• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anybody watch it last night? If not I'm sure you can catch a re-run before the second episode starts tonight at 8 pm. I like shows that cover American History and so far this looks pretty good. One thing is for sure, it sure was a harsh life outside the big cities back then.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking if we had to do it over again at this stage of the game with the people we have now in 2015, we would be up sh#t creek with no paddle, just my 2 cents worth?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I watched it. It was pretty good and intense at times. Those people had it rough.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My mom who is gone now was raised on Oklahoma farm with 12 bro an sis, dirt farm in the middle of nowhere, don't know how they made it?

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looks like last nites episode will be showed again tonight as well so i set to record them all. Nothing better than history that really matters.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I watched it last night. was curious how much of it was based off fact? In my experience the truth is real boring and I hate true stories. With that said I enjoyed the show.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Stanley I don't think much was boring back in that day and time when Texas was fighting for it's life from being taken over by Mexico. I agree though with you, I wonder how factual it is. Since it's a History channel production I hope what were seeing is mostly factual. Fun to watch regardless!

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I watched it last night and plan to watch again tonight. I read some reviews beforehand that said some artistic license was taken to juice it up (like the history Sam Houston has with that woman) but that overall it is a supposedly "truthy" story in regards to the battles fought and people who lived or died.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If its anything like the one they did on the revolution, there will be more fiction than than fact. I watched a few mins and set record to watch later. Looks pretty good though, even just for the entertainment purpose.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well much to my regret I watched last night, evidently several episodes? Being a Texan and going to school when they really taught Texas History I was not impressed. I have been to the Alamo, Goliad, Victoria all following the battles and San Jacinto. The below is an expert on the matter.

"Texas Rising," the mini series that premiered last night may by good TV, and it may be helping raise money to renovate the Alamo and Alamo Plaza, but experts say it is lousy history, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

"Texas Rising" tells the story of the six weeks between the fall of the Alamo and the Battle of San Jacinto, incluidng the 'Runaway Scrape' and the effort of Sam Houston to rally the Texian troops to make a stand against Santa Anna.

Jesus de a Teja is an Alamo Historian at Texas State University. He says 'Texas Rising' 'trivializes history.

"And I think it’s harmful, because it gives people the wrong impression," he said. "It over simplifies and it misrepresents."

Oversimplifying and misrepresentation is the middle name of Alamo movies and TV shows for decades.

De la Teja says 'Texas Rising' does a uniquely lousy job of 'playing fast and loose with the facts.'

"What we are in danger of doing is trivializing and commercializing history," he said. "It has always been done to some degree, but not the way that it is today."

He says like many previous Alamo and Texas History narratives, 'Texas Rising' plays up the sex and the violence, with explosions which could not have possibly happened with the military technology that was in place in the 1830s.

The problem, De la Teja says, is that this is the version of the Alamo that kids will see, and believe.

"Many of them, unfortunately, are not getting good history in the seventh grade, and they become susceptible to treating Texas history the way Hollywood treats it."

Among the most common myths of the Alamo is the famous Travis 'line in the sand,' which has no contemporary reference, and the entire character of Emily West, about whom almost nothing is known.

Which is amazing, because the real thing is pretty awesome.

Read more: http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-l...xas-rising-is-good-tv-13619708/#ixzz3bMGoMlUs

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well for what it's worth I did some reading on Sam Houston and the battle for Texas and for the most part Texas Rising is following what is written about it. Ok, so they expand on the roll of Emily West, big deal. I've watched the 2 episodes that have been shown so far and from what I can tell they are following the main story line which is how Sam Houston's patience and tactics are what won the battle of Texas. I'm really not worried about trivial details about romances and the such, I just enjoy seeing the basics of what it took for Texas to win against Mexico. There are always going to be critics that try and tear something apart. If they're so damn knowledgeable why don't they write a book and get it put on the big screen.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wonder where was the locations it was shot and filmed at? Don't remember that terrain in those areas of the show, doesn't look like that in the parts of Texas from what I can remember? Anyway they did good back in them days with what they had :rip:, just sad my kinfolks didn't jump on them land grants back then :rip:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well much to my regret I watched last night, evidently several episodes? Being a Texan and going to school when they really taught Texas History I was not impressed. I have been to the Alamo, Goliad, Victoria all following the battles and San Jacinto. The below is an expert on the matter.

"Texas Rising," the mini series that premiered last night may by good TV, and it may be helping raise money to renovate the Alamo and Alamo Plaza, but experts say it is lousy history, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

"Texas Rising" tells the story of the six weeks between the fall of the Alamo and the Battle of San Jacinto, incluidng the 'Runaway Scrape' and the effort of Sam Houston to rally the Texian troops to make a stand against Santa Anna.

Jesus de a Teja is an Alamo Historian at Texas State University. He says 'Texas Rising' 'trivializes history.

"And I think it’s harmful, because it gives people the wrong impression," he said. "It over simplifies and it misrepresents."

Oversimplifying and misrepresentation is the middle name of Alamo movies and TV shows for decades.

De la Teja says 'Texas Rising' does a uniquely lousy job of 'playing fast and loose with the facts.'

"What we are in danger of doing is trivializing and commercializing history," he said. "It has always been done to some degree, but not the way that it is today."

He says like many previous Alamo and Texas History narratives, 'Texas Rising' plays up the sex and the violence, with explosions which could not have possibly happened with the military technology that was in place in the 1830s.

The problem, De la Teja says, is that this is the version of the Alamo that kids will see, and believe.

"Many of them, unfortunately, are not getting good history in the seventh grade, and they become susceptible to treating Texas history the way Hollywood treats it."

Among the most common myths of the Alamo is the famous Travis 'line in the sand,' which has no contemporary reference, and the entire character of Emily West, about whom almost nothing is known.

Which is amazing, because the real thing is pretty awesome.

Read more: http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-l...xas-rising-is-good-tv-13619708/#ixzz3bMGoMlUs

They did the same thing with "Son's of Liberty". The real story is awesome enough, why trivialize it and add to something that doesn't need adding to? Way to much inferring and extra rabbit chasing that meant nothing to the story. It could have been way better.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm from Gonzales the original "come and Take It", so I will have to watch it, I guess. I saw about 10 minutes of the "Sons of Liberty" and was disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I'm certain it don't count for much, but I liked it so far.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom