• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Ya mag and ammo commonality was a huge factor in our matching CCW and sidearm choice.

So it looks like so far I have 6 votes for the mini 14, 4 votes for the M1 carbine, and three votes for AR15. Who knows, maybe I'll catch the wife on a good day and get both lol.(probably not gonna happen)

The main issue that seems to be avoided is that it needs to be something she is going to enjoy shooting. The M1 Carbine is lightweight, easy to handle, and a joy to shoot. I really think that your wife needs to have an opportunity to shoot all three of the weapons in order to see what she likes. She should be the one making the decision since she is the one that will be shooting it. I am just trying to look at it from what may be her perspective.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    APPLICATION ---> ??? The first thing that I ask people that want to know what weapon to get is ... "What will be the application(use)of the weapon." This question should be given great consideration weather the weapon will be used for target,hunting,SHTF sorta thing,range/plinking,CCW,or others. Everyones uses are different. What;s good for me,might not be worth a shit for you.

I have owned Mini 14's since 1981. My first was a 181- XXXX serial number. This was even before the "Ranch" was introduced. Before stainless. The twist rate was 1:10 and was rumored to pull bullets apart soon after they left the bbl. I have owned the 183-XXXX series also. I had one chopped to 16.1 inches of bbl. I had another chopped short and a brake installed to make it 16.25 inches.

My uses of the weapons always seemed to change but the Mini would pretty much do what I needed done. In Maine I killed injured moose and bear with the gun. Also killed a 247lb(275lbs on the hoof~) whitetail with it. I also used it to open gate locks when some woodsman or hunter locked me in a road. It shot all ammo good. Some great. I never had any problem with any of the weapons that I have owned which were about 7 IIRC. BTW .... I still own two. One in 223/5.56 and one in 6.8SPC.

I also shot a ton of milspec M855's out of a couple of my Mini's. Like a M14/MiA or an older mil issue Colt 45ACP ... they just seem to get better with age. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The main issue that seems to be avoided is that it needs to be something she is going to enjoy shooting. The M1 Carbine is lightweight, easy to handle, and a joy to shoot. I really think that your wife needs to have an opportunity to shoot all three of the weapons in order to see what she likes. She should be the one making the decision since she is the one that will be shooting it. I am just trying to look at it from what may be her perspective.

^^this....when it boils down to the bottom, it is a fun gun to shoot....m1carbine is my vote

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree "She" should decide. However, if your both in the preper mode for the long haul and this purchase is part of it: the Mini 14 wins.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Like I said I don't live to for from you and you are welcome to come and let her try, I have a couple of M-1 carb. ar's and 9mm carb. Mini 14 and even some 308 carb. . just my 5 cents jj

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom