HD Tactical

If you had $1,000 to spend on a AR...............

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes, I have heard that they are in trouble and that's why prices are down right now. Aren't all parts interchangable anyway (just in case they go under) ?
    I guess maybe what I should have said is "I'm pretty well set on the Colt 6920 Magpul edition in black or FDE. Anybody know any reason not to buy it ?"
    I have heard good things about the Daniel Defense though.

The prices on the 6920s are real low (below dealer by a lot). If given the choice, I like the midlength and I like the 1/8 twist(both on the smith). I've done transfers for several 6920s and I've just not been impressed with them. They aren't bad but there's the "Cult of Colt" for some reason and I don't feel like they've done much of anything great lately. I do like that their selling their OEM rifles without furniture but that's more marketing than anything to do with the hardware.

Yes, it's all interchangeable. DD is nice but it's not going to be below $1k unless you fine a USED one.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to take away any business from local dealers..especially the great guys on this forum..but slickguns is probably my most visited website
    uploadfromtaptalk1430334488757.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430334488757.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1430334488757.jpg
      159.7 KB · Views: 142

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll transfer that..... for $150.... out the door.

Edit: Seriously though. PM me if you go through "firearms for sale". I'll split some shipping with you. I'm a cheap bastard and they have a ruger takedown I want.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That's a pretty good price. I keep an eye on Slickguns too.
    My biggest problem is I remember when Grabagun had them for $849 so I keep waiting.
    Nate, have you ever used "Firearms for Sale" before ?
    I've mostly ordered from Grabagun and PSA.
    One other question - Does the lower have the SN on it or is that the upper ?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's a pretty good price. I keep an eye on Slickguns too.
    My biggest problem is I remember when Grabagun had them for $849 so I keep waiting.
    Nate, have you ever used "Firearms for Sale" before ?
    I've mostly ordered from Grabagun and PSA.
    One other question - Does the lower have the SN on it or is that the upper ?

The lower receiver is the only serialized part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If I had $1000 to spend on a factory AR, I'd save up another $100 or $200 and buy Daniel Defense. Yes, I have a Daniel Defense AR. Yes, I have 2 other Daniel Defense uppers.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is all subjective but the DD just looks like a great rifle! Fit and finish is excellent and I've not heard anyone ever have a problem with one. Quality components put together well. I've not been a huge fan of their 14" quad rail handguards bit they've got a keymod version that looks pretty slick.

They've not been pulling a Colt and resting on their laurels for the past decade hoping that government contract keeps the lights on

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know this really great guy guy that's selling his mid length S&W M&P15 MOE in FDE for $900. Brand spanking new, only cut the tape for pics, still has the wrapper on the forearm. No paper work, no taxes, no transfer fee, no shipping. :becky::thumb::usa2:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If I had $1000 to spend on a factory AR, I'd save up another $100 or $200 and buy Daniel Defense. Yes, I have a Daniel Defense AR. Yes, I have 2 other Daniel Defense uppers.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The gently used gen 1 furniture guns are going for 11-12 on GunBroker. You could always upgrade the furniture later on, but even then, you won't get a better rifle until you hit $2k. Basic LMT and BCM can be found for $1k, but the DDs are so much prettier.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What are mid-length guns, 20" barrels ?

Mid-length refers to the gas system. The 4 major types are (from shortest to longest): pistol, carbine, mid, and rifle. As a general rule, the longer the gas system, the softer the recoil impulse and the smoother the rifle will shoot. Typically, mid-length gas systems are found on 14.5"-18" barrels.

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Crazydoc Iyo spending money on BlackRain Ordinance and those high dollar manufactures are you just paying for the name? Ive been reading alot how good those Psa & Anderson lowers are im new to the Ar scene.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Crazydoc Iyo spending money on BlackRain Ordinance and those high dollar manufactures are you just paying for the name? Ive been reading alot how good those Psa & Anderson lowers are im new to the Ar scene.
    The lower is really quite irrelevant, as long as it's a quality metal and within spec. People have made them out of plywood, and they work just fine. Even Frank's plastic ones work, but most have enough common sense to skip plastic for an HD gun. Gas system installation, quality of bcg and proper dimensions in the upper and barrel are what really counts.
    On a high end AR, you're paying for features, aesthetics, high quality materials, and consistency in assembly. The latter two of which have a direct impact on reliability.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The lower is very important as your trigger in there, the optics, trigger and barrel are the most important things in your build as long as the rest is spec. You certainly don't need a name brand high and normally over priced gun as long and the key components are good to go. Not sure if 556 is the same as a 6.8 but I can buy a spec 6.8 upper for $525 or a great quality build for $800..The lower can be a NFA $125 or a great quality and a custom trigger for $500 or so....for a plinker and HD gun a 556 can be had for $499 that will do the job quite well...you just go up from there depending on what you want and want to accomplish.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell I'm thinking of selling my rifle. I'll shoot you some info.

Top Bottom