• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Way long ago as an Armory O, once you see seen one; you've seen them all. Only nine different types. At the time privately owned firearms belonging to Marines could be stored there too.

I had credibility with my CO. I don't ever recall anyone in the Medical Bn with a title of Armory Officer, but I guess someone had to be in charge or maybe we were too small a unit for that position. Maybe the Armory was under one of the "S's", S1, S2, etc shops. CO told the armorers I had same access as them and that was that as far as I could see. Armorers were great guys, one white, one black; told me the "secrets" of the armory...as 1st Echelon they said they could only tighten grip screws, but were trained to do more, so we weren't authorized any spare parts, so they kept spare parts hidden in the overhead of the armory so inspectors wouldn't see them...they were prepared to fix what they could if needed and needed right away. The Cpl did take me over to the higher echelon maintenance building/unit (3rd or 4th echelon I think) in case I needed to take something in or pick something up, but never taught me any paperwork, so I don't know how that would have worked out OK. I took the Marine Corps Institute course in small arms repair and maintenance so I could get the manual. Great manual with lots of detail, but I lost it when my house burnt.

I really enjoyed that tour. Won shooting trophies, had my pic taken with the general, shot my Thompson at the 1000" range with USMC supplied ammo.

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    From what I understand, the "Mattel made" m16 were a myth. Of course, when I joined the a2 was considered a dinosaur and people thought pasgat was Vietnam era.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had credibility with my CO. I don't ever recall anyone in the Medical Bn with a title of Armory Officer, but I guess someone had to be in charge.......

I really enjoyed that tour. Won shooting trophies, had my pic taken with the general, shot my Thompson at the 1000" range with USMC supplied ammo.

USMC Armory O was a Company Grade "Collateral Duty" same as Responsible O. You are accountable for the security, inventory, readiness, inspections, Range Safety O, and so on.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking forward to see what they have and for how much they're selling them. You can bet anything rare or exceptional will end up on the auction site.

Do I remember many years ago, under slick willy I believe, the government dumped some 1.5 mil 1911s into the Pacific? They claimed they were worn out. I wonder if they're anywhere near my lost gun collection.

Rick

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do I remember many years ago, under slick willy I believe, the government dumped some 1.5 mil 1911s into the Pacific? They claimed they were worn out. I wonder if they're anywhere near my lost gun collection.

Rick

I don't know about the 1911s, but I know it happened with the Garands for certain.

Top Bottom