• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a conundrum, as far as what match(es) to shoot in the upcoming month. I'm definitely going to shoot open at the MPSA match this Saturday, then I'm conflicted about what to shoot on the weekend of Oct. 15th.

There is going to be a GSSF match in Mobile on the 15th-16th and there is a USPSA match on the 15th at CORE (ECPS) in Baker, FL. I typically shoot the GSSF matches because of their liberal distribution of cash and prizes, but I should probably practice shooting open at ECPS since that's the weekend before the Gator Classic in Louisiana. There's a small chance I could shoot the USPSA match on Saturday and the GSSF match on Sunday, but I can't count on that. What should I do?

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oh the problems you have Jeep, how do you ever manage lol? I think you should go to the GSSF match for the reasons you stated. They are very liberal on they're prizes and those GSSF matches are few and far between as far as our area.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you know you want to shoot core with " the gang" shoot "the bend" and core. Tune ups for gator. I finally made it out to BPSA last Sunday, fun had by all.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pcolagunner you, for sure would have a great time at "the bend". Come shoot Saturday!

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Have yet to shoot a USPSA match. I was thinking about heading to CORE for the match on the 15th. Maybe I'll see you guys up there.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the MPSA USPSA match this past weekend. Finished 2nd overall, at 99.38% of the winner.

I had a bit of a brain fart on stage 1. I was supposed to reload while moving to the 3rd position (where I could shoot all of the rest of the targets) and start shooting the paper first. Instead, I took a single step while reloading, then had to move and I started shooting the steel first. Poor visualization led to poor execution.

My classifier ought to be just over 75%, which is A class.

I had a miss on the second to last target on stage 3 (the one I swung past after the last steel). I didn't call it and both impacts appear to be behind the target in the video, so I have no idea what happened.

I need to be a little more patient and precise when shooting steel. I had way too many make up shots during the match. Other than that I need to keep working on speeding up transitions (as always) and movement, as well as just putting more rounds downrange to get used to the gun and tracking the dot. I did some shooting on the move during the match, but I think I can speed that up as well. I just need to verify that in practice.

The gun ran great and I feel pretty good about the match, overall. I didn't try to go out and do anything crazy, I just shot firmly in match mode.

It's looking like I should be able to shoot both the ECPS USPSA match at CORE and the GSSF match the weekend of the 15th-16th, so that's nice.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    ^^Charging handle?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah I typed before I thought. Does it really need to be stippled under the trigger guard?

It feels better when shooting. If it's smooth, it seems like I can't get a strong weak hand grip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I see. Is it much heavier than the CZ?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I shot the ECPS USPSA match this past Saturday. Here are the videos:

This match was a little more hoser-ish than normal, but it was still pretty fun.

I learned several things from this match, such as:

* I'm not moving nearly as aggressively as I should. It feels like I am while shooting, but the 3rd person video shows the truth.

* If I have gear problems during "make ready," I need to walk away and sort them out before I shoot the stage. I had a magazine problem during "make ready" on the classifier and chose to shoot it with just one mag on my belt, which was a mistake.

* Poorly adjusted poppers are a huge pain. During my first run shooting the classifier (not in the video), the last popper wobbled, but stayed up. I almost shot it again, but I could see my impact was low, but inside the calibration zone (shooting major, btw). I called for calibration and the shooter shot it near the very top of the calibration zone, which of course caused it to fall. The RO/score keeper forgot to record my time and lost it during the shuffle, so I got a re-shoot anyway, but my first run was solid.

* I need to be more patient/deliberate when shooting steel. I currently don't have anywhere to practice shooting steel (this will be remedied shortly), so I tend to get a little sloppy and sling a shot when the dot flashes across the steel.

* If I have a malfunction, I need to keep my eyes on the gun. I had a malfunction (not sure what happened, first malfunction with this gun) on stage 1, which screwed up my stage plan as far as the timing of shooting the drop-turner. I took my eyes off of the gun to look at the drop-turner, which caused me to miss the slide racker the first time.

* I need to learn the rules a little better. We had 2 disappearing targets during the match, which I know are no penalty mikes, but I wasn't aware that there is no FTE for not shooting at them. My plan on stage 1 would have definitely been different had I known that.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I currently don't have anywhere to practice shooting steel (this will be remedied shortly)

Go on....

I liked the 3rd person video, really shows the speed.

On the first person video the microphone made it sound like you were almost shooting suppressed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Go on....

I liked the 3rd person video, really shows the speed.

On the first person video the microphone made it sound like you were almost shooting suppressed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm going to join MPSA in Vinegar Bend at some point soon. The new Session 5 apparently doesn't like the sound of my open gun...

Im jealous of your draw! Great speed!

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! It works!

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Match videos from the Gator Classic:

I did 2 unnecessary reloads (poor visualization on stage 5 and 10), I made some good decisions to make up shots, I picked a stage plan or two that were a little above my skill level, had tons of fun, and learned a lot!

One of the biggest takeaways from the 3rd person video is that I slow way down when I reload compared to movement between positions without reloading. This is the first time I had really good footage of that. I also need to work on staying lower. This match and shooting with some folks that are much better than me has really got me motivated to hit the live and dry fire hard.

Top Bottom