Target Sports

Stalking the Wilds of Northwest Florida edible/medicnal plants and fungi. Course

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am hosting a class to identify and use the native plants and fungi that we have here in Northwest Florida

Mr. Darryl Patton will be instructing a nature walk/herbalist class the 2nd and 3rd of April from 9am - 4 pm. There really is not a set agenda for this class what we find on the ground is what we will discuss. The class size will be limited to 30 to ensure that everyone has a chance to ask questions and get the most out of this event. There will be a $100 fee for the class with a $50 nonrefundable deposit. (The deposit will be refunded only if the event does not happen as scheduled). Deposits can be either cash, check, or money order. The first 30 deposits received will have a place in the class all others will be put on a list in case of a cancellation and be offered on a first come first served basis. If you send a deposit but do not get on the list to attend it will be returned. Please PM me for details on making a deposit. There will be more detailed information on the event in following posts.

Mr. Patton's website with bio can be found http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com/
    He also has a several videos on youtube if you just search his name.

I am hosting this event as a non profit to myself the fee is only to cover Mr. Patton's fee per attendee and the cost to pay for the use of Coldwater Garden's property. Located at 7009 Creek Stone Rd, Milton, FL 32570.

Any question please fee free to PM me our you can contact me Directly on Facebook Forrest Bruton

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    stalking flyer.jpg

I will provide my mailing address and personal contact info in PM, due to my professional job posting this information is highly unadvised.

Attachments

• stalking flyer.jpg
      stalking flyer.jpg
      152.5 KB · Views: 367

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah the event is over and it was fairly successful. We had a total of 12 participants, I never really did think we would get 30. I have been to Mr. Patton's classes before and he is actually exceptional good at conveying his message. But since he taught special needs children for 30 yrs does help him dealing with these situations. The location was exceptional and so was the local plant life seeing as how most of it is in it's juvenile state right now.

We did sit back and talk about possibly making this an annual event and may be able to work with the venue to get the price down lower but reserving 300+ acres is kinda hard to find on a budget.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the kind reply. I am also interested in finding out where some specific plants are located. Wild growing mayhaws, paw paws, and any stands of chinquapins. From the mayhaws and paw paws I would want to return in winter for scion wood and chinquapins to dig up some young ones and transplant. People keep telling me about strands of chinquapins but when I go there I never seen any there. Hybrid dunstan chestnuts do well here and I wanted to try some of the related chinquapins that are native here.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have several chinquapin trees at my hunting club in Molino. I you are interested I will check under them and see if there are any other smaller trees growing. There are no "stands" of them at my club,just one here and one there.

If so and you want one I will escourt you thru the gate to my area and allow you to dig one. The main tree is about 4 inches at the butt so there just might be some smaller ones. Let me know if you are interested and I will check next time out. --- SAWMAN

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good stuff offering to help FrommerStop out with it. And anyone else please feel free to ask questions and offer advise on wild medicinal/edible plants that we have in the area.

Acorns although with the small ones we have here can be dried shelled and ground Then leeched with clean water to remove the tanic acid to use as a flour substitute.
    Yellow/Curly Dock the seeds can be ground and used the same as buckwheat.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have several chinquapin trees at my hunting club in Molino. I you are interested I will check under them and see if there are any other smaller trees growing. There are no "stands" of them at my club,just one here and one there.

If so and you want one I will escourt you thru the gate to my area and allow you to dig one. The main tree is about 4 inches at the butt so there just might be some smaller ones. Let me know if you are interested and I will check next time out. --- SAWMAN

Yes I am interested for these in the fall when I would like to dig some up. I have been looking for them about the PRPC that was said to have them, but I have not seen any.
    By the way I may have surplus things that people here are welcome to. I found that saigo palms are dangerous to dogs and so my little tiny one is in a pot waiting for loving home. I have some champanel grape cuttings that appear to be taking and I only need two at the moment. I planted a large quantity of paw paws from seeds that I got from a fellow in houston. The original parent trees seems to be from Indiana. If and when they ever come up I may have more than I need. There are several of us locally that are trying to grow them. Two of my friends have gotten flowers on theirs. I have some spare everglades cherry tomato seeds that grow well during the summer in south florida and I will try them out here. So I can stick a few seeds in an envelope if some one here wants to try them. The way most of my gardening and orchard friends I deal with work is that we develop a large email network of like minded people and we trade things about. Some of the SFF people a do facebook also.

Last edited:

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been thinking about some everglades for may back fence. Every couple of years I think of it then get busy and forget about it. So might be interested in a few of the seeds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a friend that has two HUGE chestnut trees. Unsure of what variety. After you get past the nasty handleing qualities of these nuts,they roast and eat supurb. I use the super thick brush gloves from Home Depot and they still stick thru every now and then.

I will get back to ya'll when I find out if there are any small chinquapins at my club. --- SAWMAN
    Added: Haaaaaay,another member of PRPC I see. Great !! I'll ask Harry next time I see him. He knows everything.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been thinking about some everglades for may back fence. Every couple of years I think of it then get busy and forget about it. So might be interested in a few of the seeds.
    Shoot me a PM with an address and I will send you some seeds.

Sawman: I have some minor book learning on Castanea sp. type trees, but somewhat limited practical knowledge which is what counts in the real world. In this area there could be two types of Chinquapins. The Allegheny species is most common and then there is the taller Ozark type that is more like a real chestnut in height. There is likely blight in this area and I would guess that any older chestnut trees present are most likely of asian origin. Chestnuts from the USA are chopped down by blight to the root and will germinate again. Chestnuts hybridize and sometes that can make it hard to figure out what you have. I planted a bunch of chinese-chinquapin hybrids last year and this hope to transplant them this fall. While starchy like, they are better than acorns or at least the acorns I have around here for human consumption. Squirrels love nut tree groves. I likely will have to get a cat that climbs. My current cat hunts a lot, but does not climb. The two White English dogs have been taught to not kill it and they will protect it from coyotes and such. If I get a new cat I have to figure out how to do that again. Those dog types have a seemingly mild disposition until they get turned on and then they are as bad any game tested pitbull.
    Sawman:
    I usually shoot next to the club president if no one else has grabbed my place at the thursday 900 matches. Harry I think is on the other side of the president. I am not a good shot these days due to neurological damage and my excuse is that the stock grips on a model 41 do not fit me well.

Cannot clear land or garden since it is raining today and so I have to get back to work. While retired I do work part time as a consultant on some environmental issues for a local. Helps keep the mind sharp and earns some cash.

Last edited:

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like an interesting and educational class. However I remember attending a three day survival school on property owned by US Air Force Hurlburt Field many years ago when I was a student Naval Aviator. We were trained how to "live off the land". Let me tell you, I got REAL hungry by the time that class was complete.

When push comes to shove, my plan is assault my unarmed neighbors and eat their canned goods and perhaps BBQ their pets. :loco:

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol Mozella. yeah you can def starve if you don't know all of the stuff that you can eat. We made soups, a jello, and several difference drinks. Even fried up some mushrooms.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like an interesting and educational class. However I remember attending a three day survival school on property owned by US Air Force Hurlburt Field many years ago when I was a student Naval Aviator. We were trained how to "live off the land". Let me tell you, I got REAL hungry by the time that class was complete.

When push comes to shove, my plan is assault my unarmed neighbors and eat their canned goods and perhaps BBQ their pets. :loco:
    I plan on using wild growing things to supplement what I store. But the fact is I have not stored anythingyet. But I will soon. I want a yrs supply for myself and my two dogs. A climatic disturbance or disease that wipes out say the corn crop could happen. A big volcano throwing enough dust into the air could cause a yr without summer. Has happened before. Fresh wild plants can provide vitamins and nutrients that are not present in stored food. Me I would likely begin with rice and beans stored in pails. Relatively cheap and will give you your calories and basic amino acids that you need. I would not tell my neighbors of my plans to store food. I have not taken a survival course, but I doubt that one can survive long-term on what one finds in the wild unless you can find something similar a lot of nuts or corn to provide enough calories. But I need to take a course first before being sure about that. A lot of people do pass up insects, snakes and lizards, and small birds which are sources of good food. Probably a good idea to have a small hand operated generator, seine nets, and explosives with the power of the old M80 firecrackers for fishing. Traps and snares to catch wild life. A wise trapper will eat better than a skilled shot and traps make no noise. The same nets that protect your blueberries if spread out in a wetlands will catch snakes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dusther the crossvine you gave me has budded out and is likely rooted. I will know in little while. I am looking around my place for more of it. Someone that I was corresponding with on the survivalist forum thanked me for telling them about the tea that one can make since that person has identified it locally. I sent that person yesterday seeds for goumi berries.

Next year I might be able to help you getting the word on your field course. If you have some sort of show & tell already set up I can ask or give you the contact information to the of the president Bream fisherman association. Locals get to speak about the resources in the area. They meet about 4 times a year. Some of the local members of the banana forum meet now and then in this area which turns into a general garden or fruit growing meeting and someone on medicinal plants I think would be welcomed. There are some sort of survivalist meetings which I do not attend that might be another venue for you. Below are some germinating paw paws DSCF0443.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0443.jpg
      DSCF0443.jpg
      927.1 KB · Views: 138

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    good deal on the crossvine growing. It is prob still to early for it to have it's own roots yet mine are sprouting all over but still no roots but they will get there.

I work with a few different herbalists that have been talking about having a another event here in a few months. When I know more I'll post it here and get with you on it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FrommerStop ... ---> you have an incoming PM. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom