Target Sports

Cant decide on barrel lenght/style for my next rifle. Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I want to do one more before I quit with the AR15 stuff for a while, I'm having a real hard time deciding which way I want to go. I was originally wanting to to a 14.5 or less inch pinned lightweight barrel, but then I keep trying to tell myself to stick with a 16in so I don't have to worry about the length of the muzzle brake. And then I thought about scraping the lightweight barrel and going complete opposite with a HBar . I don't know why but I'm having a real hard time clicking the "purchase" buttons on each barrel for fear that I'll be pissed I went a certain way. I'm like a women. The rational way would just be to build on of each but that's not on the table right now.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not much help, but I'm getting ready to re-barrel my Colt 6920 with a 16" BCM midlength ELW barrel and change the FF tube to either a lightweight MI tube or an SLR solo lightweight. I thought about going with a pinned 14.5, but already have one and kind of wish I had went 16" on it.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For what reasons? Also if you want a lightweight/ slim handguard, take a look at the Seekins NOXs or the new Faxon firearms handguard, I will be doing one of those here in the next week or so.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For what reasons? Also if you want a lightweight/ slim handguard, take a look at the Seekins NOXs or the new Faxon firearms handguard, I will be doing one of those here in the next week or so.

Re-barreling because it's starting to open up on me. The reason for wishing I had went 16" instead of 14.5"; just for ease of changing stuff like muzzle devices.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I danced with this same subject as well. My opinion is I don't see any real gains of going to 14.5", unless your installing a can and even then the gain is only a couple inches.
    For my usage at the current time a mid-length 16" lightweight will suffice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you want something completely different. I really like my 7.5" pistol. The upper was bought complete from adams arms, and the piston system is really nice. Seems very durable and it is really easy to clean. Accuracy is really good to 200 yards and maybe more but thats the farthest ive shot. The barrel comes as a 1:7 twist so it will handle a wide range of bullet weights. On the back end I have a thordsen customs enhanced buffer tube cover with cheek rest. The rest is comfortable and provides the "perfect length" to rest your cheek for a good solid hold. Adams also has longer length barrels if thats what you want

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    While 14.5 is really not that much shorter than 16, it makes for a much better balanced rifle IMO. I'd be happy to met you at the range to let you check out my particular example of the breed. My favorite barrel in the world is WC's 14.7" Paul Howe barrel left in stainless. It's pretty cheap too if you think about what it is. I also have a target from this barrel showing a 1/2" 3 round group. That's better than a lot of "Wylde HBARs" out there. Best of both worlds.
    Just my dos Pesos.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For light and slim handguards, the BCM KMR Alphas are very nice. Same form factor as the originals but much cheaper.

PS.. I sell this stuff by the way.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    SBR your lower and you can use any size barrel you want. I started off 10.5" then went 7.5" and now 12.5" and that's where it will stay. It's very comfortable and perfect for close quarters or 100yd shots.

65cf196b0fda6f92b205f4cda16c9c4c.jpg

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the opinions guys, I think I will go the 14.5 or less mid length and pin it.
    I really like the 13.7in pinned barrels as well.
    I have done the pistol in the past and really enjoyed it for a while but lost interest in It and ended up parting it out.
    I will eventually go down the NFA route but not quite ready to do that.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I danced with this same subject as well. My opinion is I don't see any real gains of going to 14.5", unless your installing a can and even then the gain is only a couple inches.
    For my usage at the current time a mid-length 16" lightweight will suffice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Yep even with a can I prefer an 11 and a half sometimes at 12 and a half inch barrel. An 11 and a half inch with my 308 can on it is the same length as my 16 inch guns.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

Top Bottom