• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up a mini thirty and want to scope it.
    My eyes are bad, and need assistance in 100-150 yard shots.

The rifle seems to be a good one. No issues blowing through crappy Russian ammo and at 25 yards with the naked eye (yeah, my eyes are BAD) I could fit em all inside a golf ball.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm wanting to use the thirty for hogs and deer, and figure the longest shot id probably take would be 150 yds.

I'm not optics knowledgable at all, so any suggestion (save smartass ones) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      524.9 KB · Views: 163
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      545.8 KB · Views: 164
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO ---> a 2-7X33 would be perfect. This,with a "normal" duplex crosshair. Nothing complecated.

Check out the Zeiss Terra,Leupold,Redfield,Nikon. These are all worth the money. Take a pass on the $49. NcStar's or you'll be cryin'. This gun,with a good quality scope,MOUNTED RIGHT,will do everything needed for the targets mentioned at the ranges mentioned. Remember,the 7.62X39 is essentially a semi-auto 30-30Win. Sooooooooooo ............. --- SAWMAN

FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny. I was hoping you'd be the guy to chime in on this thread. I appreciate you sharing the info.

I agree- cheap ain't quality, and quality ain't cheap. What about rings? I read that you're not fond of the ruger brand.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have used Ruger rings for some time now. The integral scope base/mount thing is a great idea ... however ... it seems to be rather tough to ---A. get the molded in/milled in little mounts --- properly aligned and .... B. they all seem to be a little different as to how much torque should be applied. Some by as much as one full turn. This tells me that the small half moon notches are not consistent from ring to ring. I have measured some of the bases and they are visibly(to a micrometer)different.

Add to this,some of their guns take two different sized(heights)rings. Yep .... the same gun. Put these on backwards and torque down a scope and see what happens. During the truing and lapping process of scope rings,before scope installation,the Ruger rings are the worse by a long shot. This tells me that if you install a scope on Ruger bases,using Ruger rings with out checking them,your scope is unduly torqued. The best sets of rings are the older Dead Nuts,now DNZ rings/bases. They cost,but are worth it. I'm not sure if they make them for the Ruger integral bases. My guess .... probably not,they simply don't want to get involved in the Ruger ring thing. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just stuck a Trijicon red dot on my 7.62x39 AR upper. I do not have much confidence in the 7.62x39 as a tack driver round itself. The new AR should be interesting with 150s and H-322.

Oh, on the Ruger, they are assembled by Ruger from parts supplied by the lowest bidder, parts jobbers with very open specification tolerances.
    Ed

Chaddd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Find a zeiss conquest, never looked through the terra but have not many good things about them. Have a conquest, they can't be beat for the money

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Conquest ... vs ... Terra ---> I have two of the Terra line of Zeiss scopes. Where they are made and glass used is irrelivent to me. They are clear and bright. They track perfectly. They are absolutely repeatable. They are (the usual)fogproof,waterproof,etc,etc.

For the price,and I am all about gettin' what you pay for,they are an excellent value. The other options would be a Leupold in either the 1-4X24 size or the 2-7X33 size. I would pick the latter.

Bottom line ....... pick the absolute best scope that you can afford.

And ---> the 7.62X39 chambering can be super accurate. I have two friends that have them in bolt guns and they will shoot about 1/2MOA. The weak link in the chambering is the platform(gun)used to shoot them in. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really do not consider .5 inches with a 30 cal bolt gun, a tack driver or super accurate. All American production 7.62x39 guns have .308 barrels. As a matter of actual fact, .5 inches is my base line for a .308 cal build. What I mean by base line is if one of my builds will not shoot .5 inches consistantly, I tear it down and start again.
    Ed

Chaddd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you build custom bolt guns?

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, I have been building competition guns since about 65. Right now I am building a shop north of Laurel Hill. Now llooking for a used gear head lathe in good shape.
    Ed

Luv2Hunt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have learned a few hard lessons on cheaper scopes. The best lessons learned were that if I stick with Leupold I am best off. Greatest warranty I have ever heard of. Before I got into Leupold scopes, I was always the first one back to camp and saw far less deer than everyone. Once I moved up to leupold, I saw deer through the scope that I could not see with the naked eye. I just put a Leupold fixed power FX3 with a 42mm bell on a Marlin lever .357 and am extremely happy with it!!

Top Bottom