• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A couple of weeks ago, I fired a round out of a batch of a buddy's reloads that I had gotten in a random trade, whose brass didn't have the strength to contain the pressure of ignition, and while it had enough pressure through the barrel to push the 230 grain projectile out, a large portion of the pressure came out the base of the piece of brass in the unsupported part of the chamber. The pressure was enough to cut and damage the two remaining rounds in the magazine, and shoot the magazine out the bottom with such force that it broke the plastic ammo box and the magazine was completely destroyed.
    I came home and completed disassembled and inspected the gun and everything looked to be 100%, but for peace of mind, I sent it back to its maker, where Ron Phillips, one of the best 1911 gunsmiths alive, gave it a through inspection and he agreed with my assessment and gave it a clean bill of health along with a good test fire.
    I believe that if the gun had been of any lesser quality or different material construction, it would've been much worse. Fortunately, it was not, lesson learned.
    As for me, I'm fine, the lead and powder came out of my face a few days later, but there is still a bit of stuff in my left hand. Gunpowder and lead are part of who I am, but now that's true in a literal sense. Lol.
    Be safe and be careful.
    1b222c918049b2cb899b1187b6822fed.jpg

8b34c19340c4b8f3c34b9ae26408975c.jpg

692cbed3039916acbc15cabee4deab4c.jpg

114fa513ed8b135df705c69615502ac6.jpg

2440de8b99c271c6e89c301e5c2cf611.jpg

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks!
    I am glad I had eye protection. Since my whole face got peppered. Funny thing is that none of the three other people at the range noticed. Lol.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Man that blows. Glad you are came out of that unscratched with all fingers accounted for. It is odd that it caused bullet setback on the remaining rounds.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys, the bullet setback was the second and last round down in the mag. I think it was just from the pressure. Pretty amazing if you think about the physics going on.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad you are ok. I would not trust that 1911 again. Too many bad memories. Bring it to the IDPA match on Sunday and I will get rid of it for you.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys, I'm just glad the gun's ok. I think I'm done with reloads in general. I'm hesitant to even buy Georgia Arms now. Lol.
    John, thank you for the kind offer, but I'll be keeping this one. It's got kind of a cool story now.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn! Glad your OK.

I'm with Jeb. The firearm needs proper disposal. I can run over and pick it up so you don't have to drag it with you Sunday.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'll probably shoot the rail gun Sunday, see if the extra weight up front can help me keep up with the peashooter. Fwiw, this is my left hand now. Still got a little powder and lead in it, but hey, it makes me who I am.
    fb060311c74894543e58eb97e9cfe5c5.jpg

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad you're ok.

When I reloaded a lot, I use to weight the 45 individually to see if any of them is off. I would never let someone else shoot them in their guns. Only use them for my guns. I've been lucky and not had a single problem.

I've only had one case separation. It was with a Winchester 30-06 manufactured ammo. I don't buy Winchester anymore.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks guys, I'm just glad the gun's ok. I think I'm done with reloads in general. I'm hesitant to even buy Georgia Arms now. Lol.
    John, thank you for the kind offer, but I'll be keeping this one. It's got kind of a cool story now.

not sure about Georgia Arms. but Atlanta Arms is very popular ammo (reloads) in the shooting sports. they supply ammo to top shooters and I haven't heard anything bad about their ammo.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Factory reloaders like Georgia Arms and Atlanta Arms have great reps for safety.
    Oh, I believe it. I'm just temporarily mind blocked. At the moment, I'd rather shoot factory aluminum or steel case for less or the same pesos as anyone's reloads.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The buddy would be off my Christmas list for sure. Glad you are ok, certainly a lesson learned. I have seen reports of kabooms like this w Glocks and several other brands and typically the gun is fine, run a google search, this happens more than any of us would like especially with reloads done at home..pretty scary. Buddy better be glad you are OK.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It's not on my buddy at all. I had seen him pick up brass at the range, and clearly knew they were reloads, so accepting the risk, I loaded them and pulled the trigger. Again, lesson learned. However, anyone feel free to disagree but having a gun made from 100% milled tool steel parts helped protect not only me, but the integrity of the gun itself.
    Not to mention their customer service, they shipped it there, inspected it, test fired it and shipped it back with 2 free magazines, all on their dime.
    So I bought 3 more guns.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks Frank! He feels terrible, but to me, it's on me because I knew the risk. He did buy me a new mag, which I really appreciate. So all is good, I just wanted to post this as a reminder to the reloaders on the forum that sh!t happens, and to be selective when picking up brass and careful when they're loading. That's all.

Hey! When are you gonna come shoot idpa with us anyway?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom