Some insight to how some of this works....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So why do companies introduce models and not make enough for the demand? Examples include Ruger predator American in .308 and Ruger Ranch American in .300 Blackout.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That is the nature of new product introduction into the market place. The supply and demand curve needs to start off at some place and manufactures usually start off low for new product intro because of the cost to retool existing manufacturing processes and the unknown market acceptance. Over time you should see changes in price and product availability...really depends on market demand and time.

Sorry...didn't hit the Reply with quote....it was to answer Daezee's comment.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That is the nature of new product introduction into the market place. The supply and demand curve needs to start off at some place and manufactures usually start off low for new product intro because of the cost to retool existing manufacturing processes and the unknown market acceptance. Over time you should see changes in price and product availability...really depends on market demand and time.

Sorry...didn't hit the Reply with quote....it was to answer Daezee's comment.

and then Ruger will discontinue something before the market demand is satisfied. Example: Ruger Blackhawk in .327 Magnum.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hugh,

I've always got chocolates for you.

SHAMELESS PLUG!!!! NIB G19 GEN 3 FOR $490!!!!! seriously, on hand.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nate and all. Here's something I wonder about regarding this subject:

Do you suppose when a product comes out, the new Glock for instance, that the mfr. may actually throttle back the production for a bit? I mean, can they make 5000 a day? Maybe yes, is it good to introduce a completely new model and go wide open and sling them out the door? Maybe not. Would it not be better to push out 10,000 of something instead of 100,000 and then find a defect or reason for recall? Seems to me that for an established company it might be wise to slowly distribute something new for a bit, see if something is breaking, if so, what's the percentage, what's the fix and then once a reliable history is established then crank up production.

I think about these things because there are a lot of products out there (not just firearms) that certainly go through factory testing but in the field a problem shows up. I imagine, in the case of the new Glock, they tested a bunch, maybe 50, 100, 200? to a reasonably high round count, under every conceivable condition but, I don't care what anyone says, the proof is going to be 100,000 on the market, used by everyone from a new to guns guy to seasoned veteran. Maintenance differences, conditions, round counts, different production days, parts supplier made X part perfectly for the first batch of 15,000 but a flaw crept in and now there's 300,000 triggers out there with a weak joint. Does a factory want to fix those 300K under warranty or 50K?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Did you get $2800 for that pieced together 6.8 spc II with mismatching furniture you had for sale for over a year?

you see that is how little you know about that weapon, the parts or what is was or what it was sold for or the time it was sold, maybe you should read the article again...also your jealousy is showing..other than that I am sure some people may even like you.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    and then Ruger will discontinue something before the market demand is satisfied. Example: Ruger Blackhawk in .327 Magnum.

There was probably a reason for discontinuing that particular firearm or any firearm...I would hope that a 70+ year old company like Ruger would make the right decisions about their product line.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I read of a fairly recent Ruger interview trying to explain why their sales were down. Blamed it on the full inventory at distributors and dealers. Ha! Maybe a full inventory of stuff that people didn't want to buy as much of.

I like Ruger products. Recently I tried to get the bbl steel and treatment done to a rifle bbl so I could incorporate it into a bbl life study I'm doing. Ruger said words to the effect of "we don't have that information here". Duh, if you don't have the information, ASK up the chain of command. Other companies either told me what I wanted to know or already advertise bbl material/treatment.

Rant mode now OFF.

Top Bottom