• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of my favorite shows and hate to see it end but man what a great finale. Didn't go exactly how I thought it would but that's a good thing. Instead of the final showdown between Boyd and Raylan they end with a somewhat unspoken token of mutual respect for one another and the great line of "well we dug coal together". In the first season after Raylan shoots Boyd, Ava ask him why he said he was sorry after shooting him and his response was: "we dug coal together". Thought it was kind of cool how they came full circle back to that after all they had been through as adversaries.

As Raylan was driving Ava in and the ominous music "you will never leave Harlan alive" played with Boon running them down I thought this may actually be the guy that finally get's the best of Raylan. Ava and Loretta sheepishly ducking down as the two showed it down was such classic old western gun fight I had to chuckle. Raylan survives but finally met some one as fast as him but he took the safe shot center mass while Boon went for the low percentage head shot. His hat is no more but Raylan lives on. Evidently that was an ode to the since passed writer Elmer Leonard. He said Timothy Olympant played the role and delivered lines exactly as he had imagined the character he created but Leonard never liked the Steston hat. The one Raylan takes off of Boon to replace his shot up Steston is more of the type Leonard had always envisioned his character wearing. I was wondering why all the banter about hats between the two all season but that put it all into context.

Going into it I wasn't sure how they could tie the whole thing up in an hour but they did and the last 20 minutes was done perfectly. Other long running series could learn from how well they ended this one. Kind of funny ole Duffy somehow survived and is surfing in Fiji with 9 million dollars as well. Redemption for all the beatdowns and horrible situations Raylan put him in over the years!

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm thinking Eva had to get some of that 9 mil?? She moved to cali and bought a house? I thought her and Raylan were going to get together after I saw his wife had left him.
    I just have always wondered why they all talked in the strange cop like way, seeing hillbillys talk poetically was kind of funny.

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boyd certainly had a way with words for a backcountry hillbilly! Saw an interview with the actor talking about how sad he was to put Boyd to rest. Said he may have to button up his top button, breakout the accent, and resurrect Boyd just to irritate his wife from time to time......ha ha. The original script had his character dying in season one but he brought so much to the role they kept him alive and central to the plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choppa6

40 Watt Phased Plasma Rifle
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I loved the show, and am sad to see it go. But it was an ending that made it easier to deal with. Maybe there will be a one off or a 2 hr show sometime. Great show. Great ending.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I watched it from Day 1, good show. But I'm still not clear on how Eva got away after taking the car (handcuffed). I know Raylan went through the three possible scenarios... so it was Duffy who smuggled her out? Or was that just a theory.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Duffy got her out in exchange for where the $9M was buried which he used to get to Fiji. The million Ava had - Avery took back in the barn and ended up with the Feds. Ava didn't buy the ranch she was living in the caretakers house. I watched SOA and seeing Boyd Crowder playing Venus - well he was never the same Boyd again.....lol

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Know what you mean about Boyd playing Venus in SOA. Watching some of those scenes between him and Tig I figured it must have taken them several takes to get through them without cracking up.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of my favorite shows and hate to see it end but man what a great finale. Didn't go exactly how I thought it would but that's a good thing. Instead of the final showdown between Boyd and Raylan they end with a somewhat unspoken token of mutual respect for one another and the great line of "well we dug coal together". In the first season after Raylan shoots Boyd, Ava ask him why he said he was sorry after shooting him and his response was: "we dug coal together". Thought it was kind of cool how they came full circle back to that after all they had been through as adversaries.

As Raylan was driving Ava in and the ominous music "you will never leave Harlan alive" played with Boon running them down I thought this may actually be the guy that finally get's the best of Raylan. Ava and Loretta sheepishly ducking down as the two showed it down was such classic old western gun fight I had to chuckle. Raylan survives but finally met some one as fast as him but he took the safe shot center mass while Boon went for the low percentage head shot. His hat is no more but Raylan lives on. Evidently that was an ode to the since passed writer Elmer Leonard. He said Timothy Olympant played the role and delivered lines exactly as he had imagined the character he created but Leonard never liked the Steston hat. The one Raylan takes off of Boon to replace his shot up Steston is more of the type Leonard had always envisioned his character wearing. I was wondering why all the banter about hats between the two all season but that put it all into context.

Going into it I wasn't sure how they could tie the whole thing up in an hour but they did and the last 20 minutes was done perfectly. Other long running series could learn from how well they ended this one. Kind of funny ole Duffy somehow survived and is surfing in Fiji with 9 million dollars as well. Redemption for all the beatdowns and horrible situations Raylan put him in over the years!

Great Ending I thought as well. Hate to see it go but there are some good shows coming out soon to take it's place on the DVR.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't get to see all of the shows and never saw Raylans handiness with his draw, but I don't think he could have beat Boon , it was just a unlucky miss due to over confidence I believe.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah - I think Raylan was surprised he was alive as well, although he was pretty fast as well.
    I got a kick out of the KSP officer, he pretty much gave Raylan a dose of his own medicine - "I asked you once not to sit forward, I won't ask again. Next time you'll finish the ride out in the trunk. You understand me?"
    Using his own tactic against him ... classic.

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah - I think Raylan was surprised he was alive as well, although he was pretty fast as well.
    I got a kick out of the KSP officer, he pretty much gave Raylan a dose of his own medicine - "I asked you once not to sit forward, I won't ask again. Next time you'll finish the ride out in the trunk. You understand me?"
    Using his own tactic against him ... classic.

Yea that scene had my wife and I laughing. It was like a young replica of himself. You could see Raylan's look like this this guy is a real asshole and then it dawns on him he is basically looking in a mirror. I think it sort of played into the narrative of Raylan growing and becoming somewhat more humble. Not a lot obviously, he is who he is, but just a little. Getting a dose of his own medicine and knowing it's was 50/50 odds at best with Boon and he just got lucky. Early in the season Art was sort of giving him fatherly advise and asked him had it ever occurred to him that he might just lose or run out of luck one day.

I'm thinking the showdown with Boon along with his daughter probably has him acting a little more cautiously into the future. Be interesting to see if they ever bring a mini-series or something back since they left it with everyone breathing.

Top Bottom