• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the BNA USPSA match in Hattiesburg on Saturday. I finished 2nd overall behind a Limited GM and 1st in Open, over two Masters.

I got a little sloppy a few times, especially on steel, but other times I was locked in.

I almost won stage 1 overall. I was .27 seconds faster than the winner, but I pulled a D where he shot a C. I still managed 99.74% of a Limited GM on that stage, so I'm proud of myself.

I had a few “aha” moments on calling my shots, which is encouraging since that’s still a work in progress for me. I distinctly remember the last shot on the last target from the first position on Stage 4. I fired off the last shot as I was pulling away, and I saw that it was right at the edge of the target. By the time my brain processed it, I was already a couple steps away so it wasn’t worth going back for a make-up. Luckily that round was on paper, albeit an inch from the edge. That was my only D for the stage, but I'm ok with it because I saw it while shooting.

I’m not sure what happened on the second string of the classifier. My first string felt great, but the second string just felt off. It turns out that it was about a half a second slower than the first string, with worse hits as well. I don’t remember a bad grip or anything, so I’m not sure what happened.

I’ve been working on a lot of turn and draws in dry fire, and I felt like it paid off on stage 6 and in the first string of the classifier.

Scores here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/30890?q_result=0

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I had a very frustrating match on Saturday. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t get my head straight. I had some trouble executing my stage plans, but my biggest issue was the lack of visual patience and just letting the gun get away from me. I had 8 Mikes during the match, which is extremely unusual for me, and a lot of them were on close, open targets.

Stage 1 – Weird start position. Facing up range with gun unloaded and holstered and my stage plan required up range movement at the buzzer, which means that I had to wait to get into position, then turn downrange to draw the gun. I had a Mike (barrel hit) on the really tight shot on the left side array, then I pulled another Mike on the second shot after the reload. Watching the POV video, you can clearly see me pull the second shot low on the bottom target. I’ve been working on shooting on the move, and I did that pretty well on this stage. Getting around the front of the stage was trickier than it looks. I saw someone get hung up on 2 different walls trying to move from left to right.

Stage 2 – Simple stage, I just didn’t execute my stage plan. I seemed to have trouble remembering that the paper targets required 2 shots instead of 1. I didn’t shoot the array from the middle box like I had planned, so that cost some time. I pulled the second shot on the second target from the last position low and left. Just a whiff on an open target caused by not seeing the dot.

Stage 3 – Stage win and no big errors.

Stage 4 – Not a bad stage. I had a good makeup on the first target after I pulled one low into hard cover. I shot well on the move, but then forgot a target momentarily before the reload.

Stage 5 – I designed this stage, started on it, and was the first shooter. I blame cold hands for the fumbled load at the start. One of my Mikes was in hard cover on the tuxedo target on the right. I think the other Mike was in hard cover as well. No reason for missing the mini popper on the left, except for rushing.

Classifier CM 99-23 “Front Sight” – I shot this same classifier the previous weekend, so I knew where I was lacking. Like last weekend, my first string was good (and .20s faster this time). I was too deliberate on my second string before, so I made the mistake of trying to push this time, and pulled 3 Mikes. No excuse. I know better. I didn’t see the dot on target for 3 of the first 4 shots, but I pulled the trigger anyway.

I’m not shooting a match this coming weekend, so I plan to work on my visualization and do a lot of match mode practice over the next 2 weeks.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I stopped by the range yesterday afternoon on the way home to test a new bullet and compare it to my current load. I was having some of those "I should just simplify things and go back to shooting a Glock in Production" thoughts during the slow work day yesterday, but that was cured when I picked up the gun at the range. Damn, that thing just feels so good in my hands and shoots so well.

There wasn't as much difference between the two loads as I thought. The 115's are definitely harsher/more violent than the 124's, but the dot seems to settle a split second sooner with the 115's. They are both plenty accurate, but the 115's also seemed to stay in a tighter group when shooting as fast as I could at 7yds. I spoke to the manufacturer last night and they don't have any sponsor slots open, but I'm going to order several thousand to try once I run out of the 124's.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got off work early on Friday, so I was able to get out to the range and do a little live fire practice.

A pretty simple drill to setup and run is Steve Anderson's "Counting Alphas"

tZCpGlx.jpg

It's all about shooting on the move and trying to shoot as many A's as possible. I ran the drill 10 times on Classic targets and my alpha count ranged from 18-23. I caught myself not being patient some times, my weak hand grip being too weak, and lacking trigger control at different times during those drills. It's hard to focus on all of things at the same time, so I'm going to break each of those down in dry fire to commit them to my subconscious.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the MPSA USPSA match on Saturday and came away with the overall win.

3rd Person:

POV:

It may be hard to tell from the videos, but it was a sloppy, muddy mess at the range. Slipping and falling was a constant threat, so some of my movement isn't as aggressive as it otherwise would be.

Stage 1 - I shot this stage over 3 seconds faster than anyone else, even after forgetting a position and having to go back to it. My hits were pretty good as well, so I got the stage win by over 12%.

Stage 2 - The first shot took me by surprise. It wasn't technically an AD, since I was pointing at the target and getting ready to fire the shot, but I was still trying to get the dot on target when I pressed the trigger. I had the gun pointed way too high at the start of the WHO string, so I didn't see the dot until the second target. I haven't practiced WHO in about a month, so I definitely need to work that back into my dryfire regimen.

Stage 3 - First stage of the day. I was too sloppy with my hits, especially those last 3 targets on the ground at the end. I also had trouble reloading to a big stick, which I rarely practice. I need to add that into my dry fire as well.

Stage 4 - I had the second fastest time (behind a guy shooting PCC), but my hits weren't great. A lot of C's from shooting on the move, and a couple of D's on those targets on the ground at the end. I need to make sure I'm more deliberate on those really close arrays, instead of just blasting as I sweep across them.

Stage 5 - Really slippery mud on this bay. I almost fell when my plant foot started to slip when I was trying to shoot the 3rd target (can be seen in the 3rd person video). The longer shots forced me to be more precise, which led to good hits. My left foot kept sliding off of the PVC shooting box, which lead to a difficult lean to hit the steel.

CM 99-11 - My first time shooting El Prez in a match. Not my fastest run, but I made sure I saw the dot in the center of the target for every shot. The reload wasn't blazing, but it was smooth. Should be about a 75%, which is probably a good representation of where I am.

I still need to work on my target transition speed and staying low, but I'm pretty pleased with how the match went, as a whole.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ec474633cce632c487008f5a5e204314.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

New photo of my magwell, as of a few days ago.

7MEESCk.jpg

I've still been cranking out the dry fire. The past few weeks I've been focusing on my technique and not so much the speed. I've bumped up my par times in favor of doing things correctly. I'm going to stick with that plan for the rest of the week, leading up to the AL Sectional this weekend. Once that's over, I'll pick back up on the speed and try to make some gains before Area 6 at the end of April.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    MPSA USPSA Match this past Saturday.

POV Video:

3rd Person Video:

Stage 2 - I only shot 1 time at the last target at the second position. I didn't even realize it until I watched the video (I was confused as to why I had a mike on the target, but there was clearly only 1 hole). The only reason I can come up with is that I was focused on making up a shot on one of the far targets.

Stage 4 - I started off pretty good on the polish plate rack, then I lost some of my focus. I shouldn't have had to put 5 extra shots at it. I hit the no-shoot from the first box, but I made it up.

Classifier - I think I pulled my eyes away from the gun and back onto the target during the reload, but I'm not positive. I recovered quickly, but it seriously hurt my time.

I was able to build two of my stage designs during this match (stages 3 and 4). Stage 3 would have ideally been located in a bigger bay where we could spread it out some. Stage 4 ended up very close to the way I envisioned it, though I made a couple small changes once it was on the ground. I saw each stage shot at least 3 different ways, so that leads me to believe that I did an alright job of design. I'm going to leave the polish plate rack out of my designs for a while, though. It's a blast to shoot, but it slowed the whole match down due to the time it takes to reset.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the 2017 Alabama Sectional match in Dothan on Saturday.

POV Video:

3rd Person Video:

Stage 1 and 2 were pretty disastrous. Stage 1 was poor execution. Stage 2 was a bad stage plan, due to not understanding the activator sequence properly. I thought that the far right popper activated the drop turner, but second one from the right actually activated it. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch many shooters ahead of me, so I picked a (wrong) stage plan and it didn't work out very well. Lesson learned: know exactly what activates moving targets. Man, I wish I could have that one back. Stages 1 and 2 were shot back-to-back (like separate strings in a single stage), staying hot in between. I was very jittery at the beginning of this match and I think that is because I've been working hard to improve and this match was the first opportunity to really see how far I've come since October.

Stage 3 - Pretty simple stage, as long as you didn't forget any targets. I felt like I was moving fast, but the video was slow. Decent result, regardless.

Stage 4 - I went first on this stage and changed my plan before I shot. The good thing was that I walked it a whole bunch the day before and considered all 3 main stage plans, so committing one to memory quickly wasn't an issue.
    Familiarity with the stages was very beneficial to me throughout the day. I shot with some very high level competitors who were more than happy to discuss their plan and thoughts, and that information led to some stage plan changes for me.

Stage 5 - I noticed from the video that my transitions were slow. That's been a work in progress and I'll continue to work on it.

Stage 6 - One of my best stages. I need to stay lower to help me change direction quicker, but this stage went well.

Stage 7 - Almost DQ, and I didn't even realize it until I was told by others after the stage. I remember having to fire a makeup shot on the first target, but I didn't realized that I was already swinging toward the next target when the gun fired. I guess it was a combination of trigger freeze/delayed press and trying to transition too quickly. I tagged a no-shoot with that shot, but wasn't DQ'ed. My initial position on the bridge wasn't as stable as I hoped, so I had to kick my right leg out a little wider. Once I did that, I just let my hips swing with the bridge and was able to hold my upper body pretty stable.

Being told that I was almost DQ'ed shook me up a little, but luckily I was able to clear my head before the next stage. The movement to the left after the first 4 targets had a lot of people either break or come really close to breaking the 180, but the RO was almost always behind them so it didn't get called. I made sure to be hyper-aware of my muzzle direction, especially while doing the reload.

Stage 8 - Another good stage for me, and one where I changed my plan completely during the walk through. Many thanks to one of my squadmates for seeing the inefficiencies in my initial plan and explaining his thoughts. This match had a lot of jerky changes of direction, but my plan on this stage was about as smooth as it could be.

Stage 9 - Another plan change during the walk through, though a minor one. My original plan was to go to the left at the start signal, then step on the stomp box as the second position. The plan worked well, I just had way too many make up shots, a few of which weren't necessary.

Stage 10 - Another change of stage plan, to eliminate coming back up both hallways and to account for the door potentially staying open or half-open. I should have gotten a re-shoot because the activator cable caused my gun to malfunction, but I forgot about it by the time I got to the end of the stage. It probably wouldn't have made much difference in the results, though.

Fun match overall. Not much target difficulty, just lots of movement, changes of direction, and deep positions. I'm pleased with my overall percentage of the Open division winner (82.15%), considering I shot 63% of the Open winner at the Gator Classic in October. My consistency was good for 7 of the 10 stages, but stages 1, 2, and 7 really brought my match score down. Gotta be consistent all the way through the match to score well.

VZBinUq.jpg

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking good man, hate I missed the sectional.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I shot the 2017 Alabama Sectional match in Dothan on Saturday.

POV Video:

3rd Person Video:

Stage 1 and 2 were pretty disastrous. Stage 1 was poor execution. Stage 2 was a bad stage plan, due to not understanding the activator sequence properly. I thought that the far right popper activated the drop turner, but second one from the right actually activated it. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch many shooters ahead of me, so I picked a (wrong) stage plan and it didn't work out very well. Lesson learned: know exactly what activates moving targets. Man, I wish I could have that one back. Stages 1 and 2 were shot back-to-back (like separate strings in a single stage), staying hot in between. I was very jittery at the beginning of this match and I think that is because I've been working hard to improve and this match was the first opportunity to really see how far I've come since October.

Stage 3 - Pretty simple stage, as long as you didn't forget any targets. I felt like I was moving fast, but the video was slow. Decent result, regardless.

Stage 4 - I went first on this stage and changed my plan before I shot. The good thing was that I walked it a whole bunch the day before and considered all 3 main stage plans, so committing one to memory quickly wasn't an issue.
    Familiarity with the stages was very beneficial to me throughout the day. I shot with some very high level competitors who were more than happy to discuss their plan and thoughts, and that information led to some stage plan changes for me.

Stage 5 - I noticed from the video that my transitions were slow. That's been a work in progress and I'll continue to work on it.

Stage 6 - One of my best stages. I need to stay lower to help me change direction quicker, but this stage went well.

