• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    EDIT: I now am moving my "Must have's" to NO more than a 4x on low side and no less than 24x on high side. Also really want at least 30mm or higher tube and a Side Focus(not a must)

Who here is a mid level rifle scope guru? I spoke with Sawman a few times and was able to limit my selection a bit but still need someone to help me slim it down some more. Scopes compared such as Leupold VX6, Nikon monark 3&5, Bushnell Elite 6500, and the main limitation is that I want a scope that has no higher than a 5x zoom on low side and nothing below a 18x zoom on high side. For instance a 5x20-44mm,4x20-50mm,5x25-50mm,4x24-52mm. Not interested in scopes that start at a 6x zoom. Looking for someone with real experience owning and using the scope we discuss. Need a brand comparison for money. Wanting a clear picture zoomed all the way in at 500 yards and clear when low setting at 40yards. And yes I now know I need a focus/parallax adjustment.

The Leupold VX6 4x24-52mm can be had for $1400
    Nikon monark 5 5x25-50mm for $850
    So is it worth double the money???

Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30-50mm $900 sounds perfect but is it clear at near 30 zoom?

Attachments

• scopes.jpg
      scopes.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 289
    Last edited:

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrankT

The Vortex does not make a scope that works for these parameters. The cheapest thing they have in zooms I'll take is $1700 and thus not mid-level. I will not take a scope starting at 6x zoom for this application. I have a vortex currently and like it but it's max at 12x zoom. I don't need new brands to look at I need some one that owns or has owned what I'm looking for to give real advice. Thanks for trying.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Stanly just some option input. I have a a vx 3 nice scope does what you expect it too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Check out the weaver tactical 5-20x50. I have it on a remy 700 in .308. Its a first focal plane scope with mil dot reticle and mil dot turrets. They can be had off the shelf in the $800 range. Maybe less

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hit the wrong button. Vx 1 and 3. My upper end is nightforce nsx. Love it have 2 the 5.5 x 33 and the 8 X 32. Clear , just an all around pleasure. ExCEPT. Not the best out there in low light. My brother has the 6500 Bushnell on a savage 22-250. Have mage the red rain out to 450 any times chuck hunting. Scope works good. Low end worth a mention, I have a swift 6 x 24 I think? On a ruger #1 220 swift. Always worked great. Little fuzzy at full . But once again killed many a ground hog out to 500. Put a millet on a 223 it's ok but huge. The one in your spec is 33mm big big. The bottom line of my opinion., I'm saving for a third nightforce.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kendive I looked at them per ur recommendation and the only thing that would work for me was SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope and it is $1300 so if I spend that ill go with the VX6 that is a name brand everyone has heard of, Leupold. Thanks

And The 15x zoom from ur original recommendation is not in my current parameters wanted

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    TK5o I looked up the Weaver Tactical and seems perfect but I feel the same wishy washy feeling I get about the Bushnell Elite. They have both always been revered as cheap scopes to me and i wonder if i would be better off with the Nikon Monark 5 4x20-50mm for $700?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Bushnell Elite line of scopes are not in the same playing field of their lower end scopes that they make. They are some fine glass.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Neither are the weaver tactical. Its certainly worth a good look. And weaver i believe is still and american company and has been around a long time

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Neither are the weaver tactical. Its certainly worth a good look. And weaver i believe is still and american company and has been around a long time

ATK is an aerospace, defense and commercial products company. Including Bushnell, ATK has approximately 16,000 employees and operations in 22 states, Puerto Rico and internationally. Besides Savage and Bushnell, ATK's hunting and sporting goods line includes Federal Premium Ammunition, Alliant Powder, RCBS, Champion Target, Gunslick Pro, Outers, and Weaver Optics.

http://www.masslive.com/business-ne...savage_arms_parent_atk_buys_bushnell_mak.html

could be made most anywhere.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I don't give 2 shits if a Syrian refugees made it as long as it works great. If they have child labor in china building them until they drop dead but the quality is there, Im in! Is the Glass Quaility and coatings of the Bushnell Elite 6500 and Weaver Tactical comparable to say a VX3 and a Nikon Monarch????

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have no first hand knowledge of the 6500 series. But i cant tell a difference between the weaver glass and a vx3. Both are very clear to me

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Come on guys this is a group based more around paper punching and competition than hunting. Don't tell me their are not some guys on here that have owned a few of these scopes at same time here. Somebody is buying these scopes speak up!!!

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stanley13 I can't believe that Meopta has not been mentioned I have a Meostar R1 3x10x50 on my Steyr Scout 308 rifle. I paid $500.00 for it at Scotts in Jay Florida and can't tell you how much I like this scope. I would put it next to any $1000.00 scope. I am like you I want the best bang for my buck and I tell you I found it with this scope.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stanley13 I can't believe that Meopta has not been mentioned I have a Meostar R1 3x10x50 on my Steyr Scout 308 rifle. I paid $500.00 for it at Scotts in Jay Florida and can't tell you how much I like this scope. I would put it next to any $1000.00 scope. I am like you I want the best bang for my buck and I tell you I found it with this scope.

Either u did not read my post at all or u have a site with a better selection on Meopta scopes than I do. All I have found is either not enough high zoom or it starts at 6x zoom as the low end for the Meopta's. I want 5x or lower on low zoom and 18-20x zoom or higher on high side. With no exception. I already have a VX3 6.5x20-50mm on the way for a differ rifle. this project requires a wide range of low to high.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sorry I did not pay attention to your stringent requirements. Good luck with your quest.

Top Bottom