Patriot Mobile

Any Ruger All American Compact or American Predator Experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Anyone have any experience with these two rifles in the subject line? Net shows varying reviews, and favor the All Weather Compact over the Predator from what I can see.

Also welcome any thoughts about the Ruger compact vs the Mossberg Patrol in .308. Figure if they won't come out with a Patrol in 7.62x39, the .308 is next best option for me.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have the Ruger Predator in .308 caliber. I've only fired it with my Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip reloads in the 2700fps range (I wanted a lighter recoiling load), and it shot them very nicely for accuracy. About 1" groups at 100yd. It also shot accurately with a suppressor (a bit less than 1") mounted.

At first, when the magazine was loaded to capacity (4 rounds), the 2nd round would sometimes fail to be raised enough for the bolt to pick it up. Per Internet posts, I sprayed some silicon spray into the magazine and left it loaded for a couple of days. No more magazine problems. I bought a 2nd magazine, and no problems with that one.

When I got mine, I thought "wow, nice velocity for an 18" bbl". Turns out mine has a 22" bbl. Turns out Ruger has made 2 Predator models in .308...18" and 22". I though there was only 18", ordered a Predator, and a 22" was shipped. I'm OK with it, as it is so accurate, just be sure of the model you want and order.

Have never measured or adjusted the trigger pull on the Predator, and it feels pretty good to me as-is. I did, however, have Sawman reduce the trigger pulls on my 2 Ruger American Ranch rifles in 300BLK...those both needed reduction in pull weight and less creep.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks Tenn.

Good to know Daezee, as I am leaning toward the 18" barrel Predator. Wish they offered one in the All Weather finish, that would be perfect.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Have you given any thought to a RARR. Daezee has two and I have one of them chambered in 300BLK. They also come in 5.56X45.

What great shootin' little guns for not much money. Before you say the trajectories suck,run the numbers for a 110gr bullet at 2400. Know your drops,proper scope,equals hits quite a ways out there. --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The RARR would be good if I was interested in anything but .308 in a compact rifle, and I am not sure about that yet, but I am researching it to see if I think it will do as well as the .30-06. This is for a general use rifle in an area with lots of black bears, and I think the .308 would be the minimum I would want to tote, that would be good for deer or bear. My initial thought was that the .30-06 was a good choice, so exploring options. While I reload, I would like to be able to use commonly available hunting ammo as well.

gonzo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the Mossberg mvp in 556. I had feed issues if I loaded more than 5 rounds. The bullets sat too low. I would have to jiggle the bolt or press the bottom of the magazine almost every round(past 5). I sold it and bought the ruger all American carbine. It has a very smooth bolt and I haven't had any feed issues. However, loading the magazine is a little awkward. I know these are both 556 and you were interested in 308, but I hope this helps anyways.

Top Bottom