• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just seeming how many answer's I can get on , how many Rds should you put in a 30 Rd AR mag, Why should you not put 30 rds in and only put 29 or 28 rds. There is a very good answer. Let's see who can come with it, Just my 5 cents jj

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Need some more details.

What kind of mags?
    What are you loading them for?
    How long do you expect them to be loaded?
    What are you loading them with?
    What are they going in? (Ar, but that covers a lot of ground)

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just as tennjeep said. If you fully loaded the magazine it makes it harder to seat when the bolt is closed. This can be an issue in high stress situation. It's better to have a fully seated mag then 2 extra rounds.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought it was 29 or however many rounds it took to download until the top round was on the right side? Or maybe the left side? I can't remember.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep 30 rounds in a 30 round mag or 8, 10 or 12 rounds in each mag respectively. A spring under full tension will remain under full tension even after years of use or non use, they must be fully exercised though, no half unload or load as they will Fag out. My GrandPa told me this, just the way I told y'all..

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jeep you spend to much time on the Comp. Yes the best answer is to allow for the mag. to seat easy, but if the mag will allow 30 rds and not be hard to seat, some will allow this, this is why you should always check your mags. after you load them, you can do this by just pressing in on the last rd, and see if you can push it down some, about 3/4 of the rds. diameter you should be alright, then check , by putting in the mag, well and see how hard it goes in, with the bolt closed. Just want to get people thinking just my 5 cents jj

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The correct answer is 29 rounds but there is more then the bolt mag issue A russian mechanized platoon consists of three vehicles. Each can dismount 9 troops, also the platoon leader and his assistant: that makes 29. There's a driver and gunner that stay in each vehicle. When you kill the first 29 with one mag, the vehicles will haul ass and you can swap mags.

According to physics theory, everything in the universe is in a constant state of decay. Just look at cars, boats and ex wives and you will see the proof. From its present form. We may alter any element into a new form but decay continues from what you made to what it will be.
    If all springs are equal they will decay at the same rate. If one is fully compressed it will decay faster due to stress and at some point in time not expand with the same strength (ability to do work) as the unmolested spring. Unrestricted, both may show the same lenght. It is for this same reason that you can not over stretch a weak mag spring and attain new spring preformance. When loading you will feel resistance change from hard to soft to hard as the weaker spring coils compress. Now go back to first paragraph.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me I put 30 rounds in. I have tried both 30 rounds, 28, and 29 and the 30 rounds go in just fine with a closed bolt. Plus I can't stand an odd number nor a full mag. I can't stand when the TV volume is on 29 so it gets bumped up to 30 :heh:. Out of habit anyways I slab the bottom of the mag to make sure it seats. To me if you need to change a mag with a closed bolt more than likely the threat has been netrualized and gives you a little time to switch a mag. If not I don't understand why that person is still no firing. I also have taken some of my PMAGS after months with 30 rounds in an cycle one or two mags when I go to the range and they all run fine. I just say man up when you put a mag in......:becky:

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    USMC trained us back in 1980's to load 28 rds...worried about spring tension failure or so other bull

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I keep 30 rounds in a 30 round mag or 8, 10 or 12 rounds in each mag respectively. A spring under full tension will remain under full tension even after years of use or non use, they must be fully exercised though, no half unload or load as they will Fag out. My GrandPa told me this, just the way I told y'all..

Same here. The only time I do not have 30 rounds in a magazine is if for some strange reason it will only hold 29. That has only happened with a couple magazines I have.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    USMC trained us back in 1980's to load 28 rds...worried about spring tension failure or so other bull

Back in the late 1970s, when I was in the USMC, we loaded 30 rounds. We carried six 30-round magazines that gave us 180 rounds to work with. It made doing the math much easier when having an even 30 rounds in a magazine. By the way, we never had an issue. In most cases, your bolt will be to the rear anyway. It is only when the bolt is in battery that you may experience difficulty seating some magazines that are loaded to capacity, but not all.

Top Bottom