• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coolpapabell15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Open is another story... But Limited doesn't have to be any more expensive than production gun/gear wise. All a 2011 gets you is cool points, a sweet trigger, and a small heart attack when trying to find your dropped mag after a stage :shocked: Handloading may be slightly more expensive, but only because of the heavier projectile and the slight increase in powder.

Grab a Glock 35, slap some extensions on your mags, and run it! Don't worry about where you're going to reload every 10 rounds, shoot charlies as fast as you can, and even if you pick up a couple deltas, they're still worth 2! :hail:All hail major PF!:hail:

It's a lot easier on the mind, and is almost guaranteed to make your match more fun. It is still a game! :thumb:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Open is another story... But Limited doesn't have to be any more expensive than production gun/gear wise. All a 2011 gets you is cool points, a sweet trigger, and a small heart attack when trying to find your dropped mag after a stage :shocked: Handloading may be slightly more expensive, but only because of the heavier projectile and the slight increase in powder.

Grab a Glock 35, slap some extensions on your mags, and run it! Don't worry about where you're going to reload every 10 rounds, shoot charlies as fast as you can, and even if you pick up a couple deltas, they're still worth 2! :hail:All hail major PF!:hail:

It's a lot easier on the mind, and is almost guaranteed to make your match more fun. It is still a game! :thumb:

After owning a few 2011's, I don't think I could ever go with a Glock 35, except maybe just for fun if I had the trigger/magwell/basepads/etc laying around.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I imagine I'll stick with CZ's as long as I'm in production. I might consider trying out a CZ TS if I go to Limited, but it would be hard to beat a 2011.

The TS Orange looks so sweet.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I did more dry fire last night. Very similar to Tuesday night, in that I worked on transitions, a few draws, and lots of reloads. I was working on speed, so the reloads were either perfect or a disaster.

I think I need to go back to Ben Stoeger's 2 part reloads like I did on Tuesday. Doing the 2 part reloads, the first par time is to drop the mag in the gun, grab a fresh mag and get it to gun (lined up to go in the magwell). The second par time consists of seating the mag and getting back on target. Breaking up the process into smaller parts is supposed to help you get the mechanics down consistently. It may have just been a bad day yesterday, but I feel like the 2 part reload went much smoother.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I really like using the micro drills in practice, it has helped me with the "fine tuning" of reloads and building muscle memory .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the Emerald Coast Practical Shooters match at CORE Shooting Center this past Saturday. I must say this is the first time I’ve been to this facility in over a year and they have made some incredible improvements. It was already a world class range and now it’s even better. It’s a 2 hour drive from my house, but I’ll be making an effort to get out there as much as possible in the future.

Not a good match for me, I’m actually pretty shocked at how well I placed. A few guys in my squad even agreed that it was the worst I’ve shot in quite a while. The steel ate my lunch and I had a bunch of Mikes that I called as good hits.

Stage 1: I have no idea what was going on at the first position. After the first couple misses, I really focused on my sights and trigger control, but still couldn’t hit those pieces of steel. I’m thinking I might should have shot the paper first at both of the first two positions, so I could start shooting on the way in, instead of having to settle down to make the tough shots on steel. I slowed down very early coming into the last position, because it was easy to get going too fast down the hill. Overall, I should have done a lot better on going 1 for 1 on all the steel.

Stage 2: Doing 2 standing reloads on this stage was honestly the best stage plan. Otherwise, you would have to do a whole lot more moving and shooting through different lanes. I screwed up after the first reload and didn’t go back to the target I was on, resulting in 1 of the Mikes. I looked really slow setting up for the second position, but I had to position my feet just right in order to make the hard lean for the last target. I pulled one shot low into the hard cover on the 4th target from the right, resulting in the other Mike.

Stage 3: The first 2 positions went well, had one makeup on the small popper on the right and a good makeup on the swinger. I hit the middle popper on the right array on the first attempt, but I must have hit it low, because it didn’t fall. The drop turner wasn’t setup in the nooks, so there was no point in shooting at it (no penalties for misses and no points for hits). I knew better than to rush those shots on steel at the end. I didn’t think it was worth a reload to shoot the last steel. I got a Mike on this stage, I just forgot to include it in the text on the video.

Stage 4: Solid stage, I pulled one shot low into the hardcover on the head shots. Overall, I had too many Bravos and needed more Alphas to score well. I wasn’t planning to reload until after I shot the steel on the right in the front array, which is why I started yelling in my video. It ended up working out, though.

Stage 5: Deceptively evil classifier. My gun had a dead trigger at the “Make Ready” command when it was my turn to shoot, so I had to go back and fix the trigger bar spring before I could shoot the stage. Of course, this was weighing on my mind when I got up to the line, but there’s no excuse. I should have just pushed it out of my thoughts and focused on the stage. I had to shoot a double action first shot, weak hand only, which I’ve never practiced. Every time I’ve had to shoot WHO in a match, it’s always been single action. My strategy was to shoot at the open target, in case the round went awry. I ended up pulling 2 mikes on the WHO string, one down into the hardcover on the headshot only target, and the other a complete whiff on the far target. It’s clear that I need to do some work on single handed shooting. I’m very embarrassed at the way I shot this stage.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the BPSA CQB Rifle match this past Sunday. I'll let the videos do the talking. I'm pretty pleased with how I shot, overall. My footwork could use a little work and my stage planning still isn't as good as I'd like it. I re-engaged a target twice on two different stages. The first one was just a mental mistake. The second one was because my stage plan went all to hell when my rifle started bump firing on the last stage. At that point, I was so concerned about keeping the rifle from running away that my stage plan went out the window.

GoPro video:

3rd person video:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a great dry fire session yesterday afternoon.

I've had Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition" book for months now, but I hadn't taken the time to start using his drills until last night. I did the first 6 dry fire drills in his book, which consists of drawing to an acceptable sight picture. First at 5 yards freestyle, then at 10 yards, freestyle, surrender position, turn and draw from surrender, strong hand only and weak hand only.

My biggest achievement came when trying different ways draw the gun, then transfer it to my weak hand. I discovered that if I grip the gun lower (toward the bottom of the grip), it allows my weak hand thumb to go under the beavertail and my weak hand middle finger to go directly under the trigger guard. I bet it saves me .2-.3 seconds because it's much smoother than if I have a full grip with my strong hand.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went to the range yesterday to do some live fire training. I didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted, especially considering the length of time I was there. A few guys kept wanting to talk and then there were people coming and going. I did a little accuracy work and quite a bit of speed work, as well as some transition and movement drills. I'm going to try to get back out there one afternoon this week, when hopefully no one else will be there.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a really productive afternoon yesterday, even if I wasn't able to get everything accomplished that I would have liked.

I got in a quick 2 mile run when I got home, the did about 30 minutes of dry fire focusing only on reloads. I watched some videos of an A class production shooter yesterday and I noticed that his reloads were significantly faster than mine. I started off a little rough and smashed my fingers a couple times, but I was pretty consistent by the end.

I've got to give my hands a break today. After 3 hours at the range on Sunday and 30 minutes of dry fire last night, the pad of my weak hand was raw last night. Those VZ grips are great, but they are brutal to parts of your hand with no calluses.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I keep going back and forth with whether or not I want to shoot 3 gun. I like the idea of it and I really think it would be a blast, but when given the choice between 3 gun and USPSA, I always choose USPSA. Part of the reason is because I have done basically no practice on loading a shotgun, nor have I started back reloading 223. Given that, I'm thinking about selling my tricked out 3-gun shotgun that I've never fired...

After the Texas Open, I'm really wanting an open gun again.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I believe you've already talked yourself into it. I may shoot the 3 gun at CORE later on this year and just "wing" the shotgun portion. Not enough interest on my part to practice another firearm for competition stuff.
    On the other hand, it is amazing what dry fire practice does for reloads, transitions, and sight picture speeds.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe you've already talked yourself into it. I may shoot the 3 gun at CORE later on this year and just "wing" the shotgun portion. Not enough interest on my part to practice another firearm for competition stuff.
    On the other hand, it is amazing what dry fire practice does for reloads, transitions, and sight picture speeds.

Yeah, I just know how good I would want to be at 3 gun and keep thinking of how much I'd need to do and practice to get to that level... I think I'll stick with USPSA for a while and maybe look at 3 gun again next year.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Video from the Texas Open:

Not a very good match for me, but I think I know why. I spent 3 weeks leading up to this match skipping other matches and doing live fire practice almost exclusively in speed mode. I assumed (incorrectly) that my match mode would automatically appear once the match began. Boy was I wrong. My speed was a little better, but my accuracy fell through the floor. I believe part of this was poor trigger control, since I had been just yanking the trigger as fast as possible for a month. The other part was just not seeing my sights to the degree I needed and not giving all of those partial and long distance targets the respect they deserved.

Sunday was better (especially stages 6 and 8), but I had dug myself into too deep of a hole on Saturday to recover.

A couple good notes: I felt like my speed and transitions are getting faster. I only had a few, almost negligible brain farts during a couple of the stages (no skipped targets or big errors).

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good analysis. I hope you will remember us when you become a international competitive shooing star, because you are clearing heading in that direction.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I just know how good I would want to be at 3 gun and keep thinking of how much I'd need to do and practice to get to that level... I think I'll stick with USPSA for a while and maybe look at 3 gun again next year.

Same reason I'm in USPSA now. Between the time requirements for drills with 2 more guns, cost of additional ammo, and all the freaking gadgets and gizmos one just has to have for 3 gun... I was going broke and ticking off the wife!

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few of us are shooting core 3 gun this month. Load up the cart and come on out. It will be a blast

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom