• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The folks at Tactical Graphics in Melbourne Florida just returned my stock and I'll have to say they did a nice job.

_DSC6141-Edit-Edit

_DSC6155-Edit

The specifications are:
    Barrel Shilen .224 1:7 twist SS Select Match, Profile #S8.
    Action: Savage Target, right bolt, left port.
    Scope: Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm.
    Scope Base: Bench Source 20MOA Picatinny Base
    Stock: McMillen F/TR Fiberglass stock.
    Graphics: Tactical Graphics, Melborne, FL.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will say it again for you mozella ,, That does look nice .. Nothing like the one of a kind custom builds .. I would almost bet there is a grin crosses your face when you look at it. Thanks for sharing . olecarver

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes that is very nice, I'm grinning now lol! Is it expensive ??

I think the normal stock price is around a hundred bucks, but with the two piece cheek rest it's another twenty five or so and the two tone base coat was an additional twenty five. Check with Tactical Graphics for the exact price.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang that looks pretty slick! I know your just got it back but do you know how durable that finish is? Actually not a very bad price at all for what you get. What was the turnaround time?

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang that looks pretty slick! I know your just got it back but do you know how durable that finish is? Actually not a very bad price at all for what you get. What was the turnaround time?

It's finished with several coats of two-part automotive clear coat, so it's as durable as your car fender, whatever that means to you. I think it should be as good as any painted stock which is to say that it will be harder to repair than a traditional oiled wooden stock. A Tupperware stock or a molded fiberglass stock can get scratched without being too obvious, but stocks like mine with a very glossy finish will show scuffs more than normal. On the other hand, it's a special competition rifle and they tend to get more careful handling than the typical hunting rifle. That's all I know for sure except that people with hydro dipped stocks finished with two part clear claim that they're plenty durable.

Most companies, even local ones, claim they need a full month (or more) and I hear some of them actually take 6 or 7 weeks to deliver. Tactical Graphics in Melbourne, FL told me something like 7 to 10 business days but they actually had my finished stock, which required at one extra painting step, back in the hands of FedEx on the morning of the 5th business day. Good for them.

Bones2586

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great looking stock! Nice!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not know much about the hydro dip process. I have seen some really great looking finished jobs that I would consider. Was just wondering about:

* How long does the process take ??
    * This proces is for stocks only,right ??
    * Will it apply to both wood and plasitc ??
    * Average cost ??
    * And most important .... the longivity ?? Will this stand up to hard usage ?? Solvents ?? Sweat ?? Blood ?? etc..........

Thanks for any and all responses. --- SAWMAN

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    H
    I do not know much about the hydro dip process. I have seen some really great looking finished jobs that I would consider. Was just wondering about:

* How long does the process take ??
    * This proces is for stocks only,right ??
    * Will it apply to both wood and plasitc ??

* Average cost ??
    * And most important .... the longivity ?? Will this stand up to hard usage ?? Solvents ?? Sweat ?? Blood ?? etc..........

Thanks for any and all responses. --- SAWMAN

The process consists of preping the surface i.e. Sandblast, scuffing etc. Then spray with a base color primer. Then dip in the film, activator etc. Spray part of with water. Then lastly a clear coat.
    There is drying time between the base coat, dipping and clear coat.
    The best way to describe the durability, longevity is to compare it to automotive paint. If you wouldn't put the chemical on the side of your cars finish then you don't want to use it on your hydro dipped part.

It will adhere to pretty much anything that can be submerged in the water for a few seconds. Obviously rubber and any flexible object like that won't work.

Greg at TGD does the hydro dipping and does a good job and can give you some good info on it.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you sir for the above info. Considering having a couple of rifle stocks "dipped". Both are the hard plastic style. I suppose it would adhere to that,right. --- SAWMAN

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you sir for the above info. Considering having a couple of rifle stocks "dipped". Both are the hard plastic style. I suppose it would adhere to that,right. --- SAWMAN

Yes sir, it will adhere good to it.

Top Bottom