Stage 7 - Almost DQ, and I didn't even realize it until I was told by others after the stage. I remember having to fire a makeup shot on the first target, but I didn't realized that I was already swinging toward the next target when the gun fired. I guess it was a combination of trigger freeze/delayed press and trying to transition too quickly. I tagged a no-shoot with that shot, but wasn't DQ'ed. My initial position on the bridge wasn't as stable as I hoped, so I had to kick my right leg out a little wider. Once I did that, I just let my hips swing with the bridge and was able to hold my upper body pretty stable.

Being told that I was almost DQ'ed shook me up a little, but luckily I was able to clear my head before the next stage. The movement to the left after the first 4 targets had a lot of people either break or come really close to breaking the 180, but the RO was almost always behind them so it didn't get called. I made sure to be hyper-aware of my muzzle direction, especially while doing the reload.

Stage 8 - Another good stage for me, and one where I changed my plan completely during the walk through. Many thanks to one of my squadmates for seeing the inefficiencies in my initial plan and explaining his thoughts. This match had a lot of jerky changes of direction, but my plan on this stage was about as smooth as it could be.

Stage 9 - Another plan change during the walk through, though a minor one. My original plan was to go to the left at the start signal, then step on the stomp box as the second position. The plan worked well, I just had way too many make up shots, a few of which weren't necessary.

Stage 10 - Another change of stage plan, to eliminate coming back up both hallways and to account for the door potentially staying open or half-open. I should have gotten a re-shoot because the activator cable caused my gun to malfunction, but I forgot about it by the time I got to the end of the stage. It probably wouldn't have made much difference in the results, though.

Fun match overall. Not much target difficulty, just lots of movement, changes of direction, and deep positions. I'm pleased with my overall percentage of the Open division winner (82.15%), considering I shot 63% of the Open winner at the Gator Classic in October. My consistency was good for 7 of the 10 stages, but stages 1, 2, and 7 really brought my match score down. Gotta be consistent all the way through the match to score well.

VZBinUq.jpg

Good job Jeep and cool plague!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been slacking on the dry fire most of this week. The time change always kicks my ass for a week or two, and add to that the really long day on Saturday, getting home just before midnight, then being woken up really early Sunday morning. I've felt like I've been moving through mud all week.

I finally got enough crap unloaded from my truck to dry fire last night, though. Since I've got 5 weeks until Area 6, I'm going back hard into speed mode. Even though I was pushing hard to lower the par times, I found myself doing things consistently. My guess is that my deliberate practice over the last few weeks has helped with that. You'll notice that my reloads at the AL sectional were pretty solid, even doing 3 reloads to a big stick (which have plagued me in the past). Sometimes you have to reign in the speed in favor of making sure to do things correctly.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm trying to decide whether I would rather shoot a match in Dothan on the weekend of April 8th, or if I'd be better off having a serious practice session in Vinegar Bend.

Right now I'm leaning toward the practice session.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm trying to decide whether I would rather shoot a match in Dothan on the weekend of April 8th, or if I'd be better off having a serious practice session in Vinegar Bend.

Right now I'm leaning toward the practice session.

If you gotta ask, then you already know the answer!

Just had the same debate myself, shoot the TX Open in April or practice up for Double Tap in June... I'm going to practice.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you gotta ask, then you already know the answer!

Just had the same debate myself, shoot the TX Open in April or practice up for Double Tap in June... I'm going to practice.

That sounds like a good plan. I can spend a few hours and several hundred rounds to get prepped for Area 6 on the 22nd.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But it's so nice outside, a nice lawn chair and some cold beer in the backyard sounds a lot better man..You can do that other stuff on a rainy day...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wasn't planning on doing much gun stuff this weekend, but I ended up loading 2K rounds of new match ammo, case gauged it all, and went to the range. I just wanted to chrono the ammo and sight my gun in, but I was there alone for a while so I did a few drills.

I started by working on my shot calling at 20yds. Draw, put 2 shots on paper, immediate turn away and mark where I called my shots on a target right beside me. I found that I was pretty good at knowing where my 2 shots were in relation to each other, but I tended to call them a little higher than they actually were. I also noticed that a lot of my first shots were near the bottom left corner of the A zone, so that tells me that I need to work on my trigger control and weak hand grip.

After that, I worked on my transition speed. I used 2 targets at close to 90 degrees to me at about 8-9 yards. My transition started at .35-.40 seconds, but I was able to get it consistently down to .24-.28, with one run at .20 seconds. I planned on staying a little longer, but 3 cars pulled up as I was walking back to load mags, so I just called it a day.

Top Bottom