• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slfree

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seriously. Got a new Bodyguard 380 just before Christmas. Came with a nice soft case to carry it around in. That's where the trouble started. I also have a house load of dogs. The bad ones are half ? and half Husky. They are smart and much like 2 year olds. All had homes that fell through. I had set the case on some laundry on a table out of their reach. My son (adult) grabs it as we are leaving and I thought he took it as my hands were full. But what he did was set it back down, just on the table, well within their sniffer zone. Out of site out of mind we left.
    They liked the case most. The gun was loaded chambered and the safety was off. Mostly they knawed the grip and grip extinsion, actually managing to get the magazine to eject. And they chewed the spare mag. I was sick and a bit murderous towards the dogs. But they lived.
    Took it apart today and looked it over. Can sand and file the grip to smooth over the bite marks. Nothing penetrated. Cleaned it up and it looked like I would still be able to use it although it will never be pretty again. Here is the problem, the magazines won't seat. They seem to seat and will even hold open the slide but the slightest pressure and out they come. I know they don't have teeth long enough to reach the inner workings of the release and there is not a mark on the button on either side. I wonder if they may have broken something inside when they chewed the magazine out. The mags are hard steel and except for the plastic bases appear fine.
    Somehow I doubt S&W is going to repair this under warranty, which also means I have to pay to send it to them. I suppose I'll find a local Smith.
    Any input is appreciated as well as names of Gunsmiths in the Houston area. I think the release is reversable so it may be a easy fix. I don't know.
    And yes I feel quite stupid.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would send it back to S&W and tell the the dogs ate your gun, after a good laugh, I'm sure they will fix it up like new for you just out of a good story.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My husky chewed a case for one. They are the worse, do not leave anything below shoudler level that you don't want to be chewed.

slfree

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would send it back to S&W and tell the the dogs ate your gun, after a good laugh, I'm sure they will fix it up like new for you just out of a good story.
    I took your advice and emailed Smith&Wesson. They said just send it in on their dime and they would let me know.
    A couple weeks later I get a note that it's on its way back.
    Arrived today. Everywhere that there was a chew mark, that part was replaced. New grip frame, trigger, even the chewed up mag base.
    I had told them I could live with an ugly gun and was concerned about the mags not seating.
    Really, none of this was covered by warranty. They just fixed it and sent it back.
    I've enjoyed S&W Guns since I bought a model 581 in 1978. Had a 4506 in the 80's that had the grip recalled. I wanted the straight grip they usen on the 10mm. The gun still wears that grip today.
    So its all my best to the venerable S&W.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thats AWESOME customer service! Should have taken before and after pictures and made S&W famous for their extra efforts. Should have told them you made a few mistakes stippling the frame, haha.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorweee
    images.jpeg

No cost! Truly Outstanding. It was no big deal in the old days, just replace the grips. I can't recall ever hearing about a long gun chew toy.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      5.8 KB · Views: 251
    Last edited:

Bones2586

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Excellent news! Have had great experiences with S&W, for the couple items have sent them. Very easy to work with. Great story!

Top Bottom