• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was sent the Armasight Predator to test/demo and review by www.Thirdcoastthermal.com, Thanks Cliff for letting me see this new entry level Thermal Weapons Sight from Armasight.

Fed Ex showed up at the door with a compact well packaged box, upon opening the outer box there was the Armasight packaging, inside their box was the canvas case w the Predator inside wrapped in bubble wrap..So you should be receiving your new sight in excellent condition. The mount is already on the scope, tighten to verify and the QD mount is very secure on the rifle.

Cable, extra battery carriage, remote, mount, front lens cover, manual and batteries are all well packaged and all included. This is one compact and light Thermal Weapons Sight, easy to use and operate.

Initial Thoughts:

Upon testing and getting used to the controls the Predator is built like a tank but is as compact and light, easy to use as you would expect for Armasight quality. The fixed focus at 20M -infinity works well from 50yds on out but still shootable at 30yds for close up shots. Once you have the settings set to your vision and preference the Predator remembers them and you can change the brightness, reticle and zoom on the fly.

To sight in the Predator(which I did for 50yds) mount on the rifle (My choice is the 6.8SPC) to get the proper fit for the eyecup. Shoot for the bull from a solid repeatable rest at 50 yds and wherever the bullet hits, holding the rifle in the same position as the first shot move the reticle to the bullet hole. Shoot again and verify your adjustments. All settings remain when turning on/off and changing batteries.

For us hunters that hunt at ranges from 40yds to 200 yds this is an affordable alternative to the higher priced & better spec’d units, you will not feel inadequate at all. Whether you are blind hunting, riding around in your UTV or on a spot and stalk hunt Scanning out to 400 yds and shooting up to 200 yds I believe the quality and performance of the Armasight Predator is what you are looking for!

FrankT, Northwest Fl

www.thirdcoastthermal.com

SPECIFICATION
    SYSTEM DATA:
    Refresh Rate 60 Hz
    Magnification (NTSC/PAL) 1.6x
    Objective Lens Type Germanium
    Type of Focal Plane Array FLIR Tau 2
    Pixel Array Format 336×256
    Pixel Size 17 µm
    Display Type LED VGA 060
    Pixel Display Format 640×480
    Display Brightness Discretely Adjustable to 8 Levels
    Turn-on Time, max 3 sec
    Digital Zoom 1x, 2x, and 4x
    Image Palettes White Hot, Black Hot, Fusion, Rainbow, Globow, Ironbow 1, Ironbow 2, Sepia, Color 1, Color 2, Ice-Fire, Rain, and OEM Custom
    Reticle Type 6-Pattern Digitally Controlled: Dot 4 MOA, Line Dot, Cross Center Dot, Cross, Crosshair, and “No Reticle”
    Reticle Color Black, White, Red, Cyan
    Boresight Adjustment Digitally Controlled
    Analog Input and Output Format (resolution) PAL/ NTSC (640×480 pixels)
    Video Recording Optional Digital Video Recorder with SD card slot
    Remote Control Wireless
    SPECIAL USER-ADJUSTABLE IMAGING TOOLS:
    Active Contrast Enhancement (ACE) - “CONTRAST” Yes
    Second Generation Digital Detail Enhancement (DDE) – “SHARPNESS” Yes
    Smart Scene Optimization (SSO) – “SMART SCENE” Yes
    Information Based Histogram Equalization (IBHEQ) – “SKY/SEA” Yes
    User Controlled Manual Non Uniformity Correction/Flat-Field Correction (UCMNUC/FFC) Yes
    Silent Shutterless NUC ™ (SSN) Yes
    OPTICAL DATA:
    Objective Focal Length 25 mm
    Objective F-number 1:1
    Field of View (ang.) 13° / 10°
    Exit Pupil Diameter 10 mm
    Eye Relief 45 mm
    Focus Method Manual
    Focusing Range 3m to inf.
    Diopter Adjustment Manual
    Diopter Adjustment Range ±5 diopter
    BORESIGHT DATA:
    Windage/Elevation Boresight Increment 1,2 MOA
    0.35 mils
    1,3in/100yd
    3,5cm/100m

Windage Adjustment Range (NTSC/ PAL) ±96MOA
    Elevation Adjustment Range (NTSC/ PAL) ±72MOA
    ELECTRICAL DATA:
    Battery Two CR123A 3V Lithium batteries or CR123 type rechargeable batteries with voltage from 3.0V to 3.7V (2)
    Current Consumption, maximum 450 mA
    Battery Life at 20 °C (68 °F) up to 3 hr (optional up to 10 hrs)
    Extended Battery Pack Two 18650 rechargeable batteries (3.7V) or four CR123 type rechargeable batteries with voltage 3.7V max or four standard CR123A 3V Lithium batteries (operational time up to 7 hr)
    External Power Supply 6 VDC/ 600mА
    ENVIRONMENTAL DATA:
    Operating Temperature -40 to +50°C (-40 to +122°F)
    Storage Temperature -50 to +70°C (-58 to +158°F)
    Recoil Resistance 700 g
    Environmental Rating Water and Fog Resistant
    MECHANICAL DATA:
    Weapon Mount Type Picatinny, MIL STD 1913, and Weaver Rails
    Height of the Scope Axis 42 mm (1.65 in)
    Overall Dimensions 194×68×78 mm (7.6”×2.7”×3.1“)
    Weight (w/o Batteries) 0.63 kg (1.4 lbs)
    WARRANTY DATA:
    Warranty 3 years
    Warranty on FLIR detector 10 years

Attachments

• PICT0837.JPG
      PICT0837.JPG
      80.9 KB · Views: 260

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well personally for me in my style of hunting the Predator is more than adequate. Can I ID and Target 40-200yds? yes Can I scan and see things moving and possibly ID further than 200 yds? yes Do I like the light and compact size? yes

Now saying that would a 640 unit be better? yes Would a larger lens be better? yes Would I get better video with a more expensive unit? yes Do I personally need to upgrade to the next level to be able to hunt and even make videos? NO I do not require the best videos and don't do this as a business, my typical range is 40-125yds 90% of the time. For a personal hunting experience and a budget minded person the Predator ($2995)is certainly adequate for my goals.

I look at gear as a common hunter on a budget with a lease I enjoy. I am betting I represent 50% or more of the guys out there buying gear. The only difference is the amount of money one has to spend for a hobby.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Third Coast Thermal and BRD asked a friend of mine to take a look at one of the new Armasight Predator thermal scopes. It is an entry level thermal scope, but it comes in at an entry level price. Of course, what is entry level today was higher end 3-4 years ago and folks killed a lot of hogs with thermal scopes back then as well.

No first kill yet, but I do have some decent footage showing a few different animals at various distances in various environmental conditions.

My initials thoughts are that I like the scope. It works just like a regular Zeus as far as the controls go, but has a fixed focus lens. I mounted it on my 'vintage' Rem 788 .308 rifle and have it sighted in at 100 yards. I just need a viable target!

Check out the video. If you have any questions about the scope's use, let me know.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Frank, Thanks for putting this up for everyone. I am very interested in night vision but not knowledgable. Honestly I have found it slightly confusing due to the manufacturers claims vs actual reliability vs ability to risk a purchase only to find out it doesn't work.
    Thats why this thread is most important. I look forward to learning as you have time to post.
    Thanks

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea the $3k price for usable Thermal is pretty damn impressive sounding!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jerry we are close as I am on your side of Hurlbert just off 98..live is better.

Stan yes it is and these temps are the worst you will see, will be much better in the cooler than summer temps. Remember the image is much better live than shown on the videos. Also I do not know where his sharpness and smart scene were set, you can really fine tune them to your eyesight and preferences.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I'm gathering info for a thermal clip on purchase at the moment, and going to be targeting beavers. Any thoughts on wether or not a beaver in the water would have enough heat sig for it to be worthwhile? It must be pretty dam sensitive to see a heat sig from the trail in the water on those ducks(!)
    The Armasight stuff looks fantastic, but must run a clip on setup to use with what I have.
    I'll mostly be running it on an AR with a 1.5-5 Leupold, but also want to run it on a SASS .308 with a 6-24-50 Vortex Viper PST- Any thoughts on wether or not they work well on higher powered scopes? I've heard and read good and bad about this, and have no point of reference. Would probably be out to 300 yds max, but mostly inside of 150 yds
    Looking mostly at an Armasight Apollo Pro 640-30 MR, but some other Armasight models as well
    Also, does the mirage off a suppressor visually affect the unit at all? Running it as a clip on, I know its probably more of a potential issue since its closer to the can. I can certainly wrap it if needed
    Thanks for your help
    Jim

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jim yes a clip on has its own difficulties and really depends on your scope too. I am not the guy to talk to but Armasight direct or my guy Cliff at thirdcoastthermal will get your questions answered. I know what I hear and see on some videos but have not used one myself yet so would hate to tell you wrong. Lots of the Armasight clipons are being used and folks love them but which one for your use I don't know, I just dedicated one of my 6.8 carbines to the dedicated thermal scope. Good Luck, I have no doubt the beaver would be easily seen and targeted and all my friends it seem run w suppressors and have no problem at all.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've used and own a clip-on. Mainly I use it as hand held now, as I have my FLIR mounted on my night gun. The lower the magnification of the day optic used and the higher the quality of the day optic used behind the clip-on, the better the view. An ACOG at 4x is fine is sharper than a Nikon Buckmaster at 4x for example. I prefer to use it behind a 1-4x day scope, as at 1 or 1.25x you get the full field of thermal view. Above 4x on the day optic, the worse the view (as you are only seeing a small portion of the thermal's screen) and pixilation.

I've not looked at a swimming beaver through thermal, but have seen videos of same. The beaver's head, being mostly out of water is easily seen; the body being under water is not seen.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info, primary platform would be a 1.5-5 leupold, but would also like to use it on a .308 with a 6-24 x50 vortex. Do you think I would be better off with a med-high end night vision clip on? I would much prefer thermal, but if it wont work properly with at least a 6X, I was thinking an Armasight CO-MR clip on in at least gen2+
    I appreciate being able to bounce ideas off you guys due to the fact I have no point of reference to draw on in this area. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming (sigh)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I am thinking the Leupold will be good to go but the Vortex may have too much magnification for thermal application.

I agree with that because at 6x you'd only be looking at a small portion of the thermal screen magnified. I've never looked through a clip on night vision unit, but have read that some of the high end ones work pretty well as a clip on. In general, for hunting, I'd go thermal over night vision if it can be afforded...you will see a LOT more animals.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was afraid of that....
    Dam I hate when a prior, seemingly well thought-out purchase hits the reality of a current one (hehe)
    I have the loopy on a LaRue RTZ mount, I guess I can come up with 2 sets of settings to run it on each weapon for the time being
    Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom