• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I have been very interested in some of the old school rifles since I'm a WWII nut. I most recently decided my first for the collection would be either an '03 Springfield or a Mauser. I ran into a K98 sporter at the gun show today that was priced at $275 that looked very much like this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491088286

It looked very good and as I looked over the markings, I realize that beyond the fact that I want one, I have no idea what I am looking at or what to look for when buying. I love the look and feel of the sporter, but I was not sure if at $275 it was a deal. So, for those Mauser aficionados out there, what should I look for? I know, it's quite an open ended question since these things have been produced since the days of Moses and only a trazillion have been made by countless countries. What I am looking for are what are some good countries and years of origin, what should I stay away from, etc? From there, what would be a 'reasonable' price (I'm waiting to cringe when someone says "you should've jumped on that one at the gun show!!!!") for a good condition one that I could use as a play and general purpose rifle.

Input, suggestions, etc are appreciated. :usa2:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    it looks fair price to me, not very low,not very high, gun looks good, wish i could get one like that.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That one looked to me like a pretty good deal. If you want to go the 8mm way. If not a 1903 will be in 30-06 unless it has been re-barreled or re-chambered. If you do go the 1903 route beware of the low serial number issue. Low serial numbers on both Springfield and Rock Island receivers may have a hardness issue. Some people do not care about it but why tempt fate. Google "1903 low serial number" for more information.

Idoono

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That one looked to me like a pretty good deal. If you want to go the 8mm way. If not a 1903 will be in 30-06 unless it has been re-barreled or re-chambered. If you do go the 1903 route beware of the low serial number issue. Low serial numbers on both Springfield and Rock Island receivers may have a hardness issue. Some people do not care about it but why tempt fate. Google "1903 low serial number" for more information.

Idoono

Interesting info, thanks for the heads up. After some consideration, probably best to stick with a caliber that is readily available with either the Springfield or Mosin.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i think hot iron may have some chinese 8mm in a can...

if i don't buy it first....:bounce:

pcola4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple. 8mm, 7mm are easy to come by and inexpensive. Also have a 6.5 x 57. Ammo ain't cheap. 6.5 x 55 cheap and a great round for whitetail. If you are a serious collector make sure serial numbers match on different parts of rifle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pcola4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also check rifling. Some are shot out and not accurate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Also on the sporter mausers be very careful to check for bolt slack I've seen a lot of these showing up at gun shows if you don't know what bolt slack is its the play in the bolt when pulled back I've been seeing a lot of these fly by night guys throwing odd ball bolts in old actions and calling it good. It's always good to make sure to ask if it's a numbers matching gun or if you know what your looking at make sure it is as for Mauser you can't ask for a more fun to play with hunt with just all around most reliable gun to own. Also the 8mm one is the easiest Mauser Ammos to find I've even found it at Walmart every now and then

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm, awesome insight folks. I never thought to check for bolt slack, so I'll be sure to check that out. On matching the numbers, whereabouts on the gun should I be looking in order to make sure the numbers are in sync?

With the 8mm stuff, after going through some brass, how safe is it to reload to higher pressures to get closer to 30-06 specs with these old actions? I've read that the 8mm is typically loaded to pressures lower than what is optimal for the round, so just wondering on that one.

Top Bottom