• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty well defined residue in your picture above where the round outgassed beneath the grip panels and the grip safety. Glad you're ok.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Glad most of the force pushed out the bullet. If not you would have had a 1911 grenade. Sorry to hear that Dan. Hope all is well.

That's another reason I will never shoot someone else's reloads. At least if I screw up, I can only blame myself.

Doc

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Pretty well defined residue in your picture above where the round outgassed beneath the grip panels and the grip safety. Glad you're ok.

Thanks! It's been a couple of weeks since it happened, I just held off posting because I wanted to try and get as many facts straight as I could.

Gas, powder and lead came out the take down pin hole and the take down notch hole. Pretty incredible that the gun handled it IMO.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys, the well wishes are much appreciated. But believe me, I'm good to go, and maybe a bit better as a result of the wisdom gained from the rather painless and inexpensive experience.

bluedsteel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WOW! Good to hear YOU are ok.

Really makes me glad to have that powder check on the 650 if it indeed happened to be a double charge.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just saw this Dan and am glad you are OK. I am with some of the others. Double Charge.Again,Glad you are ok

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks!
    Maybe, no real way to tell. Something to keep in mind when picking up range brass and while loading though.

I doubt its from a tired brass. 45acp is such a low pressure round that the case can be loaded MANY times. usually the case mouth will split before anything else. if you look at the case diagram, the belly part of the .45 acp is quite beefy. only a double charge or pistol fired out of battery (hammer dropped when round not seated all the way in chamber) could cause it. the latter is common in striker fire pistol though.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I doubt its from a tired brass. 45acp is such a low pressure round that the case can be loaded MANY times. usually the case mouth will split before anything else. if you look at the case diagram, the belly part of the .45 acp is quite beefy. only a double charge or pistol fired out of battery (hammer dropped when round not seated all the way in chamber) could cause it. the latter is common in striker fire pistol though.
    Makes sense. I don't know much about the stuff. Thanks.

Hot Iron

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seen this several times before. Usually it is powder load problem, that will do this to the the 1911. Were the stocks metal backed. I assume so since your hand suffered no major damage, Usually this does not ruin the pistol but does as yours did. Sometimes the extractor gets blown. Wood stocks will blow and put bad splinters in your hand. What was the powder? I think that 10 grains of Bullseye would do it. That is one reason I run Unique in my .45 loads. Hard to double charge and not know it. Glad you are OK.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for sharing this experience. I've been getting complacent (ok, cheap) in my ammo selection. I will turn it up a notch after seeing your mishap. Like others said -- glad you are ok.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks for sharing this experience. I've been getting complacent (ok, cheap) in my ammo selection. I will turn it up a notch after seeing your mishap. Like others said -- glad you are ok.
    Thanks. That's exactly why I posted, just to remind everyone to be diligent and stay safe.
    Seen this several times before. Usually it is powder load problem, that will do this to the the 1911. Were the stocks metal backed. I assume so since your hand suffered no major damage, Usually this does not ruin the pistol but does as yours did. Sometimes the extractor gets blown. Wood stocks will blow and put bad splinters in your hand. What was the powder? I think that 10 grains of Bullseye would do it. That is one reason I run Unique in my .45 loads. Hard to double charge and not know it. Glad you are OK.
    Thanks! Grips are G10, I guess that stuff is as tough as they say it is. Don't know about powder.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    never, and I repeat never shoot unknown handloaded or much less any ammo !!:tsk:

yes dan1612, its your fault for doing such..and again for your buddy that gave them to you.

there is a known code of ethics for seasoned handloaders.

if you don't roll your own, then screw it....right !!! (as most think) but when the pressure hits the chamber, then who's at fault.

I bet you and everyone that don't handload here has learned a lesson.

lets be thankful your still able to continue your passion.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I couldn't agree more, gendoc. Thanks.

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is it possible that this piece of brass was formerly fired in a glock, developed the "smile" , was resized and loaded ? I ask because it looks like a partial incipient case head separation in a half moon shape that ruptured...aka a glock smile profile. I NEVER fire anyone else's reloads in my guns...ever ! If I find a round on the range I'll pull it apart, deprime it (after rendering useless), toss the projectile in my melt bucket, and start from scratch. If it has been striker fired I toss it. I have seen a fellow at the local range pick a 9mm up off the ground thinking that it was his and it was not. It was a hirtenberger sub-machine gun round (rated +P+). When fired the slide jammed back, the mag dumped, and the frame and slide cracked on that early Beretta 92F. I can still remember seeing that one lol. Luckily the fellow wasn't seriously hurt. I'm glad that you weren't hurt and it's also a testament to the 1911. Another reason I don't own poly guns lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom