• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good morning!

I sincerely hope everyone had a great Christmas and looking forward to the new year!

We will take January off and begin our first Saturday matches in February. As we close in on that month, I will send an email (and post on this forum) looking for volunteer ROs and anticipated head count. Depending on the head count response will determine if we will have the match. I will be looking for 12+ shooters.

We'll start February off with the GSSF-style match. If anyone would like to see something different, please let me know. I do have the "OutLaw" match rules on the website which is a combo of IDPA and USPSA. Afterwards we can have a plate rack challenge side match! If you IDPA ROs want to have an IDPA match, let me know and I'll oversee you ROing the match. There is enough steel to perform a non-santioned steel match. We will strive to make the June match the last one over the summer months and pick it back up in September-October weather permitting. If you do have ideas, please let me know and be willing to help out!

Thanks for coming out in 2015!!! :nod:

Regards,
    Bob Curry - MD :yo:
    www.bulletsandbonesdfs.com

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I come out to Bullets and Bones all the time, what a great range - I'd really like to try shooting in a match but I'm a beginner (at best). Are these matches something I could participate in?

I don't want to get in the way of those of you who know what you're doing and have experience!

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hello Drew!!!!

The GSSF-Style matches are very first-time shooter friendly. There is no pull from a holster; static shooting on the clock. You can bring most any handgun to the matches and the rules are located on the B&B website. A lot of the more experienced shooters use this match to increase their accuracy on the timer! It's a lot of fun and I'll personally walk you through the courses of fire. Bring ammo because you will want to do it again and again....!

See you at the range!
    Bob

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For drew and anyone else who is interested in shooting with Bob at B&B......you are in good competant hands!! Get your feet wet and you'll regret not having started sooner.

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, great news - I'll be there for sure. Bob, thank you for offering to help out a newbie I really do appreciate it!

I will be keeping an eye out for the schedule on here.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Uh oh, Bob. You hooked another one. Drew, you better start stocking up on ammo. You gonna be havin' sum funnnnnn! Just take your time and learn to crawl, before you walk, before you run and build good foundation skills and you'll improve faster than you thought. Have a great time.

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here we go!!!

Hello everyone!!! :yo:

We will be ringing in 2016 with another Glock-Style match on Saturday, February 6 at Bullets and Bones!

This year, I will ask everyone planning to attend to "RSVP" your intent to shoot so I have a rough head count going into the match. Last year we witnessed a few shooters having a friendly competition among themselves :boxing: to see who could out shoot the other and was fun to watch. :cheer2:

We will begin shooting at 0930 and the match will end at 1430. You can come early to warm up on the regular pistol range before the competition. Also you have full use of the range before, during, and after the match so bring your long guns too! Extra scoresheets can be purchased for $5 up at the registration office and I always have a few down at the match site. Most folks shoot 2-4 times so plan to bring plenty of ammo. :nod:

There will be 3 courses of fire with the longest target(s) being 60'. To navigate the courses it is recommended to bring at least 4 magazines but it is not a requirement. 2 courses will require 3 strings (3 magazines) and the plate rack requires 4 strings (4 magazines). More match information is located on the Bullets and Bones website, http://www.bulletsandbonesdfs.com/eventscompetitions.htm. There are 4 divisions (Div1, Div2, Revolver, Ladies) and the times above over rule the website information.

I am looking for 3-4 volunteers to help RO the match. I will be helping the new shooters individually so please support the match. If you have a timer bring it but we normally have 3 on site.

Bring your friends and anyone new to the sport. This is the best type of match to introduce new shooters! Since we are shooting steel, everyone must wear eye/ear protection while the match is "hot".

If you have questions please contact me via email. I look forward to seeing everyone again on the 6th!!!

Be safe,
    Bob Curry :thumb:

drew

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Should we just RSVP on here? If so - I'm in! (I'm guessing that's obvious by now, but just in case! haha)

bcane98

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hook, line, and sinker! I was just looking at the B&B website, curious about the competition stuff, and I find my answers here.. woohoo! I'm excited, not sure what to do though, the wife is nervous, and both of us are new to competition shooting. She is new to shooting all together, but I am sure y'all will give pointers to help better our abilities. Bob... consider me (Rick) and Angi (wife) as part of the fun... she reminded me that she has no clue what to do, and I said Bob will be there to help us out :) Then I said we should go to the range to (1) know the location and (2) maybe get a membership :)

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    This is a great place to start competing. It is a simple and safe way to get started. I'm hoping my wife will come and give it her first try as well. My son and I started competing there a couple years back and it is really fun. Since there are no squads you just shoot at your own pace. Nobody is going to rush you and Bob and the guys will make sure you are safe and have fun.

bcane98

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK... Looks like my son wants to play too... What exactly should we bring:

Our shooting tools:
    Rick: P226 9mm, 3 mags
    Angi: P229 9mm, 3 mags
    Alec: SD9VE, 3 mags

Look like I will be purchasing a few more magazines for future comp's.

Do we need holsters?

How many rounds should we each bring?

Is there a video or something that will give us an overview of what to expect? Nothing like showing up with absolutely no clue and clinging to someone :)

What does the $20 entry fee cover? Credit/Debit Card OK or is cash the best method?

Will I need to purchase anything else? I noticed on the front page something about extra targets.

Your assistance in our preparation is greatly appreciated :)

Sincerely,
    Rick

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Rick,

Thanks for all the questions!

Here we go................

Do we need holsters? No. This is stand and shoot with no reloads on the clock. If you do bring a holster, there will be a "safe zone (no ammo there) to put your weapon in the holster. Actions will be locked back and no magazines in the gun. Come find me and I'll show you the "safe" ropes!

How many rounds should we each bring? 81 per Division 1 and 60 for Division 2. That is the minimum round counts. I would suggest 100 per shooter per each time you enter.

Is there a video or something that will give us an overview of what to expect? Nothing like showing up with absolutely no clue and clinging to someone
    Yes. Open your browser and type in "GSSF videos". Should be quite a few to see!

What does the $20 entry fee cover? Credit/Debit Card OK or is cash the best method? Range fee and first set of scoresheets (3). You can purchase more scoresheets at registration for $5 or wait until you are done and see me down range. I always have them at my truck. Cash, CC, Debit is all good!!

Will I need to purchase anything else? I noticed on the front page something about extra targets. No. We provide all the targets/pasters and paint for the plate rack. Just bring a great smile :bounce:
    ----------------------
    Once you show up, I will go over the range commands before you are on the line. I suggest watching a few shooters to get the hang of it. You will ask yourself why didn't we do this sooner??! It's a lot of fun.

I hope I was able to answer your questions and if more come up I'll do my best to reply by Friday. You can also PM me.

Bob :usa:

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hello all!

Thank you to those of you who have emailed in your "RSVP"!

I'm still in need of 2 ROs for this Saturday's match. Anyone out there?

I hear the weatherman has guarantied great shooting weather :)

Previously I stated the match would end at 230pm but with such a nice forecast let's keep it rolling until 330-400pm!

See y'all on Saturday,
    Bob

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Bob it is going to be a little too cool for my wife on Saturday but I will be coming over to shoot. Russ

bcane98

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We didn't get a chance to say "Thank You" for your assistance with everything on the range today... Our plans quickly changed once we realized how late it was on our way out the gate for lunch, but a BIG THANK YOU to Bob, all the RO's, and the shooters that help corral us to the right place at the right time. Your guidance and patience is greatly appreciated and you will definitely see more of us in the future :)

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    It was a great day to shoot. Everyone was very friendly as usual. It was cool to see so many new shooters. I was the new shooter a year ago. As far as I can tell I made way more mistakes today than the new shooters. I loaded my mags with nine rounds on my second rotation - duh. It was a fun event. Once you get the itch their are a lot of fun matches in the area and they all welcome new shooters. Thanks to Bob and the Bullets and Bones folks for making it happen.

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What a great day!!!

Thank you to all the new shooters for coming out and enjoying the entry level match. I thoroughly enjoyed talking it up with you and having the ability to show you the ropes. My hat is off to the volunteer ROs for their support!!! Without them we cannot perform the matches.

Now that I have opened that door, is there a need for a "RO class"? When I started in the GSSF circuit, the ROs were all volunteer, learned on the job, and that is true to this day. I like being educated on the ins and outs of ROing and watched for a while before I stepped up and volunteered my time at the larger matches. I have learned a lot, even went out and secured a RSO certification with the NRA. Being an RO at the Glock-style matches is not hard but it does require you to be aware of what to look for on the line to be safe. If you feel you would like to volunteer as a RO for this type of match and a class would be beneficial, let me know both on this forum and via PM/email. We would do the class at Bullets and Bones on the comp range and everybody will have a chance to RO on the firing line. Only cost would be the range fees so the class is free. Let me know!!

Thanks again for supporting the matches on the east side of "town",
    Bob

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bcane98?! Was that you and your wife with the His and Hers Sig Legions?

Latest posts

Top Bottom