• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    (7/27) DAEZEE and I headed out for another hunt just before dark. We got there a little early so I could see how high the cotton was. Some portions of the field were not planted and in some places the cotton is fairly sparse and still low. The "doing well" plants were up to 14 inches tall now. Luckily we have several spots to sit that we look ever so slightly down on these vast fields. There are other places surrounding these vast fields that we can move to,to get a even better aspect of the fields and their contours.

Last night we were sitting side by side on a "road" that divides two rather large fields. From this vantage point we can probably see the most total acreage. Basically,it is in the middle of "the action". About 2130 Bruce looks out in front of us with his handheld thermal and sez ..."ky-oh-tee". A biggun is standing out there,broadside,just looking at us with the help of the fairly bright moon. No time for the shooting sticks. I simply stood up and shot. It could have been a clean miss ...... HOWEVER ...... I believe that the bullet from my 300BLK simply bounced off. Anyway ........ he went from zero to mach II in about 10yds and kept up that speed for the 200yds that I could see him. SHIT !!

Next ... I walked over to a higher spot to get a better view of another field and when I looked back there was a big hog crossing the road that were were sitting. I headed back towards Bruce,and he had seen the hog also and was headed in his direction. I caught up with Bruce and we came up with a "plan". The hog went out into the field however he was not feeding but in his "going somewhere" mode. That is a fast walk,about the speed of a humans med-fast walk. From experience I knew he could not be turned or stopped. Our only hope was to try to move out in front of him and let him come to us. I even tried some loud grunts and he did not even look at us .... just kept up the pace.

I never got close enough for a shot and he continued for several hundred yards until he disappeared into the woods on the W side of the field. I felt like I had been on a fast treadmill. >SHIT !!< He was good sized and I figured the hog was a lone boar.

Couple of hours later Bruce looked towards the direction that the hog disappeared in and sez "take a look over there,something just came out in the corner of that field". (probably 450yds away) I took a look and sure enough there was a target out there,but too far,but more important,in too tall of cotton,to make out deer or hog. After a little cussin' and discussin' I decided to head that way enough to be able to ID the animal.

After closing the distance by 150yds or so I could tell it was a hog,simply by the way it moved + "no neck and no legs". He was slowly feeding along between the tall cotton and the edge of the property. I had to position myself not only to get a shot at the hog,but as to NOT shoot in the direction of some farm houses. After a 20 minute stalk I did just this.

NOW .... he was feeding right towards me. I got on the Primos Trigger Stick(bipod),adjusted my thermal for a close(r) shot,and waited. I was still and in black and he didn't have a clue that I was there ... even in the bright moonlight. I waited until he got to about 20yds then put one on he noggin. For some strange reason this bullet did not bounce off(like all the bullshit floating around by the ballistic guru's). He was DRT. The Barnes 110gr TAC-X entered close to his eye(in back of his eye,in front of his ear) and did not exit.

Two old farts trying to get the 225lb boar hog(with cutters) on the tailgate of my rather high truck is another story. Jeeeeeeeze !!! --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg

The family it went to picked him up about 12:30am this morning. This one too will be going to family relatives in Missouri. The daughter now living in Mo was raised on wild game and missed having it to eat. Her dad will be taking it when the visiting grand kids go back to Mo.

I was watching Sawman through a hand held thermal. When he shot, it simply dropped right there. Quite the chore to get it loaded. The first time the hog appeared, I stalked with Sawman, hoping to get a video of the kill. The 2nd time it appeared, I chose to stay where I was in case another hog appears elsewhere.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      120.4 KB · Views: 200
    • imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      132.4 KB · Views: 199

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

The family the hog went to was cutting it up and noticed some discoloration in the shoulder. Digging in, they found one of the broken off bullet petals and most of the bullet. Missing is the other petal. Barnes 110gr Blacktip 300 Blackout bullet. Went through head, neck, and stopped in the shoulder. I gave it to Sawman this morning.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 172
    • imagejpeg_1.jpg
      imagejpeg_1.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 171

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you gentlemen.

These Barnes line of bullets are highly recommended. For the reloader they are easily obtainable from quite a few different sources. In the factory loadings they are available from Barnes and several others. They are fairly expensive,however for just sight-in then one shot one kill,I consider them some relatively cheap "insurance" for a quick,clean kill.

The above bullet went thru the side of the hogs rather thick skull,the sinus areas,it exited thru the back of the brain pan,traveled thru the hogs thick,muscular neck,down into the massive shoulders,and thru some pretty thick cartilage. This bullet weighed out at 94.5grs (starting at 110grs). This is not typical of these bullets performance if you hit most other parts of the hogs body,even the thick shoulder plate on a rather large boar. I have seen these bullets (TSX and the TTSX) only loose 5grs. Used on a deer,they sometimes loose even less.

Remember ......NO jacket. Kinda like a super hard cast lead,only even harder ..... but not brittle. These are the bullets that I recommend to people that are looking for the somewhat better trajectory of a much lighter bullet,but will (IMO) out perform a much heavier bullet. For the animals we hunt here in Fla,and in some other parts of the US you can throw the traditional copper jacketed,soft lead core bullets out the window. In a 308Win,there is no need for a >150gr bullet. Same for a 30-06 and even the 300Win Mag and others. Same for a 270Win. No need for the traditional 130 or 150gr bullets. It is about the same up and down the caliber ladder. Faster bullet,better trajectory,better terminal performance. It's a win-win.

Good Huntin' To All --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Added for compairson purposes -----> 300BLK,110gr Barnes TAC-X (black Tip),flanked by two US Milspec 5.56X45rds. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC01076.jpg
      DSC01076.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 126

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Great stuff fellas and nice hog, I'm sure the family was very appreciative of the meat.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Great stuff fellas and nice hog, I'm sure the family was very appreciative of the meat.

The mom sent a nice thank you note. Plus some was brought to the "5th Thursday Potluck Dinner" at the Whiting Field Dispensary and got all eaten.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No sir ..... no selling involved here. We have not,or will not,ever sell any hog that we kill.

We enjoy the hunt,that is enough for us. Just some ol' farts trying to stay active and continue to enjoy life. Part of that enjoyment is seeing others enjoy the great eating of this wild game.

Just had a buddy call me from a hunt he was on out in Texas. It was a guided hunt. The fee ......... $1.00 per pound .... ON THE HOOF. He killed an 80lb hog so $80. DAMN !!

The cotton is getting pretty high now. A deer will stand out because we can still see the head/neck area. However a hog is another thing. The last hunt (two nights ago) we had separated so that I could take a look at another part of a field. I detected 4 heat signatures (we call them targets) out about 100yds in the tall(16 inch or so)cotton. Cotton has large leaves with makes it able to hide the targets of they are low enough.

I had to move perpendicular with the rows so that I could look down the rows to be able to get a better look at the targets. As I would move,they would move so it took some time to conclude that they were feeding hogs. It was Daezee's turn to shoot so I headed back to get him. By the time we got back to the area,the hogs were gone or possibly laying down. Gone ! They will be back. I do not consider this a missed opportunity .... just a delayed one. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    No sir ..... no selling involved here. We have not,or will not,ever sell any hog that we kill.

We enjoy the hunt,that is enough for us. Just some ol' farts trying to stay active and continue to enjoy life. Part of that enjoyment is seeing others enjoy the great eating of this wild game.

Just had a buddy call me from a hunt he was on out in Texas. It was a guided hunt. The fee ......... $1.00 per pound .... ON THE HOOF. He killed an 80lb hog so $80. DAMN !!

The cotton is getting pretty high now. A deer will stand out because we can still see the head/neck area. However a hog is another thing. The last hunt (two nights ago) we had separated so that I could take a look at another part of a field. I detected 4 heat signatures (we call them targets) out about 100yds in the tall(16 inch or so)cotton. Cotton has large leaves with makes it able to hide the targets of they are low enough.

I had to move perpendicular with the rows so that I could look down the rows to be able to get a better look at the targets. As I would move,they would move so it took some time to conclude that they were feeding hogs. It was Daezee's turn to shoot so I headed back to get him. By the time we got back to the area,the hogs were gone or possibly laying down. Gone ! They will be back. I do not consider this a missed opportunity .... just a delayed one. --- SAWMAN

sawman, what type of communications do you all use in these hunts?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So do you guys sell them or do you just give them away?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

As Sawman said, we give it away. Our "best" customers are those that will take the whole hog and they do the cleaning and disposing of the guts, bones, and hide. I have given a few raw hams and shoulders (that I had cut out and soaked the blood out of) to a few families, but giving the whole hog away as-is is preferred, as it means we won't have to be up most of the night cleaning. As-is, there's still a bit of work involved, especially when you are 67 years old, in dragging the hog, getting it in the car or truck, and getting it home so the "being given to family" can meet at your home. Weighing the hog is rather fun...each person gives it their best guess and then we see who's closest to the actual weight. We've gotten pretty good at guessing weigh.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would you guys ever consider letting me join you and helping me / teach me how to cut it up? I would love to learn and also fill my freezer up with some of that. I would be more than happy to compensate you for your time if so. I have never really hunted before but I've been interested in starting up but other things in life have gotten in the way of me taking Hunters Ed and getting all the necessary equip.
    I've helped process elk and moose a couple times but that was year and years ago.

Top Bottom