• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Heard rumor that there was a GSW at SR range today. Nothing substantial to back it up. Anyone got any other details?

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Would not surprise me. I was there yesterday and witnessed many unsafe acts.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Someone attempting to put a Beretta in their pocket (tomcat maybe?) In and out through the thigh, 12" or so... didn't hit an artery and refused an ambulance.

I had planned on going today but got called in to work last minute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wouldn't surprise me, I watched a guy shoot himself in the hand with a .380. This was last year on the pistol range. Only thing he did was say sh$t, wrapped his hand up and left to drive to the hospital....... I was looking at all the people thinking did that just happen.....

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was there when it happened-I didn't witness it but there were a bunch of people on the line when it happened. Another shooter ran into the clubhouse to report some guy had just shot himself in the leg. There was not a range officer on the line, which my view is a real safety concern. I expect some changes in the way they run that line in the future.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was there when it happened-I didn't witness it but there were a bunch of people on the line when it happened. Another shooter ran into the clubhouse to report some guy had just shot himself in the leg. There was not a range officer on the line, which my view is a real safety concern. I expect some changes in the way they run that line in the future.
    A range officer can't prevent it all happening. With firearms going back and forth from bench to bench it can be extremely hard or close to impossible to manage all safe acts with the people that go out there. Even if that range officer was on the line he still could've not seen it. In reality everyone is a range officer. If you witness and unsafe act call a cease fire. The one I saw looked like he was doing everything right but I guess from where I was standing I couldn't see his finger on the trigger. This is another reason why I carry my IFAK everytime I go.:D

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Individual First Aid Kit. Has gauze, clotting agent, tourniquet, decompression needle, stuff like that. Stuff specially meant for gun shot wounds. I also have a SWAT tourniquet and gauze wrapped together that go in my back pocket like a wallet for when I am out in about.

Last edited:

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A range officer can't prevent it all happening. With firearms going back and forth from bench to bench it can be extremely hard or close to impossible to manage all safe acts with the people that go out there. Even if that range officer was on the line he still could've not seen it. In reality everyone is a range officer. If you witness and unsafe act call a cease fire. The one I saw looked like he was doing everything right but I guess from where I was standing I couldn't see his finger on the trigger. This is another reason why I carry my IFAK everytime I go.:D
    You are correct in part-you should never underestimate the capacity for stupidity to overcome your ability to anticipate or prevent it. And first aid kit is always essential. But the range officer needs to be present, diligent, and vigilant-especially when there are novices on the line, as was the case today. From where I was standing on the porch that pistol range was a Charlie foxtrot today and it was several minutes after the injury before they could locate the range officer. He might not have been able to prevent that ND, but by not being there had no opportunity to prevent it. Perhaps he was spread too thin and attending to a problem elsewhere on the range, and perhaps they need more range officers. Those are great people at Santa Rosa Shooting Center but the negligent discharge today needs to come as a wakeup call for management before they have an injury that the victim can't walk away from. It is unfortunate that the young man was injured but at least it was not life threatening and he injured just himself rather than an innocent bystander.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are correct in part-you should never underestimate the capacity for stupidity to overcome your ability to anticipate or prevent it. And first aid kit is always essential. But the range officer needs to be present, diligent, and vigilant-especially when there are novices on the line, as was the case today. From where I was standing on the porch that pistol range was a Charlie foxtrot today and it was several minutes after the injury before they could locate the range officer. He might not have been able to prevent that ND, but by not being there had no opportunity to prevent it. Perhaps he was spread too thin and attending to a problem elsewhere on the range, and perhaps they need more range officers. Those are great people at Santa Rosa Shooting Center but the negligent discharge today needs to come as a wakeup call for management before they have an injury that the victim can't walk away from. It is unfortunate that the young man was injured but at least it was not life threatening and he injured just himself rather than an innocent bystander.

That is unfortunate. I know when I go there on Wednesdays (if I have time from class) there is usually only one range officer. To my understanding it is ran by the state so lets hope nothing bad doesn't turn out from this....

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not really sure how a range officer is supposed to keep someone from putting a loaded pistol in there pocket... this could have happened anywhere.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One reason I head out to my lease to shoot and I'm the only one out there usually! If I get shot, it's my fault! No one else can be an idiot and shoot me!

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not really sure how a range officer is supposed to keep someone from putting a loaded pistol in there pocket... this could have happened anywhere.

Can't disagree, except last time I went there were no loaded weapons off the line(or when cold), and no use of holsters at the line. So, I would expect that loading a firearm and placing it in a pocket would mean a: meaning to draw and fire or b:meaning to go home. *i would think both are counter to the rules*
    Last time I was there the safety officer had no problem getting right up in someone's face when a 17 year old was not *literally* one arms distance away from his father. I understood it's a breach in protocol, but felt he could have had more tact and found a way less likley to escalate a confrontation.
    I'm also under the impression it's now a private owned range(again),

Glad everyone walked away, so to speak.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom