• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottt44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can hit a coke can every couple of trys from 40 feet(maybe 50) with time to aim.That's good with me but whats considered proficient? I know I wont be a heavy duty marksman but progress was easy cause I'm new but now it stays about the same.

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I think "proficient" I think more of the safe handling and operating of a firearm, not the accuracy.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Proficient = tie can to captured squirrels tail, release squirrel and shoot can 3 times before it makes it to the closest tree.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    To me, proficiency has to do with consistency. Consistent in being able to be on target and being able to safely and efficiently operate the firearm. There are some, like myself, that are proficient with many different firearm platforms. Not an expert by any means, but can use them well. Many are very proficient with just one or two types of weapon platforms and they are very good with them. Proficiency is going to be at different levels as are people's skills and shooting interests. Also, in my opinion, proficiency also relates to general firearm knowledge. The more you learn, the better off you are.

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Profeciant to me means snapping my fingers and telling my wife to make me a sandwich now, then being able to dodge the objects she throws at me with out being knocked out.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Proficiency isn't something that's ever attained. It's a goal to work towards. Unless shooting is your job, you're never going to be close to proficient because you'll lack the time and resources to get to any sort of true proficiency.

Much like "accuracy", "proficiency" is a nebulous concept. One man's proficient is another man's starting point.

You need to figure out what your standard is going to be and measure yourself against that. Is it reasonable to measure yourself against a professional shooter? Are you looking for bragging rights or an actual performance goal? Are you more concerned with scores in a competition or being able to perform in an an actual SD scenario? (I'm assuming you are like the rest of us and have limited time and money to work at your hobby).

I'd argue that anything you do will help but keep in mind what your goals are and what kind of performance you want/can expect.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Proficient = knows the basics. Knows his weapon. Able to hit the target

Expert = troubleshooter, problem solver. Able to hit the target at a given reasonable time.

Boss = Jogan

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Profeciant to me means snapping my fingers and telling my wife to make me a sandwich now, then being able to dodge the objects she throws at me with out being knocked out.

I tell my wife to get up into that kitchen & rattle some pots & pans...

then promptly go outside....adding on the way out, :when I come back in, I had better smell some bisquits & bacon....

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    First my targets w a handgun are much closer and larger than a coke can and secondly aren't you asking about accuracy not proficiency? I don't put enough ammo down range or shoot often enough to be as good as I wish I was, it takes a lot of practice and time.

Top Bottom