might not be a good idea,,, Being put on the News as a suspect Homegrown Terrorist does not sound like a good job beginning,, Sounds like your Wife does her research well,, This is a topic to be checked into on base.. Good luck and congratulations on the move forward for her,,,,,,

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been on NAS Pensacola a lot over the years and never been searched and in fact always been surprised how lax the security seems to be. Especially some of the civilian contract MP's. I shouldn't judge them by outward appearances but let's just say I would still prefer to have my own weapon and skills to fall back on if something went down while I'm out there with them on the job. Surely there is another hidden line of security though.

If my experiences were limited to just NAS Pensacola I would think they never search cars but I got searched in North Island with bomb dogs going through my car twice. Was told they could sniff out the gun powder in a single round of .22lr. Would really suck to have a damn dog sniff out your roscoe for a beef chew possibly sending you to federal prison.

Long ago when only 19 years old I worked on Naval Station Pearl Harbor before starting college. Surprisingly, I never had "the green hornet", my POS 1979 lime green Honda island car with partially rusted out exhaust that made it sound like an angry hornet flagged for inspection. However I did see other cars get pulled to the side for inspection often. I worked inside the Submarine Base, which was sort of a base with-in a base, and that's without a doubt the tightest security I've seen at any military installation.

Hopefully if a good citizen and obvious non-terrorist accidentally forget they were armed and unlucky enough to be flagged an MP would use some discretion and just turn them around. Wouldn't count on it though and definitely not worth the risk considering the potential consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    it will never happen....liability issues...security issues....no base will hold a weapon for you anymore...on the first day of the first gulf war, I was at Anniston army depot, that was the last time I saw this happen, the desk checked two guns in, gave me a luggage tag type tag, I had the guns in a paper bag,unlded, with the ammo & magazine, the guy barely even looked up, picked them up on the way out of the depot....

not no more

**to add, I have been on dozens of military bases, some active major bases, other reserve bases, and have never been searched...but I would not take a weapon on a base these days....part of the problem, is even going down the entrance road, before clearing the gate, at most bases, you are already on federal property...so laws apply before you even hit the chkpoint

It's been a few years, but I could outline the process on how to bring a personal owned firearm onto a marine corps base and check it into the armoury. There's even a way to keep private Pyle from finger banging your piece while he wait for chow. In not gonna pretend to know how the open-to-the-public base with museums and historic forts feels about it, but in sure the absolute answer is a phone call away

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom