DK Firearms

Benelli M4 - worth the price for admission?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took my wife to Houston. While there met up with an old Marine buddy who has been in the contracting game for quite a few years. He showed me his M4. Didn't have any time to shoot it, but the fit and finish was great and it looked like a mean beast. I'm still using my dads old cut down (legal) Western Auto 16 gauge from the early 60s. Getting harder to find ammo, but It's had many rounds down the tube and never had a bobble. Something extra sweet about 12 gauge....maybe it's just the Tim Tool Time urrr factor. Any of you competition/practical shooters run one of these animals? How's that recoil compared to a 12 gauge pump?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Can't speak directly to the "newer" M4's however I do own a Benelli M1 Super 90. I have owned this fun for some 17 years or so. I originally got it for close range hunting of coyotes over a fresh deer or moose kill in Maine. My Rem 11-87 froze up several times and I wanted something that was inertia operated vs gas. I do not know if the M4's have the exact same operating parts as my gun,however I suspect they do.

Anyway ...... my gun will shoot ANY load. My gun is the absolute softest recoiling 12ga that I have ever shot. Compared to ANY pump gun ..... no comparison. This includes any bbl reciprocating semi-auto also. My gun is also the absolute fastest to cycle gun that I have ever shot. No matter how you hold it and slap the trigger,the action is faster that your finger. It will not jam due to speed of the trigger pull.

The gun is super easy to break down for cleaning and it is easy to keep clean. NO gas crap(carbon) build up in the action. Super clean running gun.

I bought it new and it came with a 5 shot tube. I immediately bought two 7 shot tubes for the gun. This,in 3" shells. I also spent about $150 on some spare parts but have never used them.

You pay for a Benelli. I consider the expense worth it. You are getting the best.

Hope this helps somewhat. --- SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an SBE II in 12 gauge and my wife was shooting a Browning Sweet 16 - ammo was expensive, high brass with no recoil was punishing when dove shooting - lots of shots for a few birds..:becky: Bought her the M4 in 20 gauge and she loves it that old Browning sits in the safe these days. Both our Benellis are great shotguns. Easy on the shoulder and for me quick to point and just feels right.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys. Obviously the Benelli scatter guns left a very good impression with both of you (and one happy wife). I'm going to have to do some reading on that line of shotguns. I was looking at getting a police trade-in riot gun, but didn't know if my damaged shoulder could take the recoil anymore. Moose!? Saw some of them in Alaska once...big freakin animal.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If a 9lb long arm holding 8 rounds sounds like your cup of tea, you might like it. A 308 has similar muzzle energy, more range and can hold up to 26 rounds.
    Recoil on the M4 is significantly softer than a pump, and it's easier to use, but again, has many of the same shotgun drawbacks, which if you're ok with, you'll be alright. FWIW, it's the baddest shotgun in all the land.

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would generally say no for the cost. They run about $1800 right now and as configured from the factory your going to have to put some more money into it once you get it. The import laws neuter the gun with the magazine tube and collapsible stock. These parts cost at least $160 and $250. You then run into 922R issues if you do modify as well. That said, the shotgun is the best gas operated semi-auto shotgun I've ever owned. Its a real soft soft fast shooter. If I had to do it again though, I may not due to the high cost of admission compared to other shotguns.

Rook850

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I have to say, I love mine M4. I'm not really a shotgun person but this one is fun. I was short stroking a pump so I switched to the auto. The M4 is very easy and fast for slug changes; its as fast as pulling back on the bolt and dropping in the slug. If you already shot and need two slugs, slide one more in the magazine or if you know how, you can float one on the carrier (ghost load a 9th round) while leaving 7 loaded in the magazine. The gun does not release a round from the magazine till you pull the trigger, so you can clear the chamber and be cruiser safe in one stroke. Marines use standard OO buck as a breaching load (can carry birdshot if you wanted a "safer" breach round) with the standard barrel. Its not a light gun but the recoil is easy. With the short reset and recoil you can pump out full power loads fast. The M4 is different from the M1 & M2 in that it is gas operated with dual pistons. The M1 & M2 are recoil operated. The government is going "modular" in all weapon systems which means they want to be able to hang a lot of crap on it depending on mission requirements. Supposedly recoil operated weapons have trouble with extra weights attached to it (lights on the barrel etc) and have more malfunctions when loaded down with extras. So it just depends on what you like. Old school with S&W 19 & Winchester 1300 or Glock 17 & Benelli M4.

I'll see if I can post a couple pics of mine.
    Benelli-4.jpg
    Benelli-2.jpg
    Benelli-1.jpg
    Benelli - 3.jpg

Attachments

• Benelli-4.jpg
      Benelli-4.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 307
    • Benelli-2.jpg
      Benelli-2.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 309
    • Benelli-1.jpg
      Benelli-1.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 311
    • Benelli - 3.jpg
      Benelli - 3.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 299

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before you buy a Benelli, go find yourself a 391 Beretta then shoot the two side by side.
    Ed

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is an aweful lot of cash! Especially as compared to the old Remington's and Mossies. I guess that's what it takes to have the edge. Thanks gentlemen!

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was raised on Remington's, and Brownings... Still got them proud to say..... However between the wife and I Both we own 4 benelli autos and that is what get grabbed when we need a shotgun... Older winchesters Remingtons, and Browning, is comparing Ford to Chevy

Benelli compared to Beretta I would say is like a BMW to a Bentley "Benelli being the Bentley" I also have two beretta a sitting in the box...

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes. It is worth every penny. Used them many of times here in the service. Love them. Very reliable and eats anything you feed it. I would definitely trust my life with it.

Doc

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Based on some comments, I checked out the Beretta line. They sell one that looks like it operates similar to the Benelli line (and even looks similar in appearance & control positions). About the same price range as the Benelli M2. And I like the automobile comparison --- Chevy, ford, BMW and Bentley!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two decades ago I bought a HK/Beni M3. It can function as a semi-auto or a pump. I have not had a single problem with it. Pistol grip, ext mag tube and rifled sights std. Just added a sling. I got rid of my other two scatter guns. Though the M4 is different, the quality is there.

If your no hard and fast on the M4, there a good used deals on M1 $800, M2 $600 and M3 $1000. Check http://gunwatchercom/

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I went with an M2 as my 'first' shotgun. I liked the lighter-weight feel of the M-2 - it gave it a much faster 'feel' for handling. The M-4 felt MUCH heavier and so it didn't seem to handle as well.
    I understand the M-4 will have much less perceived recoil and I never had the opportunity to do a side-by-side live-fire comparison.

I do have a VersaMax Sportsman that I picked up for skeet shooting. I understand the M-4 and the VersaMax have a lot in common. This VersaMax has a much longer barrel so the comparison wouldn't be ideal. Still, with the overall lighter weight, I'm okay with the M-2 for doing 'tactical' style shooting. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get schooled a little.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great! Full load: Fill feed tube, drop one in the chamber, push lifter/elevator down and lay a shell on it. Keep light finger pressure on that shell as you close the action over it so bolt face doesn't try to feed it. Fire and cycle normally. Enjoy!

Kevin08

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They're well made and quite user friendly. Also, they're pretty much an immediate guarantee to dominate a shotgun side match if you have an Eotech riding on top. Full mag tube and collapsible stock are a must.

It also costs as much as some cars.

Last edited:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ "dominate" in a world of pump shotguns.....I hear ya!

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom