• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My wife and I hunted this PM. It was god-awful hot. 84deg in my shooting house when I stepped in. (Yes,I have a thermometer on the wall.) Just before sunset 'til shooting time I had 7 deer come onto the plot. Three bucks and the rest does. One buck was pretty nice but nothing that I wanted to shoot. My wife had one spike step out.

We heard no shots at all and there must be 50 plots within earshot. I'm guessing that most hunted this AM and will tomorrow.

Good luck to all. Post what you see and/or kill please. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I hunted this PM. It was god-awful hot. 84deg in my shooting house when I stepped in. (Yes,I have a thermometer on the wall.) Just before sunset 'til shooting time I had 7 deer come onto the plot. Three bucks and the rest does. One buck was pretty nice but nothing that I wanted to shoot. My wife had one spike step out.

We heard no shots at all and there must be 50 plots within earshot. I'm guessing that most hunted this AM and will tomorrow.

Good luck to all. Post what you see and/or kill please. --- SAWMAN

A lot of deer also moved from 8 am all the way till 2 pm yesterday. I hunted and saw 4 does at 8:20 am and then saw a basket rack 6pt at 10:07 am. After I got down I went to get my dogs around 1pm and saw a doe walking around on South Spencer Field Rd in Pace.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    They were moving tonight also. Before sunset I had three on the plot. My wife had three also. I could have slammed a nice doe but my club did not get the doe tags yet soooooooo ...............

Heard two shots,one of which could have been on my club. The other quite far away. Both just before shooting time.

The deer are tearing up the sweet potatoes. Stopped cutting them up so that they can only nip off a small piece at a time. At it again in the AM. Been using my Rem 700 AAC version with the 16" bbl chambered in 308Win. Using a handloaded Barnes 130gr TSX. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00996.JPG
      DSC00996.JPG
      449.3 KB · Views: 299

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took my son and 5 yr old grandson out Sat 28th to my club in Walnut Hill. Nothing moving in the am - moon was pretty full. We have our doe tags, even so does have been hard to come by this year. We had 9 7 pt or better bucks and only 4 does and the land owner wants 2 - 1 does to bucks. Came back in around 10 and went back out a little after 2 to a club stand that has been productive in the past - I went in 1st and it was full of wasps - was getting late so I made a call back and had them move us to an alternate stand on the board and we packed up and moved. We were up and ready by 3:15, the feeder went off at 3:30. I told Justin where to look for deer to come in - a spot about 200 yrs away from the shooting house. The plan was for him to hold the rifle and use the scope and when the time was right Caleb would pull the trigger. My older son was going to loan them a rifle with low recoil but couldn't do it so I brought my 22-250 with 50 gr Hornady Super Performance (4000 fps at the muzzle with my 24" barrel - or so their ballistic tables say). 4:15 Justin spots a doe with a yearling coming in where I said they might. Everyone got excited but what made this grandpa proud was that 5 yr old, even though he watched them walk the 100 yds in browsing to the feeder, kept quiet and still until his daddy told him to pull the trigger. Justin went for the neck shot - hit a little low but the doe was DRT - not one step and when she went on the scales weighed in at 90 lbs. Absolutely destroyed the tissue - glad he took the shot he did - with the exception of a little shoulder meat everything else was intact. Just about the happiest 5 yr old in the world that day - got to ride a 4 wheeler with his dad and pull the trigger on a nice doe.

Attachments

• caleb.jpg
      caleb.jpg
      170.1 KB · Views: 244
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Went out last PM with another forum member. Had a medium sized doe step out about sunset. She stayed in the shadows and was extremely skiddish. She was feasting on sweet potatoes and doing the head bob thing. It took me about 10 minutes to make sure she was not a button buck. After that she went off into the thick brush. She came back out about 10 minutes before shooting time was to end.

She was not quite as big as I wanted and she was in constant movement. I'll pass. I have much bigger does on game camera. --- SAWMAN

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hunted on Escribano Friday morning and Sunday afternoon. State managed land that borders Eglin's hunting area. Very warm for sure. Friday, I saw a lot of squirrels but no deer. I did see where a bear had left it's business-:) Sunday afternoon, I saw the bear for about 15 seconds. He obviously heard me come in and knew where I was. When I saw him, he was heading in the opposite direction. I was glad about that!-:) Saw a turkey about 45 mins later in the same spot. No deer. Rode out to Perdido river this afternoon to look around. Took my daughter and my mini-schnauzer with me. They both had fun walking the trail along the river but my schnauzer got loaded with ticks. My daughter and I had insect repellent on but I didn't want to put in on my schnauzer. That was a mistake. I had to trim her down close and pick the ticks off.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ahhhhhhhhhh .....Eglin. Took some deer from there and a couple of really nice hogs thru the years(2003-2010)that my wife and I hunted it. Finally the rules got too "tuff" to follow so I quit hunting there. I finally woke up and got a boat to hunt the Escambia River WMA. Great hunting in there AFTER you learn where to go ... and when.

Nowadays it is strictly private land for me. Have a hunting club close by and farm land available. Got a bad Boy Buggy,72V all electric,to cruse around in. It is mo-bedda for the old guys like me.

When we hunted Eglin we saw tons of bear sign,in some places,more than Maine. We mostly hunted off of RR211(to the N side)and off of Hwy. 285 to the W(Titi Creek area). Lots of hog sign in there and under hunted.

Good Luck this year to all. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00973.JPG
      DSC00973.JPG
      548.4 KB · Views: 240
    Last edited:

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I thought about trying to hunt Eglin but it seemed like too much hassle so didn't but when Escribano opened up, I figured I try.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    M/L on private land starts this weekend. Also doe days. Who's gonna hunt ??

Ever see a chopped M/L ?? I will post up pics of mine tomorrow. Short,light,thumps at both ends. I use 3,50gr Trip 7 pellets and a 295gr Power Belt. It is a T/C Omega that I built for swamp hunting before I moved down here. --- SAWMAN

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a quota to hunt Perdido 5-7 Dec. 5 Dec is my daughters birthday(yes both of them. One is adopted and will be 10, the other biological and will be 24 on the same day-:), so may not make it on sat. Will likely try Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. I have hunted the north end before but may try south of I-10 at least one day. Drove out to check it out the other day. Looked like some good areas but it's hard to know without having hunted there before. I grew up hunting in S. La. and joined the service and have been gone since. However I still like going out but would really like to get a hog.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I believe that there are several people around that hunt or have hunted Perdido pretty regular. They would be a god source of info. I have hunted both sides of I-10 but only twice and that was years ago. I have been hearing that it is somewhat underhunted. Especially off of Hwy. 99N.

I am not sure that there are lots of hogs in there but that is what I was always after. Good Luck --- SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am heading up tomorrow am to our lease to sweeten up our spots. Wife does not M/L hunt so she will sit my spot with her Xbow while I go to a club spot TBD. Having only zeroed my T/C Trophy - I have a question for you Sawman - with all the smoke that lingers after the shot - how to do know which way the deer ran or do I just circle where it was standing until I pick up a blood trail?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Still some smoke but really not that bad using Trip 7 pellets. Nowhere near the smoke of black powder and tons cleaner.

BTW not telling anyone to use three 50gr Trip 7 pellets in any M/L. Three Pyrodex is altogether different,is not near as hot. Years ago when I started using this load I called Hodgdon. The customer service rep on the phone actually said ....."holy shit" when I told him my load.

I do try to sit with the muzzle pointing in the direction of my shot until the smoke clears somewhat. This at least gives me a direction. Luckily ..... I have only had to track one deer or hog with this gun and it was only about 50yds in the soft white sand in Eglin. --- SAWMAN

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a quota to hunt Perdido 5-7 Dec. 5 Dec is my daughters birthday(yes both of them. One is adopted and will be 10, the other biological and will be 24 on the same day-:), so may not make it on sat. Will likely try Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. I have hunted the north end before but may try south of I-10 at least one day. Drove out to check it out the other day. Looked like some good areas but it's hard to know without having hunted there before. I grew up hunting in S. La. and joined the service and have been gone since. However I still like going out but would really like to get a hog.

I'll be out there Saturday and Sunday, never hunted it, but everyone tells me its good.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Me and a buddy went to my hunting club last PM just before dark to sit my two shooting houses and see what comes in. We both had our thermal guns and was looking for hogs,coyotes,and to see what the deer heard looked like.

Wind was shitty blowing from the houses to the plot but this was the last day to give it a try before M/L starts up on Sat. We both had deer out in front of us pretty much all night with the exception of several slow times of 30-45 minutes or so.

It got pretty cold long about 2130 but we stayed until 2300. I was ready for some coffee about then and was tired of listening to the IP McDavid Mill. If anyone here works over there,for God's sake,tell them to grease the friggin' bearings on the conveyor. JEEEEEEEEEEZE !!! --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well my two trips to hunt at our camp in Conecuh County in November and early December were warm, temps in the 70's. Had fun battling the bugs and wasps but didn't see much in the way of deer. Looks like a good cold front is coming through sometime Wednesday so going to head back up and hunt Friday through Monday. Hopefully the cooler weather will get the deer moving.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In my areas just north of Molino --------> IT'S ON !!!

Time for my thermos,sandwiches,alarm clock,and stay in the shooting house all day. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Top Bottom