Stalking the Wilds of Northwest Florida edible/medicnal plants and fungi. Course

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Sawman and Fishing Jean. Anything that I can do to help you all out let me know. I PMed you two and for sawman I normally am not too far from the molino area every thursday morning shooting a match. We finish up there by 11:00 AM. It is off Mathison rd. I live in pace not too far from the high school in back of woodbine hills.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That's right Carl ... you belong to my club. I could meet you at the club and we could go up after the match on any Thurs. That would save you some travel time.
    You have a PM with my phone number. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will call, thanks.
    That's right Carl ... you belong to my club. I could meet you at the club and we could go up after the match on any Thurs. That would save you some travel time.
    You have a PM with my phone number. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sawman thanks for the Chinquapin. I cut off some of the foliage to better balance it relative to reduced root system. I see the other tree that was sold to me as a chinquapin has larger leaves and might have some chestnut in it. What you got me is a chinquapin for sure since chestnuts are not likely to show tassels until they have reached a much larger size.

DSCF0458 (2).JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0458 (2).JPG
      DSCF0458 (2).JPG
      964.8 KB · Views: 150
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No prob whatsoever Carl. Glad I could help. Please let me know if you need another as we found quite a few. I will collect some seeds for you also this fall. (Remind me)

I will try to figure out what that other tree is that we have at the north end of the club that I told you about. IIRC someone told me it was a walnut. It is huge(probably 26 inches at the butt)and is loaded with nuts every year. Gotta have some small ones growing up under it. This tree is close to the roadway also. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No prob whatsoever Carl. Glad I could help. Please let me know if you need another as we found quite a few. I will collect some seeds for you also this fall. (Remind me)

I will try to figure out what that other tree is that we have at the north end of the club that I told you about. IIRC someone told me it was a walnut. It is huge(probably 26 inches at the butt)and is loaded with nuts every year. Gotta have some small ones growing up under it. This tree is close to the roadway also. --- SAWMAN
    Sounds like the walnut tree is healthy. I planted a few commercial walnuts and they just did not survive and do well. Walnut trees can get huge and if it is producing it is likely healthy. Maybe in the fall I would like to take you up on the offer for digging up seedlings. I have friends that likely can identify the type of nut tree. I definitely want some chinquapin nuts/seeds to plant. If you find any hickory the nuts/seeds from them would also be of value for planting. Firewood cutters tend wipe out stands of hickory locally since it is used for smoking meat.
    I will try to keep that little chinquapin happy and see what happens.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Now that you mention it ...... I do believe that one of the club members did tell me it was a hickory and NOT a walnut. Actually .... I have never heard of a walnut growing in this part of the country. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman I did see a huge walnut tree in a pensacola yard that was dying a couple of years ago. Dr. Bennet a well trained botanist of UWF identified it as a black walnut. There is also a walnut hill, fl in escambia county. The point is walnut trees do occur in this area, but hickory trees are more common. It is likely the other club member is right about it being hickory. Taxonomy of plants is something I need to learn more about.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    goumi berries are said to be good for your health. My dogs also like them alot. I have a video of one of them eating berries off the bush, but it would be too big to attach here.

DSCF0460.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0460.jpg
      DSCF0460.jpg
      814.6 KB · Views: 135

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom