• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am currently in the middle of getting a trust setup. I am wanting to suppress a handgun. I've been looking at getting a Ruger 22/45 for the job. But now that SA has come out with XDm models with threaded barrells I'm torn. I am a huge fan of XDm's. I guess what I am wanting to know is how quiet is a 9mm or a .45 compared to a .22. I've never shot a suppressed gun before, nor do any of my friends have them, so I'm kind of doing this blind.

Also, does anyone know of someone local that sells suppressors or can handle the transfers? I'm about 6-12 months away from making a purchase so I'm not in a hurry at all.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    With the right can and Ammo, they're all pretty quiet. The 22/45 with Ammo that's subsonic is most likely going be the quietest unless you're looking at single shot pistols in 9/45.

22 cans are going to be quite a bit cheaper than 9 or 45 cans.

You can shoot 9 and 45 through a 45 can. Downside for 9 through a 45 can is the extra bulk but it can be quieter than shooting a dedicated 9mm can.

Not recommended to shoot 22 through a can that cannot be disassembled.

Check out silencershop.com. they list tons of options and their pricing is pretty good.

I'm a FL dealer and would be happy to sell you something through one of your local dealers if you don't like their pricing (assuming my prices are cheaper)

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the right can and Ammo, they're all pretty quiet. The 22/45 with Ammo that's subsonic is most likely going be the quietest unless you're looking at single shot pistols in 9/45.

22 cans are going to be quite a bit cheaper than 9 or 45 cans.

You can shoot 9 and 45 through a 45 can. Downside for 9 through a 45 can is the extra bulk but it can be quieter than shooting a dedicated 9mm can.

Not recommended to shoot 22 through a can that cannot be disassembled.

Check out silencershop.com. they list tons of options and their pricing is pretty good.

I'm a FL dealer and would be happy to sell you something through one of your local dealers if you don't like their pricing (assuming my prices are cheaper)

That's good to know. I have done some looking on silencershop.com. They seem to offer a great variety. I guess I'm wondering is how quiet is a suppressed 9mm/.45 really? Like don't need ear protection quiet? or wouldn't wake a sleeping baby quiet?

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think i might have to be looking into a new XDm then and a .45 can. I love the versatility since I shoot both calibers. When I get the trust setup and start getting further into the process I'll have to make a drive out your way. I'm not sure of anyone in my area that sells them. Outpost Elite has one person licensed for it at their Dothan store. But no one at their Spanish Fort location.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For the can, you'll need to find a SOT in your area to either buy from or do the transfer through (if you buy through silencershop or me... or another dealer out of state)

Let me know when you're looking for the XDm. I can get those and would be happy to sell then ship to a dealer in AL for you.

I shoot at ERGC about once a week. We could meet out there if you were interested in a demo. I've got a couple different cans in 22 and 9. Nothing on hand for 45 right now but that's bound to change in the next few months

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that the range right off of Hwy. 59? I was planning on taking a CCW course their later this summer. Do they keep suppressors in stock or do you have to place an order?

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the can, you'll need to find a SOT in your area to either buy from or do the transfer through (if you buy through silencershop or me... or another dealer out of state)

Let me know when you're looking for the XDm. I can get those and would be happy to sell then ship to a dealer in AL for you.

I shoot at ERGC about once a week. We could meet out there if you were interested in a demo. I've got a couple different cans in 22 and 9. Nothing on hand for 45 right now but that's bound to change in the next few months
    I'll definitely let you know about the XDm. How far out is ERGC?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Regardless of manufacturer, if you use supersonic ammo, you will get a supersonic "crack" when the gun is fired: unless it's an integrally-suppressed design with appropriate porting, or the barrel is so short that the round can't get fast enough before it enters the suppressor). So, for 9mm, if you can find 147-grain target ammo, it should be subsonic (147-gr personal defense ammo can be supersonic). For .45 ACP, most ammo is already subsonic, so you'll have a better chance of finding subsonic target ammo. For 22LR, "Standard Velocity" ammo will usually be subsonic out of a short-barreled pistol. "High" and "Hyper velocity" will usually still have a sonic "crack".

If you're going the 45-cal suppressor route, look into the Silencerco Octane 45. User-serviceable with their click-to-assemble baffles, so no lead/carbon gets built-up on the inside of the tube. Very easy to disassemble, and the stainless steel baffles allow you a huge variety of ways to clean them. Also, you can get different mounts for the can, so you can thread it onto the "standard" .45ACP threads of .578x28, or the common 9mm and 22LR muzzle threads of 1/2x28, and switch back-and-forth as you like.

Also, if you plan to use your 45-cal suppressor on a 22LR, then go for a "fixed barrel" platform like the Ruger 22/45 or a S&W 22 Compact. Then you don't have to worry about that extra weight hanging off the barrel and causing cycling problems with a moving barrel in a common semi-auto pistol.

No suppressor is perfect for every application; they all have trade-offs in various areas. The .45-cal suppressor seems a better "first can" for you. Regardless, with a trust, you will most likely be purchasing more than one suppressor. It's an addiction. Welcome to the club!

Last edited:

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the awesome advice. I've definitely decided on a .45 suppressor. I had been looking at the Osprey because of the lower profile, and being able to work with standard sights(so they claim). But the Octane looks like it's a solid choice for a first time suppressor. Plus I think this is going to be the reason I need to buy one of the new XDm's with raised sights and a threaded barrel so the low profile may not matter. I do see this turning into an addiction once I get off my lazy ass with the trust.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have to worry about my lazy ass...I have a problem with my lazy wallet...if I had the $$$ for the trust, the can, and the stamp I'd be all over it

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have to worry about my lazy ass...I have a problem with my lazy wallet...if I had the $$$ for the trust, the can, and the stamp I'd be all over it
    The reason for my laziness is also because of my very busy wallet. Planned a trip to Chicago, and then I got ran off the road into a street lamp in my brand new truck. So now I got an insurance deductible to pay on top of a trip to pay for. So my disposable income is non existent. Once I get thru this though it's on.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think i might have to be looking into a new XDm then and a .45 can. I love the versatility since I shoot both calibers. When I get the trust setup and start getting further into the process I'll have to make a drive out your way. I'm not sure of anyone in my area that sells them. Outpost Elite has one person licensed for it at their Dothan store. But no one at their Spanish Fort location.

I wouldn't purchase a tooth brush from Outpost Elite. Myself and another well respected GCGF member were treated like crap by a guy who claimed he was the manager of the Spanish Fort branch. Worst experience I've had in any establishment ever. (And I am very hard to upset). My regret is that I had given them a few thousand dollars of business over the last 3 years. I almost always purchase from local vendors despite the higher price and added tax, to support the sporting industry. With the competition of easy and cheaper online purchasing, why bother with customer loyalty with bad attitude players? Fortunately, there are still some great firearms vendors in our local area. Consistently awesome experiences at Kennys Gun Room and Bar None Tactical. Some excellent ones in the Pensacola area as well.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great topic with the increase in popularity. I recently picked up an HK USP45 Tactical. As soon as my hobby account recuperates, I would like to make the suppressor plunge as well.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I shot Gene's 22/45 a couple of weeks ago. It's really neat. After I finish setting up my stuff, I'll do a 308 can to use on my 308 and 556. If they ever come back in stock. Keep up posted of your progress, it's fun to live vicariously.

Top Bottom