• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good news for us and the CMP. I figure this will take awhile, but worth the wait. Anybody care to hazard a guess on prices??? They'll be high i think, as CMP doesn't have near the inventory they used to have and these need to fund the org for a long time. Next, someone should address the m16 issue.......make semi and sell as well.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Doubt we will ever see a m16, or m4 for sale. To many third world militates to arm for proxy wars.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Orst always said that they would sell the M14s before the doors of the CMP close...those would be sweet.

With only 1500 or so 1911s available - they'll sell the good ones by auction and offer the beaters either on a first come basis, or by lottery.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think about it, why would ears do this. There must be some alternate plan like making sure all the guns go to chicargo thugs so they can be used to kill. Thusly, he has an excuse to shut down the CMP.

You can bet anything that pos does is well calculated and vetted for any political gains or advancement of his agenda. Don't for one second think he did this to help out America's gun owners.

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got 10 brand new 7 round surplus 1911 magazines for $8 each from the CMP.

Good deal me thinks.

I'm thinking you should probably give half of them to an old friend that has helped you out several times with your M-1s. I'm sure he would be most appreciative.

Rick

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Articles state there are 100,000 of the 1911 being stored/maintained. Early estimated purchase price was $750+. Price on this cash cow may start much higher due to current interest. CPM was clear on the fact they needed the 1911s to help fund the Program long term. We will never see the reasonable prices on arms as was the case prior to 1965 even adjusted or inflation. The price of history could well exceed my nostalgia wallet especially when compared to modern platforms.

If jewels like Singer and Remington Rand are in the mix, they will be priced accordingly. People with current "property of" 1911s may take a hit in value.

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ok. Noob question here. But with all the alphebet soup with the feds. What is CMP? And can/how a private citizen purchase from this organization. Thanks.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Articles state there are 100,000 of the 1911 being stored/maintained. Early estimated purchase price was $750+. Price on this cash cow may start much higher due to current interest. CPM was clear on the fact they needed the 1911s to help fund the Program long term. We will never see the reasonable prices on arms as was the case prior to 1965 even adjusted or inflation. The price of history could well exceed my nostalgia wallet especially when compared to modern platforms.

If jewels like Singer and Remington Rand are in the mix, they will be priced accordingly. People with current "property of" 1911s may take a hit in value.

In my last tour with the Marines (1975-1977) (I was a Hospital Corpsman) I went over each of the 400 M1911A1's the medical battalion had. 1 pistol with serial number "7" hand stamped crookedly on the frame with no other markings. 1 WWI colt slide. No Union Switch and Signal frames or slides. No Singer frames or slides. All the rest were WWII Colt, Ithaca, and Remington Rand, mostly Ithaca and Remington Rand frames and slides. Oh, some later replacement numbered slides; a few slide stops and safeties were blued instead of parkerized. Went over the 400 M16's. No Mattel. A few H&R and GM with the vast bulk being Colts, some marked M16E1, but most marked M16A1.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bet they will be trying to get over a thousand per unit, you can pick up new high end ones for that kind of money m16, trade my Remington Rand for a brand new S & W model 19 back in the early seventies

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go to Link. It will be a while till they get a handle on what 1911s their getting and condition. They may get them in batches/lots so actual inventory by Mfg and condition will vary. They will know the value of any rare or pristine 1911s, expect the quality you pay for. Sales will follow and their Site will keep you up to date.

https://thecmp.org/

Ok. Noob question here. But with all the alphebet soup with the feds. What is CMP? And can/how a private citizen purchase from this organization. Thanks.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bruce, I'm impressed that you were given free reign to look over the inventory. In my 20 yrs in...I had no desire back them to drool over the stuff in the armory lest as a junior Marine I wanted to be on permanent cleaning detail for the zero's who qualified...by then it was all M-9's and M16-A2's. Anything else was gotten rid of by them...(post 1985). I'm looking forward to the 1911 release as I plan on getting a good 'shooter'...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Way long ago as an Armory O, once you see seen one; you've seen them all. Only nine different types. At the time privately owned firearms belonging to Marines could be stored there too.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bruce, I'm impressed that you were given free reign to look over the inventory. In my 20 yrs in...I had no desire back them to drool over the stuff in the armory lest as a junior Marine I wanted to be on permanent cleaning detail for the zero's who qualified...by then it was all M-9's and M16-A2's. Anything else was gotten rid of by them...(post 1985). I'm looking forward to the 1911 release as I plan on getting a good 'shooter'...

It was 2nd Medical Bn, 2nd FSSG, 2nd MarDiv, Camp Lejeune. I was in H&S Company, first in charge of Health Records (1st Class Hospital Corpsman) and later in charge of service records. CO of H&S was a Marine Captain. He knew I liked guns and let me form an intramural rifle and pistol team. To my dying day I'll never forget him saying, "Doc, I don't care what you do as long as you don't make work for me." Good, let's start shooting up some of our quarterly allotment of ammo that was never used. He also made me an "alternate armorer"...in other words, I had armory access. Our Marine armorers liked that (Cpl and LCpl) as it gave them more freedom to take leave, liberty, and make runs to take guns in for higher echelon maintenance (our armory was only 1st echelon). CO let me carry my WWII S&W Victory model instead of the 1911A1. Our armorers didn't screw with my guns, as I helped them. I kept my M1A1 Thompson Submachinegun in the armory too.

Everyone in the Bn had to check out their weapon every 2 weeks to "clean" it or no liberty (we had to report to the CO anyone not checking out their weapon...we didn't know if they were on leave or sick, we just did the report). Everyone carried a weapon when in the field. Contrast that with my first tour in a grunt unit (3rd Bn, 6th Marines, 2nd MarDiv)...the only time Corpsmen saw their 1911A1 was when they checked into the Bn...we NEVER carried them; never fired them, just carried an empty, polished black holster.

This is all true, and not a Sea Story. I imagine people aren't trusted as much in the military now. Well, one more story: They wanted a SNCO to live in the barracks with the Sgt and below. I was single, so why not. Barracks had a private room w/head on the 2nd floor that I could lock. I was provided a TV and a civilian looking bed. I shoot on the weekends...OK, you can have your private firearms in your room for cleaning/whatever and put them back in the armory when done with shooting/cleaning.

I decided to start going through all the weapons in between issuing them for the biweekly cleaning. I knew of Singer 45's and decided to see if we had one. M16's...I was ignorant, but had heard the rumor of Mattel's in Vietnam, so I looked. Our M60's were a mix of Springfield Armory and Maremont Corp. Our M2 50cal HB's were a mix of WWII (High Standard, Fridgeadare, Kaiser Hayes Wheel Works, and maybe one Colt, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to the 50's. One time in the field we fired the quarterly ammo allotment of 40,000 7.62 rounds through one M60 bbl and wore the bbl out. I'd reserve a close by pistol range and anyone who wanted to could check out a 45 and come shoot (safely, but more informal than Marines were used to)...the Marines and Corpsmen loved it. I got the empties, later given away.

Decided to post my story, indicating my thoughts that there probably aren't a bunch of rare 45's left.

Top Bottom