• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey, with all this training when is you going pro and be on 3 gun nation. Keep up the good work.

I've given up on 3-gun for a while and I definitely won't be going pro anytime soon. I'm nowhere close to being good enough for that.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I should be doing dry fire with my production rig since that's what I'll be shooting for a while, but I couldn't resist getting the open gun out and playing with it last night. After a few minutes of dry fire, I remembered that I needed to shave down the right side safety where it digs into the knuckle of my strong hand. Once that was done, I did some draws and reloads. Last week the dot appeared on the draw about 75% of the time. Yesterday it appeared about 90% of the time, so that's an improvement, just not quite where it needs to be. I feel like my reloads were like lightning with that big magwell. I ordered a new extractor yesterday and I can't wait to get it fixed so I can shoot it again.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doesn't have to do with any sort of training but I was browsing YouTube last night and your trigger job video popped into the suggested feed and I saw it has 42k views. That's a lot of views.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Doesn't have to do with any sort of training but I was browsing YouTube last night and your trigger job video popped into the suggested feed and I saw it has 42k views. That's a lot of views.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's done pretty well. The ad revenue from that video alone is currently at almost $100. Pocket change compared to a lot of the bigger channels, but still nice.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I did some more dry fire with the open gun last night. The dot is appearing on target at the draw about 95% of the time now. I almost switched over to my production rig to dry fire, but then I thought that if everything goes right and I'm able to get the open gun back up and running and some ammo loaded for it over the next couple days, then I'll shoot it at the BPSA match on Sunday.

It may be a couple late nights and a busy day on Saturday, but my hopes are high.

Switching to a new gun has reinvigorated my dry fire. What's funny is that I've been practicing reloads a lot because the magazines are in different spots on my belt (and because they feel so fast with the magwell), but I shouldn't have to reload at all during the match because the stages are all medium courses.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Short breakdown from the 7/16 ECPS match at CORE.

Stage 1: Instead of trying to shoot my way into the first position, I should have gotten there first, then shot all 6 target. My first reload was fast, second was slow, but finished about the time I got into position, the third reload was horrible. I completely missed the gun at first.

Stage 2: My risky stage plan to save a reload didn't pay off. I left a piece of steel standing and only shot one of the paper targets once (no idea why I did that). I should have had 2 mikes on the stage. Lesson: Get on your front sight and go 1-for-1 on steel if you have a stage plan that requires it.

Stage 3: I feel like the stage plan was really good, I just had too many make-ups to score very well.

Stage 4: First stage of the day, I was really nervous stepping up to the line. I should have taken a few seconds to take a deep breath before beginning. I had a hard time finding my front sight and felt like I was moving in slow motion.

Stage 5: Solid classifier, should be an "A"

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Brothers N Arms match, 7/23.

This was my first time shooting in Open Division. I hadn't practiced with the gun, but I couldn't stand it. I just had to get it out to a match.

I was pretty happy with my match overall, considering the lack of practice. I had some trouble finding the dot at times and I still don't have enough experience with the gun to know how the dot tracks.

Stage 1: I winged a NS, because I was moving while touching off the 3rd round on the 5th target. I almost did the same thing on the 4th target as well. I hadn't payed any attention to the fact that there were No Shoot's on either side of the port. Lesson learned.

Stage 2: I changed my stage plan slightly from the time I walked the stage before the match to our squad's stage walkthrough. It was a minor change, but I guess I didn't visualize enough because I had a significant brain fart and basically froze in place for a second or more. Then the plates. I have no idea what happened, but it seemed like I was missing them high and right most of the time. This was our second to last stage and I haven't had a chance to get out to the range to check the gun's zero.

Stage 3: Solid stage, I could have been a little quicker on the 2 targets in the middle.

Stage 4: First stage of the day, solid stage plan and excecution, just could have gone quicker and sacrificed a few points. I need to work on shooting while moving if I'm going to keep shooting Open.

Stage5: I felt like it was a solid classifier, but it will probably be a "B." I got good hits, but I should have been quicker.

Overall: After looking at the other scores, I need to get quicker. I had more A's than anyone, but my times held me back. If I can shave a few seconds off each stage, I can swap a few A's for C's and still have a better HF. Just need to practice and get used to the gun.

I really enjoyed the BNA match. I'll be going back there soon, even though it's a 2hr drive.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that I've run through the last couple matches, let's talk about the future. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting Open at the last match and I plan to transition to shooting mainly that Division over the next 2-3 months.

I’m signed up to shoot the GA State USPSA match next month, the LA Gator match in October and the Swamp Challenge (FL) in December. I’ll definitely be shooting Production at GA and most likely the LA Gator, as well.

My current plan is to keep shooting and practicing in Production at least until after the GA state match. In the next month or so, I’m going to start looking for an Open gun in 9 major. I’m going to shoot the 9 major in local matches and use it as a backup to the 38SC for major matches. After scrounging around in the blazing heat after the match on Saturday, I came away with less than half of the brass I shot. Life is too short and I don’t have the patience for that. My goal is to get classified and shoot Open in the Swamp Challenge.

That’s my plan. (Subject to change because I’m a fickle bastard.)

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a GREAT dry fire session this afternoon. I worked on draws, reloads, and transitions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had another great dry fire session this evening. I've been pushing speed the last two days and it feels good. My hands were hurting and sweat was dripping off of my nose by the time I finished. I setup my flip cam tonight to see if I can learn anything from the video. If there is anything worth sharing, I'll upload it to youtube and post it here.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I spoke to the Pope this morning in regards to nominating your wife for sainthood. He seemed very open to the idea after I explained your training and competition schedule.

No kidding. I've shot a match the last 5 weekends, 1 in Texas and 3 that were over 2 hours away... I've got her helping to keep me motivated to dry fire in the afternoons. Taking this weekend off to spend with her, but I'm still going to try to get to the range for some live fire practice for a few hours.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    A few of my reloading drills from tonight:

Excellent. I like your follow thru after seating the mag and transitioning your support hand back onto the gun. Gives me some motivation to keep progressing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    8b0c5ac90d986305cebd988197cba6bc.jpg

Live fire practice today. Getting ready for Georgia.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Members online

Top Bottom