• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Hey Jeep how did the view from your other GoPro turn out you had sitting at the middle target facing towards the shooter?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey Jeep how did the view from your other GoPro turn out you had sitting at the middle target facing towards the shooter?

It wasn't too great, due to the fisheye lens. Stage 1 and most of Stage 2 showed up ok, but you couldn't really see anything from Stage 3. I think next time I'm just going to setup my one of my flip cameras on a tripod.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Starting Monday, I decided to add exercise to my training. I've been alternating exercise and dry fire days, which seems to be working well so far. Monday I ran 3.2 miles, Tuesday I dry fired for about 40 minutes, Wednesday I ran 2.2 miles, then yesterday I dry-fired for about 10 minutes before life called. That was all the dry fire I was able to do, but I was able to case gauge 700 rounds of ammo in preparation for live fire practice this weekend. Tonight I'm going to run, then pack up for the range tomorrow morning. I'll be happy when the time changes so I can swing by the range and get in a short live fire session on my way home from work.

For my dry fire, I've been focusing on my scaled "steel" targets like plates and poppers. I got my wife to bring home a few sheets of construction paper so I can cut out more "steel" targets in preparation for the Jabs match coming up in April.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you work up a appetite for a beer, let me know. Was planning on hitting the range but I think I'm going to go disc golf instead

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you work up a appetite for a beer, let me know. Was planning on hitting the range but I think I'm going to go disc golf instead

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Will do. Range trip may be Sunday, still trying to figure out what all is going on this weekend. Maybe this time we'll hit up Old 27 so I can grab some food as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Time to update this thread.

I've had quite a few productive dry fire sessions lately, and one disheartening live fire session last week. This past weekend I was bedridden after a minor medical procedure, but I made the most of it and practiced some trigger control, shooting with both eyes open, and gripping the absolute hell out of the gun with my weak hand.

20160319_104127_zpskjs1nxpl.jpg

I've known this for a while, but I proved to myself how effective it is for a weak hand death grip to minimize sight movement during even a poor trigger pull. Along these same lines, I found that a touch of pro grip on the outside of my strong hand fingers (and on the inside of my weak hand fingers) REALLY enables me to lock in a tight weak hand grip without it slipping. Previously, I was having some trouble almost squeezing the gun out of my weak hand, if that makes any sense.

I was able to keep both eyes open during my dry fire session yesterday without thinking about it, but I noticed that I need to squint or even close my left (non-dominant) eye when I try to get a hard front sight focus for small targets. Is that normal for any of you other guys that shoot with both eyes open? I'm planning on doing some extensive live fire practice this weekend, and hopefully my dry fire practice will carry over.

That's about it, other than the fact that I'm spoiling myself right now practicing with a magwell, since the Jabs match allows it. It's going to be a rude awakening when I go back to the production setup.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to shoot with both eyes open, but that was when my eyes had a lot less miles on them... To fool your non-dominant eye, put a very small piece of scotch tape on the inside of your shooting glasses. To find the best location, put a small piece of blue painters tape on the outside and take a sight picture. Keep moving the little piece of tape around until it just blocks the front sight from your non-dominant eye. Then, put the little piece of scotch tape on the inside of that lens and remove the blue tape off the outside. Now, when you have both eyes open, your focus will be blurry just where your front sight is through your non-dominant eye. However, your peripheral vision as well as your long-range vision will be just fine.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After dry firing with both eyes open last week, I failed to consciously think about it when I went to the range this past weekend. I attempted to try it in live fire yesterday afternoon, but I found it very difficult to break my habit and nearly impossible when I wanted a hard front sight focus. I'm going to leave it alone for now and shoot the Jabs match this weekend my normal way, then I'll try both eyes open again starting next week.

As far as my live fire practices, I've been focusing on shooting paper plates from varying distances and calling my shot before going on to the next one. Saturday I forgot my timer, so I worked a lot on transitioning faster. Yesterday I did a little of everything. I started and finished with shooting a few groups and did draws, reloads, transitions and movement in the middle.

I'm going to do some dry fire tonight and tomorrow in preparation for the match, and I'll also be cleaning my magazines, charging batteries, packing my range bag, etc.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I enjoyed the Jabs steel match immensely, but (as always) there are lots of things I could have done better.

I'll go through stage by stage and put the videos below.

Bridge of Doom: My draw was fast, but it took a split second to settle by sights before the first shot. Then it took me 4 shots to hit the bonus plate. I wasn't planning on reloading while moving to the bridge, but I think it actually worked out for the better. I fumbled a reload something awful during the middle of the stage. I almost dropped the magazine, but I ended up catching it against my chest before getting it into the gun. I finished 19/89, which was consistent with my 18/89 overall finish.

Sixes: I really felt good about this stage, with the exception of missing the bonus plate at the start. It wasn't that difficult of a target, I just lacked sight and/or trigger discipline. After that, I was pretty happy with my stage. My movement was good, my reloads were solid, and I was very conscious of my muzzle while moving. I tried to go a little too fast on the last array, since they were huge, and that cost me a couple make up shots. 20/89 overall

Todo Hates It: This was the last stage of the day and my strategy went out the door. I should have done a standing reload at the first position and cleaned up the remaining steel and the bonus plate before moving to the second position. I had gotten into the habit of moving whenever I went to slide lock over the course of the day and that bit me on this stage. Each steel left standing was a 1 second penalty, so it was worth the penalty if you ran dry with only 1 steel left standing. With 3 steel plus the 5 second bonus target, I should have finished up that array before moving. The second array wasn't bad and I made the right decision to leave 2 standing plates on the last array instead of reloading. Not a great stage overall, due to a mental error. 26/89 overall

Dammit Dan: The first stage of the day, and I didn't have the strategy down yet. I hadn't yet got it through my brain that 1 target wasn't worth doing a standing reload. I didn't visualize very well because I didn't know where the targets were in the second position. I also shouldn't have done a standing reload at the second position, since I was able to shoot the bonus from the third position as well. I finished the stage pretty strong, but the first two arrays killed me. 34/89 overall

Scoot: I'm pleased with this stage for the most part. I was happy to hit the 8 second bonus target on the first shot and my accuracy was decent overall. I had planned on shooting to slide lock on the move while coming into the last position, but I ended up doing a reload while coming into that position and I still didn't get all the way to the end of the course like I needed to. Still not bad, my second best stage of the day.

The Long Hallway: I followed a good stage with a terrible one. My worst stage of the match, by far. The two 5 second bonus targets had to be engaged from the edges of the course and all the other arrays must be engaged from a window. I probably should have skipped the bonus targets all together, but they were worth a total of 10 seconds. Poor sight and/or trigger discipline caused me to miss the first one, then my accuracy was terrible on the first array as well. The first two positions hurt, the rest of the stage was pretty good, until I reloaded coming into the last position with the polish plate rack. I didn't seat the magazine well enough, and had to fix the problem before I could finish the stage. 41/89 overall

Pick a Color: My strategy here was to engage each target so as not to get an FTE penalty and if I only had 1 or 2 left when I ran dry, move to the next box while reloading. I followed my plan pretty well and the only hiccup I had was forgetting what color when I went to the yellow box. Some of those targets were SMALL. 17/89 overall

V is for Victory: My best stage of the day, but I would change things a little if I had to do it over. My first two positions were good. I felt like I got on the trigger fast, especially moving into the first position. If I had to do it over, I would have done the reload after the second position and stepped on the stomp box while moving into the center of the V. Instead, I engaged the 3 targets I could see before stepping on the box, which cost me a little time. What cost me even more time was not being able to hit the little plate on the right of the NS. I'm sure I lacked trigger discipline since it was so close. I kept calling my shots as "hits", which is why you can see my body jerking to the left after each shot. I was trying to transition, but the damn plate was still standing. I had a good run on the left side of the V and my muzzle stayed pointed safely downrange while moving into the right side of the V. It wasn't worth doing a standing reload for 2 plates at the last position. 12/89 overall

I finished 18/89 overall, which isn't terrible, but I see where I could have done so much better with just a couple fewer mental/strategy errors, not to mention slightly better accuracy. I tried to shoot the match consistently and I felt like I accomplished that for the most part. I had one bad stage, but it wasn't because I was trying to burn it down or had a high disaster factor stage plan. I just didn't execute my normal stage plan.

I do feel like my transitions are getting faster, which is good because I've been working on them.

Here is my gopro video:

and here is my 3rd person video (thanks to Jogan for filming):

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the MPSA USPSA match this weekend. I had fantastic people in my squad and had a great time overall, even though I made 2 dumb mental errors during the match. I had 3 solid stages, 1 so-so stage and 2 stages with mental errors that hurt an otherwise solid run.

Here’s the Video, the stage breakdown is below:

Stage 1: My foot slipped off the fault line when I came into the first position. The RO gave me the hit on the center steel of the left array, because he saw my hit and they had been having trouble keeping that popper in calibration. I completely blew by one of the targets on the right side of the hallway (highlighted in the video). What’s bad is I didn’t even realize it until someone told me about it afterwards. That means my stage plan/visualization was severely lacking. This was one of those times where I just visualized “shoot the center targets as I see them...” which is obviously the wrong thing to do. The mental aspect is something I’m starting to focus on, but I don’t think I’ve ever completely skipped a target during a stage. I had a little trigger freeze on the later part of the stage. I’m not sure if I was not letting the trigger reset or if I had too tight of a strong hand grip.

Stage 2: Pretty solid stage. I felt like my shot cadence on the partials was appropriate. I called a first round hit on the first steel, but obviously that was a bad call. My hits were pretty good, especially considering the available target area. Lots of penalties on this stage from people pushing just a little too fast.

Stage 3: Second mental mistake of the day. This was simply a case of devoting too much attention to one part of the stage and not enough attention to another part. Everyone ahead of me was rushing and blasting off 4 really fast shots at the clamshell, when they actually had plenty of time to get good hits. I was so concerned about taking my time and getting good hits on the clamshell (I got 4 A’s in a tight group), that I forgot to go back to the stationary target on the right after I got done shooting the drop turner. The 4 A’s on the clamshell helped, but the 2 M’s on the stationary paper really hurt. I probably should have shot the activator popper first so I wouldn’t have to wait as much as I did for the clamshell, but I was worried about the disaster factor being too high.

Stage 4: My stage plan on this stage may not have been the greatest, but instead of changing it right before my turn, I just went with it and tried to execute it the best I could. My hits weren’t as good as I would have liked. I ended up putting 4 hits on the target to the back right because I didn’t like the shots I called. I overran the last position slightly, so I had to take a step back to the left to see one of the targets (hence the “damnit” in the video). A middle-of-the-road run.

Stage 5: My first stage of the day, so it seemed a little slow. My hits were good, I only dropped 1 C.

Stage 6: Classifier 13-05, Tick-Tock. My hits weren’t terrible, considering that I was aiming at the center of the available target area on the top target. My goal was to shoot this the same as any other stage in the match, which I did. Ought to be a solid B classifier, which is where I believe I currently am as a shooter.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the 2016 Alabama State IDPA Match this past Saturday.

I had already decided that this was most likely going to be my last IDPA match because I want to focus more on USPSA. I also had an absolutely crazy week prior to the match and I didn’t want to make the 3.5 hour drive after work on Friday to get to the match. Given those two things, my mind wasn’t really in the match (and it showed).

- Stage 1: The video shows my second run at this stage. On the first run, I blew past the 4th target (one to the far right inside the doorway). It was a mental mistake on my part, but I never got a cover call, so I asked about it after the run. I was told that I made it to the second position so fast that the SO never had time to call “cover” and that if I had retreated, I would have run into the SO. We were the first group of the day and the folks working the stage decided that they would start making the cover call and hang back so the shooter wouldn’t run into the SO if they had to retreat. I was fortunate to get a re-shoot in this case.
    On my second run, I was in USPSA mode and dropped a mag on the way to the second position out of habit. Fortunately I realized my mistake and got a lucky forward bounce, so I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and get it back in the gun. Not a terrible run, but my hits should have probably been better, given the short target distances.

- Stage 2: I had 2 re-shoots on this stage (that made 3 in the first 2 stages of the day). On the first run, the mover got hung up. On the second, the SO forgot to remove the 2x2 they were using to keep people from walking past the photoeye that triggered the mover.
    On my 3rd run, I hesitated after the mover (I’m not sure why) and I pulled the gun back after my next to last shot because I thought I needed to reload. I was down 15, which wasn’t good.

- Stage 3: I called a high miss on the first target (head shot), but the target was out of view by the time it registered. I also called a hit on the non-threat by T3, which I made up. I fumbled the reload at P2 and I should have planned for those 2 big steps to find the last target, instead of slowing stepping out until I saw it. My hits were pretty good, other than the down 5 on T1.

- Stage 4: This stage felt pretty solid, although it identified that I really need to work on my SHO and WHO shooting. I fumbled another reload on the first string and I struggled to find the front sight on the WHO string.

- Stage 5: There was a fine line on this stage regarding the P1. It was difficult to get in a position to shoot T2 without exposing yourself to T4. As you can see in the video, I had to make a pretty hard lean to shoot T2, but I saw a few other shooters not have to lean at all and there’s no way they were behind cover relative to T4. We were warned about taking big steps and getting cover calls in the stage briefing, so you can tell I was just shuffling from position to position.

- Stage 6: Fairly solid run. I lost track of where I was supposed to reload, so you can see I looked at my gun at one point. That was a recurring theme over the day. I have no idea what was causing me to do that.

- Stage 7: All targets required 3 hits. I screwed up and pushed the door open way too hard, which prevented me from putting a 3rd round on T1 because it swung back on me. I hesitated after T3 before going through the doorway. I think it was my USPSA mindset trying to tell me I needed to reload while moving to the next position. I fumbled the reload slightly. My hits were pretty good, considering I got 5 down on T1 because I only fired 2 shots at it.

- Stage 8: I was first on this stage, which helped everyone else out. I ended up having more time than I thought before T3 and T4 appeared, so I could have gotten closer (like most everyone after me did). I might should have done a tac reload while moving to the doorway, but I’m not entirely comfortable doing that on the move. We were told that it was extremely difficult to truly stay behind cover at the doorway, so to just make a good effort. You can see I shifted a little once I opened the door. My hits were good, but my time was fairly slow.

- Stage 9: I had a good plan for T2 and T3, but that seemed to go out the window when the buzzer sounded. I ended up shooting them from the spot I planned, but I attempted to shoot them too soon during the stage. My transitions at P2 weren’t great and I fumbled the reload slightly.

- Stage 10: I called the second shot on T1 low. I made it up, but it got the non-threat right between the eyes. Not extremely fast, but my hits were pretty good.

- Stage 11: We were trucking right along until we got to this stage. The squad in front of us was just starting their walkthrough when we walked up. On top of that, one of the movers broke, which caused an additional 15 or 20 minute delay before we could start shooting.

This was my first time shooting from inside a car, which was interesting. Luckily one of my buddies told me that the target to the right out of the passenger window required a very hard twist, so at the buzzer, I pulled myself forward in the seat and twisted around. That proved to be helpful. I didn’t get a good grip on the gun initially and I forgot where T3 was located. Then I fumbled with the door mechanism and got the gun hung on the window frame. Then I dropped my magazine on the ground, then I couldn’t remember where the target was located through the back window. I called my last show low, but I went to slide lock and didn’t think it was worth reloading. It turns out that I should have, because I pulled the shot low into the non-threat. Looking back, I think I had already turned it in before this stage. After waiting for so long, I should have made myself concentrate more on what I was doing.

- Stage 12: Another cluster. I knew what to do, but my brain didn’t cooperate after the buzzer. T1-T3 were fine, but I did a tac reload with an empty magazine (1 round still in the chamber) after T4, when it would have been quicker to shoot another round at it. I ended up shooting more rounds than planned at T5-T7 (called the 2nd shot low on T7 and made it up. Hit the non-threat), so my brain told me I needed to do another tac reload before the last position. I still had 4 rounds in the gun, but the tac reload would have been ok, had I not initiated it going across the hallway, so I got dinged with a procedural.

- Overall: 4 non-threats and a procedural. The good thing was I called all of the non-threat hits low and made them up (except for stage 11 when I was at slide lock). For various reasons, my head wasn’t in the game. I knew that going in, so I just wanted to see my sights and call my shots. I did that pretty well on the egregious errors, but I had a bunch of down 1’s and a few down 3’s that I didn’t call very well. Of course, the number of moving targets in this match was pretty intense, especially going into it ill-prepared. I’m disappointed in how I shot, but I couldn’t expect any better because I didn’t put in the time to train and practice. I’m honestly glad that it’s my final IDPA match because I have a lot more fun shooting USPSA, especially at major matches. I might shoot a local IDPA match on occasion, but I honestly have no desire to go to another Tier 2 or above.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why are you wanting to focus more on USPSA rather than IDPA? Just curious

I just like USPSA more than IDPA. Nothing wrong with either of them, I've just gotten to where I feel like all the rules and requirements of IDPA are getting in the way of my shooting. I'll probably still shoot a NWFDPS match every now and then, because I have a ton of fun hanging out with everyone there, but I want to focus on getting better at USPSA instead of constantly swapping back and forth.

Qoholeth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aw, Jeep, I quit shooting every Saturday night and just get another gun out along about Thursday, cuz I convince myself it was the gun and go blasting agin on Saturday. Rinse and repeat as needed. the Rev, out!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here’s my breakdown of the MPSA match last weekend.

I felt like I had a pretty solid match, with only a few errors.

Video here:

Stage 1: Good table start, I didn’t quite get high enough over the net at the very beginning. Every target required 3 hits, which meant at least 1 standing reload. I hit the small popper over the top of the barrel, but it didn’t fall. Calling my shots through the snow fence at the end of the barrel was a pain. I felt good about the hits, but I had to wait to see if they fell because they all had to be shot from through the barrel. I had planned to shoot the swingers after the barrel, but then I realized the activator never fell. I still should have probably shot the swingers before moving to the last position, but they were moving so fast it was intimidating. Once I got back to the swingers, I decided my magazine was too clean….twice. I know now that my CZ will function with all sorts of sand and crap in the mag. My only D and M were on the swingers (which hadn’t really slowed down by the time I got back to them).

Stage 2: Solid stage. I should have hit the popper on the first shot and my transitions could have been faster, but I can’t complain a lot about it.

Stage 3: I felt like my reloads were a little slow, after watching the video. I’m going to be spending more time on that in dry fire. The damn popper got me on this stage. You should always look around at the targets before you unload and show clear. I called the hit, heard the ding, and the darn thing just kept standing. I called for calibration and it passed (wobbled slightly, but fell). Solid run, except for leaving the popper.

Stage 4: I had a discussion about this stage with several other shooters. We were all debating on how to shoot it. My thoughts were to start shooting as quick as possible, even if that meant you had to run by a position later on in the stage. I feel good about my plan, but I should have shot the array of targets in a different order. I should have shot the top left first, as I’m stepping up to the window, then shot the bottom left, bottom right, and lastly the top right, as I’m starting to leave the position. Those are some of the little things that I need to work on. I over cooked it going into the last position and ended up hopping on one foot outside of the fault lines, before having to regain my balance and step back inside before I could finish shooting the stage. I blame my gamer shoes and my incredible speed. Solid stage overall, all A’s.

Stage 5: Another solid stage. My long range accuracy hurt me more than anything else on this stage. I’ve been needing to work on that aspect of my game, but I haven’t encountered many stages with targets this far.

Stage 6: Classifier 09-09 – Lightning and Thunder. This was the first time I had ever shot a par time classifier and it was a little odd. You were given 5 seconds to shoot each string. I barely made string one and my accuracy was pretty bad. I ended up having more time on string 2 than I imagined, because I had a good reload. Any sort of bobble on the reload and you were almost guaranteed to give up an M or three. I had plenty of time on string 3, but I couldn’t make myself slow down after the previous two strings. My long range shots were all low, probably due to bad trigger control.

Like I said above, I felt pretty decent about the match. I felt like I would place better than I ended up, but I have no control over how other people shoot on any given day. This match was just like any other: There were some things I was pleased with (lots of things, in this case), and it also highlighted several components I need to work on.

I also dry fired last night for the first time in probably a month or more. I went back to basics and it felt good. Trigger control, draws and reloads until I started tearing up my fingers. I have some sharp spots o my mag pouches that I need to find and file down. Going to try and get back in a dry fire rhythm so I can start seeing more gains in my shooting. I feel like I’ve been on a plateau for a little while now.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Lately I've been focusing more on getting back into better shape than I have on advancing my shooting (although getting back into better shape certainly won't hurt my shooting). I ran over 4 miles on Monday and I think I’m going to try some interval training starting today.

However, after a conversation with a fellow shooter and forum member yesterday, I got motivated and did some dry fire last night. I typically earn 90-95% of the available points on a stage, so my accuracy is where I want it to be. I just need to work on my speed, specifically reducing the time I'm not actively shooting. My splits aren't bad, but I lose a lot of time transitioning between targets when stationary at a shooting position and moving between targets/taking too much time to start shooting the next array.

Transitions:
    My dry fire has been contained to my gun room, which is very small and requires 1/3 and 1/6 scale targets, but it's about to expand out into the rest of the house where I can do more movement work. For yesterday, though, I started off doing wide (90 degree) transitions focusing only on speed. I used targets at a simulated 6-8 yards, which allowed me to really push speed without having to focus too much on the sights. Since I can pretty much point shoot at that distance, I concentrated on getting the gun to the next target as quickly as possible. If I saw the sights, great; if not, no big deal. Remember I was in speed mode only, so accuracy is of no concern.

