• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m thinking about building a 308 AR. I've built several 5.56 rifles but I don’t know much about 308 parts as far as who makes quality parts at a good price. My intent is to deer/hog hunt and also to shoot at the range with decent accuracy out to 500y so I’m thinking an 18” barrel will be a good start. Something around 1-1.5MOA will be OK since my eyes aren't that good. I’d like to keep the build around $1.5k to $1.8k. I only make it to the range about 5 times a year and hunt once or twice per season so I don’t want anything too high end.

Here are the parts I looked at so far along with open questions:

Aeroprecision M5 upper and lower receiver - I read good reviews on these so far and they're not too expensive compared to others. Any experience with these?

Aimsurplus NiB 308 BCG - well priced, my 5.56 one works very well, any experience with the 308 bcg?

MEGA 18” barrel or similar quality - open to recommendations

Gas block? – I read that adjustable blocks are good to have for a 308 build so I’m all ears if anyone has a recommendation.

LPK/Trigger – open to recommendations. Can I use my RRA 2-stage trigger from my 5.56 for this build?

Buffer tube/buffer/spring – haven’t selected these yet, open to suggestions

Stock – something under $100 - MAGPUL CTR, STR, ACS

Handguard - probably 15" if I go with an 18" barrel. Something reasonably priced like an MI handguard

Grip - haven't selected

Muzzle device - haven't selected

Optic - I already have a Bushnell Elite 6500 with Burris Tactical rings but I may get a quick release mount. Not important at the moment though.

Thanks for the help!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not really experienced in the direct buildup of any but 6.8 or 223/5.56 but --> Couple of suggestions/thoughts.

1. For the "wants" stated above you will most likely not have to get close to the $1800. mentioned.
    2. The deer/hog thing is covered by almost any gun of even reasonable accuracy.
    3. It is not a "hard rule" that you have a 18" bbl to shoot 500yds. Remembering that bbl length has little to do with accuracy. Quality of bbl,crown at muzzle,and twist rate does. (Among other things) I would highly recommend a 1:10 twist rate bbl. Remember,for hunting,the rotational velocity added into the bullets terminal ballistics is(IMO)extremely important. And if you plan to reload for this gun you will have to load to mag length. For the distance mentioned,and especially for hunting purposes (there again) OMO there is no need to shoot a bullet >168grs.
    4. Would also recommend a set of rings without a quick release mount. Give the Burris Extreme Tactical a look. You will most likely meed the 1.00" ones for the proper eye relief.
    5. IMO you will not need an adjustable gas block unless you will be shooting some weird assed load or bullet weight that you will need a weird assed powder. You will however probably need a low gas block depending on the forearm you select. It will have to be a free floater type for accuracy.
    6. For the 500yd thing,as much power as possible. At least 16X ... 20X would be better. Hunting ...? ... 2-7X or 3-9X for here in Fla.
    7. Grip --> bigger and fatter the better. Slip on some rings of bicycle inner tube to gain more contour and grip. I do this to ALL my AR's and Glocks.
    8. Muzzle device --> do your homework on this one. DON'T buy for the looks alone. You will most likely get a muzzle device that is only "kewl". Remember,generally a brake is closed at the end with a exit hole usually .040" over the bullets diameter.

Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes. --- SAWMAN

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aeroprecision M5 upper and lower receiver - I read good reviews on these so far and they're not too expensive compared to others. Any experience with these?
    The make good stuff. They also make OEM receivers for a lot of other companies. If you paid extra to have a Spikes spider on the side of your lower you purchased an Aero.

Aimsurplus NiB 308 BCG - well priced, my 5.56 one works very well, any experience with the 308 bcg?
    Never used their stuff but they have a good reputation so I would think they would be GTG.

MEGA 18” barrel or similar quality - open to recommendations
    Never used their barrels but they too have a good reputation and they offer a 1moa guarantee. Personally I would opt for the 20" barrel with the rifle length gas system over the 18" barrel with the mid length gas system.

Gas block? – I read that adjustable blocks are good to have for a 308 build so I’m all ears if anyone has a recommendation.
    Like Sawman said, unless you are going to be shooting reduced power, subsonic, etc... an adjustable gas block shouldn't be needed but it's not going to hurt to have one.

LPK/Trigger – open to recommendations. Can I use my RRA 2-stage trigger from my 5.56 for this build?
    There are a few triggers that will fit both but as a general rule you will need a different trigger due to needing a taller hammer.

Buffer tube/buffer/spring – haven’t selected these yet, open to suggestions
    Personally I would just gt a standard "milspec" type of tube. No reason to get some super duper thing here. It's just a tube with a spring in it.

Stock – something under $100 - MAGPUL CTR, STR, ACS
    I have a Mako butt stock and really like it.
    http://www.themakogroup.com/stocks-stock-accessories/ar15-m4-m16.html

Handguard - probably 15" if I go with an 18" barrel. Something reasonably priced like an MI handguard
    My next handguard is going to be an Apex "gator grip".

Grip - haven't selected
    I got mine off Ebay. Very comfortable grip.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-56-Ergono...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad6703f96

Muzzle device - haven't selected
    If you want something for recoil reduction the precision armament, JP enterprises are hard to beat. You can find knock off brakes of similar styles on Ebay and Amazon. I'm probably gonna order one of these to put on my blackout.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-308-308...996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2bff81d4

Optic - I already have a Bushnell Elite 6500 with Burris Tactical rings but I may get a quick release mount. Not important at the moment though.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about the QD but the Burris PEPR mounts are great. I'm using them on one of my AR's and Warne's on my other.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you look at Palmetto State Armory and their PA 10 products? I have not used their AR 10 stuff but their AR 15s are good to go.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, I just went down this road also. Here's the breakdown:
    PSA stripped lower 308 94.00
    PSA 20" SOCOM upper 1/10 twist 429.00 weekend special
    Magpul MOE fixed stock 66.00 (PSA)
    Rifle buffer extension 18.00 (primary Arms)
    Rifle buffer 24.00 (primary Arms)
    Rifle spring 18.00 (primary Arms)
    LPK 45.00 minus grip(PSA
    Will be replacing handguard w/ free float after I see how it shoots with just handguards.
    I am buying Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS FFP scope (279.00)
    Already have PEPR mount

So all added up it cost me: 973.00
    Will also probably get a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod also down the road.

Doc

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I saw that, but wanted some upgrades. So it was more economical to just buy the separate parts. But that is a great deal. Only minus is its a 16" barrel.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the .308 AR builds I would make sure everything is DPMS parts compatible as that pattern is going to be the easiest to find parts and accessories to build with.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I just went down this road also. Here's the breakdown:
    PSA stripped lower 308 94.00
    PSA 20" SOCOM upper 1/10 twist 429.00 weekend special
    Magpul MOE fixed stock 66.00 (PSA)
    Rifle buffer extension 18.00 (primary Arms)
    Rifle buffer 24.00 (primary Arms)
    Rifle spring 18.00 (primary Arms)
    LPK 45.00 minus grip(PSA
    Will be replacing handguard w/ free float after I see how it shoots with just handguards.
    I am buying Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS FFP scope (279.00)
    Already have PEPR mount

So all added up it cost me: 973.00
    Will also probably get a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod also down the road.

Doc

Sounds like a sweet build. I saw you're selling your 5.56 stuff. I'm in the process of doing the same but haven't posted my rifle/acog yet.
    This is going to be a slow build for me. At the moment I have (on the way) an Aero Precision upper and lower stripped. I'll likely go with an Aero LPK but I have much more research to determine a barrel/bolt combo. I'll likely keep my bolt 308 for longer range and keep this build on the lighter end. For me, the 20" barrel is a no-go but I'm not sure between the a 16 or 18". Thanks for the info. Everyone has been very helpful.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sounds like a sweet build. I saw you're selling your 5.56 stuff. I'm in the process of doing the same but haven't posted my rifle/acog yet.
    This is going to be a slow build for me. At the moment I have (on the way) an Aero Precision upper and lower stripped. I'll likely go with an Aero LPK but I have much more research to determine a barrel/bolt combo. I'll likely keep my bolt 308 for longer range and keep this build on the lighter end. For me, the 20" barrel is a no-go but I'm not sure between the a 16 or 18". Thanks for the info. Everyone has been very helpful.

Aero Precision=PSA

Both made by same company just a different finish. True story. Ill find it later and post it up. You will only lose roughly 25FPS for every inch less of barrel.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    +1 for BB's post #15. And ----> that $720. PSA gun would NOT be for me. That is a gun about as generic and "stripped" as you can get. By the time I changed this and that I would be into it for about $1400.

Buy and assemble your own,to YOUR likeing,or re-read post #15. I bought a Bushmaster and THEN put another $400 into it not including optics and mount. Can't re-sell it and cash out ... but hey ... it's mine. --- SAWMAN

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I read Aero makes a bunch of stuff for many companies. That's one reason I feel confident with it. Lots of decisions to make. Need to sell stuff first lol.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be careful with the MEGA stuff. Most of it is proprietary and only works on Mega specific uppers/lowers etc. i know a few guys that made that mistake when buying parts.

Can you elaborate on the MEGA incompatibility? The specs on the MEGA barrels I'm looking at state a DPMS style barrel extension. Doesn't that mean it's supposed to work with any DPMS spec upper rec?

Top Bottom