• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Got a MRO in last week. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but have some early observations.

Some background. My first red dot was an Aimpoint PRO several years back. I've owned several and I think it's a SOLID choice for a red dot. It's relatively cheap (can usually find them for below my dealer cost, especially during the holidays), has a nice crisp 2 MOA dot, good range of brightness adjustments, comes with a pretty good mount with an optical axis that can be lower than the standard 1.5" over rail, has lots of options for other mounts and is covered by Aimpoints 10yr warranty.

Over the past couple years I've ended up with a couple of H-1 micros in 4 and 2 MOA flavors (can't really tell the difference). MUCH smaller and lighter than the PRO. Longer battery life. It loses some points for the provided mount (still works fine for me but it's not very sexy), the increased cost and the less crisp dot. The cost has always been a significant issue with the micros. You can almost get 2 PROs for the cost of one Micro. It's up to you to figure out if the size and weight benefits are worth it. It's another solid option but it's an expensive one.

Trijicon joined the fray in the past few months with the MRO. It's definitely bigger than the Micro but also much smaller than the PRO. Some of that size comes from the bigger (than the Micros) objective lens. It's a 2 MOA dot. Adjustment for the brightness is center line on top. No covers for the windage/elev adjustments. Provided mount works and gets me my preferred height over rail. Co-witness and lower 1/3rd are availble for slightly more. At mid $400s it's way less than a Micro and not too much more than a PRO. I can't imagine it's any less durable than the Aimpoint offerings but it's still new so it's got some time to put in before the jury is out.

The dot on the MRO is similar to the Micro's. It's a small 2 MOA but with a magnifier the dot isn't really "round". I've heard the T-2 micros have a much more precise dot under a magnifier. The PRO dot is still a very clear DOT under a magnifier. The only other thing I've noticed with the MRO so far is that there's just a little bit of parallax. Not sure if it's enough to bother me yet.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Put about 50rds through the MCX with the MRO on top.

Significant parallax at all distances that I shot at. I've got a little bit of time with the PRO and Micros and have never had an issue with parallax with either of those. I'll usually leave the objective lens cover on my PRO down because I can run the dot on a dimmer setting and it still works. I was seeing double through the MRO with both eyes open. I was able to zero it at 50 but with both eyes open I had to remind myself to shoot at the higher left image.

For reference, I use a white 8.5"x11" piece of paper, oriented in landscape, with a 2" black pasty in the middle mounted on a card board backer at 50yds. Keeping one eye closed, I was able to zero with no issues. After zeroing, I covered the objective on the MRO with a pasty and with both eyes open, centered the dot on the top left corner of the paper. All rounds hit at or near the center pasty. That's about 4" low and 5" right of POA. Holding steady on the top left corner and removing the pasty, the dot was just about on top of the pasty in the center of the target.

It held zero in the few rounds I put through it but the parallax is a no go. I called Trijicon and they said to send it in. I'll get an RMA and get it sent off and see what they say. The rep on the phone was very friendly and we discussed how I was using it and what I was experiencing just to make sure I wasn't screwing something up. Happy with the help but disappointed in the optic.

The MCX ran great though.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    T has nvg settings and deeper water proofing.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really like idea of the MRO, I don't like the micro dots because of the small lenses, MRO looked like it would suite me pretty well.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Eric was wanting the MRO. Thankfully, I was able to talk him out of it for a Micro.
    The way I see it, unproved and ugly vs proven and slick for a little more.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    gotta give it to Trijicon for bringing competition to the market of small size RDS. Good news for the consumers. having said that, I am surprised that they haven't issued a recall yet with all these teething issues they are currently experiencing with the MRO. Trijicon is a solid company and I have no doubt that they will share the market with Aimpoint eventually. maybe with their Gen 2 MRO, who knows. If I am in the market for a solid RDS around $500, a used T1 gets my money.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Delivered to trijicon yesterday. Email this morning said they received it and expect 2-4 weeks.
    In the mean time. I shot with my aimpoint PRO today and it worked great.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Shipped out from trijicon today. Expected delivery on Monday. 3 and a half weeks. With the holiday, that's not terrible. Interested in what/if anything they did/found.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Got them back.

Trijicon said they looked them over and didn't do anything to them......

Wasn't real happy about that. Messing around with them again on a rifle in the garage I was still getting some parallax. At that point I felt like I was stuck with them. I couldn't in good conscience sell them without fully disclosing my thoughts/experience and I wasn't real sure I wanted to shoot with them.

After playing with eye relief and getting to the range once. I think I've got it figured out well enough to shoot with.

The parallax effect is much more pronounced with longer eye relief. It's also less pronounced with faster shooting. I've set the MRO up as far back as I can and am not getting the parallax nearly as bad.

If I sit there and stare through the lens for extended periods (8-10sec) I either get some parallax or think I'm getting it. Some of that is dependent on how far out my POA is.

If/when I can get a lens cover for them I may just run it with the cover on if the parallax keeps bugging me. I've still got a few more trips to the range with it mounted all the way back to see if that works out.

Some of this may just be me and my eyes. BUT when I shoot my PRO or Micros, this has never been a factor. Will keep you posted. Let me know if you have any questions. If you ever see me at the range, feel free to ask to try them out.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You're welcome to check one out. They've got the "low" mount on them. It works for me but is going to be too low for most and will do a top 3/4 co witness with standard height AR sights.

$420 OTD for the MROs

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Man that stinks. You shouldnt have to mount it so close as it defeats the purpose of a red dot. Quick point of aim with maximum peripheral view of your surrounding.

Top Bottom