Footwork/Movement:

Explosive movement - After analyzing my videos compared to a lot of higher level shooters, I noticed that almost all of them in a very low, wide stance with their knees bent, even going so far as to put a lot of their weight on the opposite leg to the direction they are moving next so they can just push off to start their movement. I tend to shoot with a wide stance, but my knees are almost straight, which means I have to drop down and bend my knees before I can explode to the next position. While this feels fast when you’re shooting, you end up wasting a couple tenths of a second in each position, and that adds up to a lot over the course of a match.

Controlled deceleration – Another big thing I noticed about my movement compared to high level shooters is the way they decelerate into a shooting position. Top shooters tend to “glide” into a position, by keeping their knees bent and making several small steps to decelerate smoothly. A lot of times, they are stable enough to shoot while coming into a position (given the target difficulty doesn’t require a completely solid position). I tend to come in hot, then plant a foot to stop abruptly. Not only does this sometimes bite me when my foot stops and I keep going, but it also requires me to stabilize myself before I can start shooting. Again, this feels faster than coming into a position in a more controlled manner, but there's a reason that the top shooters do it that way.

Fundamentally, I know both of these observations are true. Still, my plan is to take my camera and tripod out to the range soon and run a series of drills. First, using my current method of movement; then, focusing on using the methods of the top shooters. I’m really interested to see how much time I can gain by doing so.

In addition to working on transitions in last night’s dry fire session, I also worked on reloads and draws. My reloads the last few matches have been iffy at best, with lots of fumbles and just very slow overall. I can regularly hit .7 seconds to draw and dry fire on a 7yd target in speed mode, which I feel is adequate. I just need to get to the point where my gun is always pointing at the same spot in that same amount of time or maybe slightly more.

I’m shooting the ECPS USPSA match at CORE this weekend, then the BPSA CQB Rifle match next weekend. I’ve also got the Texas State Open Championship USPSA match toward the end of next month. Based on my schedule and available matches, I may not shoot any USPSA matches in June before the Texas match. I’d probably be better off doing some deliberate practice anyway. The trouble is, I feel like I need to work on EVERYTHING right now. I need to shoot more matches to get better at visualization and burning in a stage plan, I need to do more live fire practice to get better at calling my shots and confirming what I’ve gained in dry fire, I need to do more dry fire to get all the basics down pat.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc? Let’s get this back into a dialogue rather than a monologue. I’d love to talk more about different people’s perspectives/mantras/plans/etc.

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like a very well thought out analysis of what you need to do to move into the next level. I suggest only emphasising one skill at a time. Keep up with dry firing but really work on your foot work as this will help you gain the most time. Also it dovetails in nicely with your physical training program. Once you have your footwork down then fine tune you target transitions and other similar skills. I am concerned that if you are trying to do everything then you will become paralysed when you get to the firing line. So next match focus on one thing then build from there.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looks like a very well thought out analysis of what you need to do to move into the next level. I suggest only emphasising one skill at a time. Keep up with dry firing but really work on your foot work as this will help you gain the most time. Also it dovetails in nicely with your physical training program. Once you have your footwork down then fine tune you target transitions and other similar skills. I am concerned that if you are trying to do everything then you will become paralysed when you get to the firing line. So next match focus on one thing then build from there.

That's a very good point. I agree that my typical "shotgun" approach will probably not be the best way to proceed, but I think my transitions may take priority over the movement. If I can gain .1 second on each transition, that adds up to a lot on a stage with 16+ targets. There are generally 5 positions at most on any given stage, so unless I can gain a whole lot of time during each movement (might very likely be possible, I'm not sure yet), then I might not gain as much time as I could by shortening my transitions.

I've heard this multiple times (including yesterday), but it's very true: Competition shooting is a lot like golf. If you start thinking about too many things, then you're bound to screw up.

If I can work on transitions for 15 minutes, then movement for 15 minutes over a few dry fire sessions, that may be enough to get those skills committed to my subconscious, where I can then focus on other things.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How long are you going to torture yourself in production?

Until I feel like I can do those $3000+ guns justice.

Seriously though, Limited and Open keep popping back up in my head. I just have to keep reminding myself that I went back to Production for a reason. Cheaper everything, guns easier to maintain, etc.

Top Bottom