• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is a pic of the hog that I got this AM at about 0200. Boar hog that weighed in at 277lbs on a balance beam type of scale.

Was watching a last years peanut field from sunset and was about ready to give it up. Watched deer,as many as 10 at one time,and a 1/3rd grown coyote,feed around and around the field for a couple of hours. Neither bothering the others. The yote and the deer came within 20yds of each other on several occasions.

Finally from across the field(probably 350yds)I noticed thermal targets entering the field. When just a few entered I figured it was deer. I managed to get my fat ass out of the chair where I had been gettin' stiff for the last several hours,and stand up,put my gun on the bi-pod,and take a "serious" look. By then there were 10-12 targets ..... waaaaay to many for deer. I kept watching as more and more heat signatures entered the field. Too many for deer and if coyotes ....... well shit ..... we REALLY got a problem.

Grabbed my bi-pod, pulled up my face vail,put on my black gloves,and started out. Every 20yds or so brought the thermal up and took a look to make sure that I was headed in the right direction. As I got closer I easily counted 23,with probably another 5 or so blocked by other hogs. This is what is technically referred to as a "WAD of hogs" (Yeah,made that up myself) The night was black with the moon set and most stars blocked by the somewhat overcast sky. The wad started to split in half so I focused on the trailing group. I had to approach them at an angle so as to keep the wind in my favor and not spook the front group of about 10-15 hogs.

Between these two groups that were lead by the dominant sow,were 4 good sized boar and 15 or so shoats. No piglets. I tried to target the biggest boar in the second group but there were 4 this same size. One ..... possibly bigger.

I finally worked my way to within 40yds of them and set up for the shot. The groups were kickin' ass on last years peanut crop that was about 4 inches under the surface,and well fermented. The hogs were moving right through like a Troy Built roto tiller.

Finally the hog that I was after stopped and I sent a 120gr Hornady SST on an "errand". The bullet struck the hog low on the shoulder and he went down immediately,did the "kickin' chicken" for 30 seconds or so and was still. I could see a fire hose of blood flying as he kicked. It was all coming out of his mouth. Lung blood,and I suspect the heart was a goner also.

Called a buddy that has been wanting a hog,and donated him to a large,rather needy family. Great hunt. DAEZEE saw a hog also but couldn't get on him before he left the field. --- SAWMAN
    EDIT TO ADD: Some hogs can walk on water. This pic proves it.

Attachments

• 220px-Wappen_Eberbach_Baden.png
      220px-Wappen_Eberbach_Baden.png
      5.2 KB · Views: 122
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    1429802762055-vz.jpg

No way could we lift him. Fortunately my house is just 3 miles away. Went there and got my trailer so we could slowly drag him onto it. Winched him up so Sawman could back his pickup under the hog, and we lowered it into the pickup.

I saw a 150-180 pound boar alone in the field I was watching. Stalked close enough to shoot, but he heard or smelled me and decided to leave. Not spooked, but concerned, he walked off the field directly away. A rear end shot is not how we hunt; he'll be back.

Attachments

• 1429802762055-vz.jpg
      1429802762055-vz.jpg
      238.9 KB · Views: 143

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    imagejpeg_0.jpg In bed of full size pickup. The hog's head is rather large. Why couldn't Sawman pick a "medium" sized one?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 147

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks much Denny ...... we gotta get together. If nothing else will GIVE you some fishing stuff that I don't use anymore.

This hog was almost the total length of my full sized Tundra's bed --> and tailgate. Hanging he was about 7ft. He had a super thick shield and had been rubbing pine tar. He had scars from being cut on both shoulders and down his back. (You can see these in the pics.) Both his cutters had been worn away from fighting but were super thick(and not long).

Feed back from the guy that I gave him to. Bullet went in low on the shield. Mushed both lungs and took the bottom of the heart. It did not exit. Bullet fragged. He found "small parts" of the jacket ... that's it. Personally I consider this bullet a varmint bullet ... BUT ... they penetrate and they kill --> nuff said. --- SAWMAN
    Edit To Add: this was the same bullet that I killed the 268 pounder with a couple months ago. That hog ran a short distance ... then ... fell dead.

Last edited:

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good job fellas and great shot. I wanted to go but this damn thing called work is getting in the way of my hobbies. It seem between the north and south fields there is a lot bacon to be had.

Top Bottom