• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RL-Photo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Getting setup to reload 308. I have a Hornady ap press and read some bad reviews of their 308 dies. I was considering the lee set but wanted some opinions on what yall use. If I understand correctly you full length resize first time then can neck size after that for a bolt action?

Jherexx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never had any issues with Hornady dies or RCBS and Lee's either, I guess you could get a bad lot from any manufacturer. As far as necksizing the brass, it's only good for the bolt action you shot it out of.

RL-Photo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the help! That bump sizing is interesting and makes a ton of sense. I'm a pretty big Hornady fanboy and was disappointed to see the number or poor reviews on multiple sites.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You did not mention what 308 you had or the primary use for the weapon. Also the level of accuracy that you desire ... or ...need. (Two entirely different things.)

IF ----> you are not shooting this ammo out of a "specialty" bolt gun,at ranges "waaaaay out there",IMO there is no need to get to damned technical with the reloading process. Especially of a 308Win. I would argue that a simple full length resize would do. I have done this with most all of my 308 guns and it has always turned out well.

If you are wondering about the longevity of your brass doing a full length resize every time,I have gotten over 15 reloads using military(LC72 MATCH)brass and it is still going strong. To do this you have to make sure that your die is set up properly and you are not excessively working the brass. You have to set your dies to the particular gun that you will be loading for. Re-sizer dies(alone) are cheap. I have several sets for every 308 that I own(except for a AR type gun). By the way,I absolutely love the Hornady New Dimension dies.

Bottom line ----> do not make your reloading to technical unless your shooting will be extremely technical. Hunting,basic target,not shooting 600-1000yd matches ..... go ahead and full length resize. --- SAWMAN

fla9-40

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have loads of Lee dies and like them well. My 308 I use a Lee FL die and Factory Crimp Die but got a heck of a deal on a new Redding Competition seating die so that is what I seat with..

Top Bottom