• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to get an ar soon and I don't have much experience when it comes to them. I'm looking for a good entry level gun that isn't too expensive. Should I buy a complete gun or would it be better to buy the upper and lower along with everything that goes with it seperate? What brands should I look at and is there much difference between a $500 gun and a $1000 gun? My price range will be around $700.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I built mine because I wanted to understand how it worked. My cost was just under $500 including the second gas block to replace the defective first one. There are plenty of AR's pre-assembled in your price range. Whether you build or buy depends on how much effort you want to put into the matter.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What do you intend to do with it? I won't try to talk you into or out of anything but depending on intended purpose, there may be better options for you.

If it were me.... I'd look into a mil spec a2, because I like iron sites and it's what I know. The m4geries may work better for you due shorter length, and you may want to get a flat top(and have you have the option of irons or optics). If suggest if you build, don't give in to the cheapest parts available(this is not limited to rifles, but to all things). Other people have done leg work on what works and what doesn't, google research can be invaluable. I can't recommend anything past that, I didn't go the ar route. Most of my experience was with colt a2 and fn a4, I haven't read to far and deep into ar builds because, for me, a Russian sks fit every requirement I needed. good luck and hope others offer more help,

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you intend to do with it? I won't try to talk you into or out of anything but depending on intended purpose, there may be better options for you.

If it were me.... I'd look into a mil spec a2, because I like iron sites and it's what I know. The m4geries may work better for you due shorter length, and you may want to get a flat top(and have you have the option of irons or optics). If suggest if you build, don't give in to the cheapest parts available(this is not limited to rifles, but to all things). Other people have done leg work on what works and what doesn't, google research can be invaluable. I can't recommend anything past that, I didn't go the ar route. Most of my experience was with colt a2 and fn a4, I haven't read to far and deep into ar builds because, for me, a Russian sks fit every requirement I needed. good luck and hope others offer more help,

I'm manly looking for a new gun just to shoot at the range. I'm planning on getting a few more guns including an sks and AK when I get the money. I'm working on expanding my collection to cover the basic common guns. I am more familiar with handguns, shotguns, and standard rifles so this is new territory to me.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Palmetto is hard to beat and for the most part their stuff works. If you're military/le there are some solid discounts from the major manufacturers.

If you know your going to bling this thing out, I'd get hands on as many different setups as you can and figure out what you want before you buy anything so you don't end up with a bunch of parts in a box after you've swapped them out.

If you look to tinker, don't get a pinned A2 style gas block/sight. They're a pita to work with and they can be annoying if you decide you want to mount a red dot.

I'd recommend (that's only worth what you're willing to pay for it ) 16", midlength gas system, whatever twist you want on the barrel, flat top upper, magpul furniture. Personally I think that's a good starting point. There are a couple (bushmaster and s&w) that have mid length setups at decent prices

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Frank/Bamafan,

Thanks guys. If I can't beat palmetto prices I'll tell you. (and right now that's pretty hard to do) But I'm always happy to do transfers and talk guns!!

Joebob's has complete uppers for $400 in various calibers and lengths. Hard to beat.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Go to PSA and buy an upper and lower you like and be done w it.

free shipping on upper and rifle kits

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Unless you really want to get into a build, I would suggest as Frank said. I have recommended the same thing to several people, including a cousin and a friend of mine. Both were very happy with the result. In most cases, you can find the upper assembly and lower assembly you want at PSA for a very decent price. With the upper assemblies, some come with the BCG and charging handle, but many do not. They have their PSA Premium M16 type BCG for right at $99.99 and they also have a 7075-T6 charging handle that is around $23. You can even opt for one of the Nickel Boron BCGs for around $120 and sometimes they are on sale for $99.99. If you have any questions or need any assistance, feel free to contact me.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Not to be rude, but I would not even bring up that ammo option to a prospective new AR owner. In fact, I never recommend that option to anyone for a few reasons.

What might those reasons be? If I may ask.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    What might those reasons be? If I may ask.

1. ARs were never designed to operate with steel-cased ammo
    2. Some ARs (depending on the gas system and gas port diameter) can be very finicky with steel-cased ammo because of it being under-powered ammo.
    3. Steel-cased ammo is known to cause a couple issues (stuck casings and inconsistent cycling) in some ARs. I have seen this happen myself.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    1. ARs were never designed to operate with steel-cased ammo
    2. Some ARs (depending on the gas system and gas port diameter) can be very finicky with steel-cased ammo because of it being under-powered ammo.
    3. Steel-cased ammo is known to cause a couple issues (stuck casings and inconsistent cycling) in some ARs. I have seen this happen myself.

But isn't it much cheaper?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Palmetto State has great deals on uppers and rifle kits. You can pick up a rifle kit for $500...Little Jacks Guns is an excellent choice as well.;)
    As far as ammo, well that debate is held on many other threads and forums. I've shot plenty thru my rifles with no issues, just sayin.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It is cheaper, but at what expense? At the prices you can now pay for good brass-cased ammo, you might as well use more dependable and better performing ammo, not to mention ammo that the AR was designed to use.

Black Hills TMK for all my friends!!!

Unless you want to shoot steel cased stuff in your LWRC... which is totally fine too.

Top Bottom