• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm working with H335 powder. Looking at the hodgdens page looking at a start of 22.0gr and max loading of 24.0 gr. with a max pressure of 49,500 and 2960fps. Anyone out there with some pet loads I can try out in my rifle. I'm using a AR platform. I can't load longer than mag length of course, but I know sometimes shorter loading work better. Any info can help. BTW, this loading is for a 69gr SMK , so I think it's safe to say I could possibly load hotter if the need arises.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Doc, loading the bigger bullets in a 223/5.56 you have to be careful about loading density. To maintain the 95% or so that I like(and IMO is more efficient) you will need to take under consideration the OAL of THE BULLET. To me H335 just does not seem like the "right" powder to use. You surely can,and the 24.0 - 26.0 grs is what Hodgdon reccomends.

However if you have some Varget,BLC2,or especially 748,those would seem beter suited to the 69gr bullets. They would most likely give you another 100-150fps in velocity also.

Hopefully you will be using a 1:7 or 1:8 twist bbl also. (IMO the 1:7 would be mo bedda) --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was actually looking for some of those, but wasn't going to pay highway robbery prices. Was hoping we could get one of these combined orders together, but doesn't look like that's happeneing right now. I also have a bunch of 55gr laying around too. So ill probably load those up with the 335 and just wait on the 68gr bullets.

Thanks for the insight! I do however have a 1/7 twist. So I got that going for me!

Doc

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Great + in having a 1:7 bbl. I have been a huge advocate of the faster twist bbl for some time now. Kinda like with a 308Win. Why have a 1:12 when (IMO) a 1:10 could/would do so much more.

I know that you are a long way away but ...... if you could ever get over this way I would surely give you 10 rds worth of BLC2,748,and several other applicable powders for you to try so that you would not have to buy each just to try. This is why I have about 30 different powders sitting on the shelves right now.

BTW ...... how long is the bbl of that gun and how is it gassed ??

Also ...... I have loaded up to 53,000 psi using a 5.56X45 chambered gun. --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. I know it's not going to be the most accurate. Just looking to shoot as accurately as I can with what I have.

Doc

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Your choice doc ... however ... if you would consider dropping down to a 55gr bullet you will have tons of choices in bullets(even the mil pulls)and powders galore. --- SAWMAN

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    odd detail about powders, no problem getting varget and tight group ( my go to rifle and pistol powders) up north. Family coming to visit. had my brother pick up a "care package" for me 4lb varget and 2 lb tight group @ 18.95 a lb. Your lucky to find it local @ $30 plus a pound. 1400 rd rem hollow point 22 long rifle @ $63.99 a tub. (I actually got luck and scored a tub at my local wally world last month.) He said there was probable 40 tubs in stock. He needs 9mm and .17 hmr to take back ( can`t find any at home). Like I said odd.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doc.
    Checked last night. I have about 35 69 grain boat tails loaded up with varget. Left over from some testing.if you get to Pensacola give me a shout. We can send some lead down range.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you can find it, ramshot tac gave me .6/.7" groups at 100 with a modest charge. This was with the mentioned 68 gr hornady bthp. Rifle was a heavy barrel stainless 16" with 1/9". I looked but can't find exact charge. Good luck.

bluedsteel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second Ramshot Tac. It is great powder in an AR, I have used it for highpower competition with Hornady 75s and currently Nosler 77s with great results.

Target pictured was a practice shot at 200 yards with a NM AR15, using the highpower prone position with sling and iron sights, single load so the sight alignment was broken and regained for every shot. The two 9s is sight alignment a little off and the under the Xshots would be me not finding the perfect center mass with the post.

Point is with TAC, I am sure all could have been in the X had I used an optical sight to make sure I was dead center on the target. X is 1.75" on this target (600 yards reduced for 200). Plus it meters like water.

_DSC0086.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0086.jpg
      _DSC0086.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom