Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Florida Report: Open Carry Bill Passes 1st House Committee 10-6-2015

DATE: October 6, 2015
    TO: USF & NRA Members and Friends
    USF Executive Director
    NRA Past President

Today, Tuesday, October 6, 2015, the House Criminal Justice Committee held a hearing on HB-163 by Rep. Matt Gaetz The bill PASSED by a Vote of 8-4.

HB-163 is a bill to allow persons with a Concealed Weapons & Firearms License to carry firearms concealed or openly.

Sheriff Wayne Ivey (Brevard) and representatives of Sheriff Charlie Creel (Wakulla) expressed support for the bill at a press conference with bill sponsors Sen. Don Gaetz and Rep. Matt Gaetz, before the committee meeting. Among other sheriffs who have expressed support for open carry are Sheriff Gordon Smith (Bradford) and Sheriff Chris Nocco (Pasco).

Voting FOR the bill were Republican Reps. Carlos Truijillo, Dennis Baxley, Jay Fant, Gayle Harrell, Ray Pilon, Scott Plakon, Ross Spano and Charles Van Zant.

Voting AGAINST the bill were Democrat Reps. Randolph Bracy, Dave Kerner and Sharon Pritchett -- Rep. Clovis Watson did not vote.

The only Republican to vote against the bill was Chris Latvala (R-Clearwater).

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...ocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=0163&Session=2016

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Make sure your up to dress code.

Does the email say wether one needs a permit or not? Either way, if give a few days so local Leo can't use ignorance as an excuse.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's only passed a committee vote. It has a long way to go before landing on the Governor's desk for signature. Then, he gets to decide if he'll veto...

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Am I reading this right? All the stuff about carrying a firearm is marked out?
    7c0efbd60155284c0aa0a2ee62faf24e.jpg

So we can now legally open carry in FL?

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds all good and smooth, I hope it comes in an goes smooth,, Texas L/E sure went thru a lot of man hrs stopping the John Waynes over there every day for some time. Till it felt comfortable to the public.. I think olecarver will be keeping his covered ,, except mabe fishing or range time.. I'm sure there will be threads with statements against our local L/E double checking those with there firearms out in the open for awhile..

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No JohnB, Governor still needs to sign it, I doubt he will veto it. So next year open carry will probably be a reality for Florida. Oddly enough you will still need a CCW permit to carry openly...

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No JohnB, Governor still needs to sign it, I doubt he will veto it. So next year open carry will probably be a reality for Florida. Oddly enough you will still need a CCW permit to carry openly...
    All about tax $$$ there... while I'm a diehard "shall not be infringed!" kind of guy, at this point, I'll take any step in the right direction.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep great step in the right direction. I do carry owb but concealed of course and have good situational awareness but if you guys start open carrying will you use a different holster for more retention so someone doesn't come behind you and grab it?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep great step in the right direction. I do carry owb but concealed of course and have good situational awareness but if you guys start open carrying will you use a different holster for more retention so someone doesn't come behind you and grab it?
    Probably not... 30 some odd states with open carry... not many examples of that happening over the years.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ya, but id hate to be the exception to that rule.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    There is one and only one reason I hope this passes, if you are conceal carry and you bend down and your shirt raises and shows your weapon you could be in allot of trouble. This would prevent that. That being said I will NEVER open carry. For those that say carrying open deters crime or the age old "Well if he did this I would do that" mentality I would encourage you to google "Knockout game" videos. If said perp is walking towards you and sees your 3K Wilson Combat he very well may decide to BLINDSIDE you and take your weapon. I would prefer to fly under the radar, and if you see mine then it is already too late !

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You're just as unconscious whether you conceal or open carry and get punched in the side of the head...

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You're just as unconscious whether you conceal or open carry and get punched in the side of the head...

But why hit me if I am not flaunting one of the EASIEST thing to sell on the street (a gun). Do you flaunt your cash when you have a wad of hundreds ??????? Same principal.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Firts thing they tell you when you go into a war zone is make yourself as SMALL of a target as you can.

Top Bottom