• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. — The Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) has banned firearms at rest stops along the state’s highways and many are questioning its legal authority to do so. Despite being an open-carry and concealed-carry state, Alabama now has signs at every rest station that read “no weapons beyond this point”.

ALDOT cites Section 25-1-59(c) of the Alabama Code that gives it them power to “prescribe any reasonable rules and regulations so as to prevent unnecessary trespassing upon or injury to any of the public roads, bridges, or highways of the state upon which state money may be expended or appropriated or upon any part of the right-of-way of any of the public roads or highways in the state upon which state money may be expended or appropriated.”

In their own administrative rule 450-3-1-.08(3), ALDOT created a regulation under the authority of Ala. Code 25-1-59 which reads “No person other than a duly authorized law enforcement officer shall enter any Alabama Department of Transportation building with a firearm as defined in Section 13A-8-1(4), Code of Ala. 1975, without the written permission of the Director.”

This ALDOT enactment seemingly contradicts state statute. Ala. Code Section 13A-11-61.3, which is specifically titled “Regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories”, gives “the Legislature complete control over regulation and policy pertaining to firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation and policy is applied uniformly throughout this state to each person subject to the state’s jurisdiction and to ensure protection of the right to keep and bear arms recognized by the Constitutions of the State of Alabama and the United States.”

The department’s interpretation, according to their own legal citations, indicates that it views all gun-owners as trespassers or those would cause “injury to public roads”, as it is the only construable way to ban firearms from the public property rest stops.

Yellowhammer reached out to ALDOT multiple times for comment, but had not received a response by press time.

In an interview with Yellowhammer, Rep. Barry Moore (R-Montgomery) said “I think that’s certainly an overstep. The Second Amendment is pretty clear: [government] SHALL not infringe. It seems like more and more, government tends to infringe on our right to bear arms. If anything I think we need to be getting rid of gun-free zones, not creating more of them.”

In light of the tragic shooting of four Marines and a Navy sailor in a Chattanooga, Tennessee gun-free zone last Thursday, the concept of weapons bans has once again come under public scrutiny.

Senator Bill Holtzclaw (R-Madison) told Yellowhammer after the Chattanooga shooting last week, “I believe that, nationwide, we’ve created these gun-free zones and cowards that want to be a martyr for their cause are attracted to them because they know that they’re going to be more successful in whatever form of terrorism or activism that they are trying to accomplish.” He continued, “So when we label a gun-free zone, we actually create a killing field for those people who obviously aren’t going to follow a law like that.”

http://yellowhammernews.com/politic...jZC02MzZmLTQ4NGItYTUyNC04NzBhMThlNmMzMDkifQ==

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like we have the wrong people in charge of ALDOT. Seems to me if there is enough public opposition that these people could be made to go find another job. I would have thought ALDOT would have had a more reasonable person in charge. I will do my part to resolve this. And by the way what about the hunters and gun enthusiast that pass through this state and spend money here are the going to by pass Alabama.

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Guess ill be stopping on the side of the road to pee from now on. We frequently carry firearms when we go to the range up at fort rucker. We have to carry a m9 sidearm to guard the M4, 249 and 240B for the range. How is that going to work now?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Guess ill be stopping on the side of the road to pee from now on. We frequently carry firearms when we go to the range up at fort rucker. We have to carry a m9 sidearm to guard the M4, 249 and 240B for the range. How is that going to work now?

Two classes. When acting in an official capacity for the GOV you're fine. But as soon as you're just a lowly citizen, you can't be trusted and need to disarm if you want to get a $2 bag of melted m&ms on the side of the freeway.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    And the proper response is "Uh yeh, whatever" and keep doing what you are doing. Bureaucratic idiots. They don't have anything to do so they sit around and think of crap like this. I will ignore it just like the rest of the signs.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the government can't protect you and your family. So I carry my everywhere with all this crazy ppl out here today. Alabama is under staff in everything and is about to be broke. They wonder why everybody leaving Alabama. It's sad cause it's a easy state to live in. Just how I see it.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ala. Code Section 13A-11-61.3, which is specifically titled “Regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories”, gives “the Legislature complete control over regulation and policy pertaining to firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories in order to ensure that such regulation and policy is applied uniformly throughout this state to each person subject to the state’s jurisdiction and to ensure protection of the right to keep and bear arms recognized by the Constitutions of the State of Alabama and the United States.”

It might have to go through a court but hopefully it will not last long. Last I heard, ALDOT is not part of the legislature.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen them in the past at some of the AL rest areas, but I just did like I always do with those silly signs, ignored it.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sometimes I can't read all that well especially when the signs are idiotic gibberish that violate my Constitutional Rights

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can't "trespass" on public property that has open access 24/7. Public property belongs to We The People. There is no greater threat of injury to roads or buildings when carrying a weapon at a rest stop then there is carrying one in your car. Vehicle accidents gouge and burn the roadway every day. Never heard of anybody getting charged for trespass on that or get a bill for the "injury to the roadway". Total anti gun bullshit. This is a clear case of Gov criminalization of lawful activities. I would love to see this one go to Court! This needs to be shoved up the Governor's ass until he fires those responsible. His representatives have created an unlawful and unsafe condition.

Seems like a great place to have a Pro 2A Rally!

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ONLY way that might work is if they put armed guards at all the rest stops. I see alot of old men driving golf carts that are suposed to keep you safe.

They would never know unless you had to shoot someone. Then charge you for having a gun and let the bad guy go.
    Bullshit law!!!!!!

Top Bottom