• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armyguardus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does anyone have any personal input on this like personal ownership of a gun in this caliber or anyone who has converted any gun please let me know.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I successfully converted a Springfield XD Tactical, a Gen4 Glock 30, and a Gen4 Glock 21 with a custom Lone Wolf Long Slide.

Great caliber and good for woods protection.

I prefer the Glock 30 the best. The only ammo I've had difficulty with feeding is the Buffalo Bore 255gr Hard Cast Lead.

Underwood Ammo, Georgia Arms, Johnny Rowland's, and my home grown Jacketed ammo all work well. I'm working up some 250gr FMJ loads now for .460 Rowland & .45 Super.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a Clark Custom Gun's 460 Rowland kit for my 1911s a few years back. I've used it in two Springfields and a Colt. The kit works fine and is reliable but really does require the compensator to function properly in a 1911.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

The Rowland round is a lot of fun to shoot, is very powerful, a bit louder than even a 45 Super but has less kick. A real attention getter at the range. I've used Rowland, Georgia Arms, Underwood and Buffalo Bore ammo. All of them are accurate and fun to shoot. It was my EDC in my Springfield double stack for awhile. Today I carry a Colt Govt with 45 Super.

Carry this beast around for a month or so, then switch to a regular Government single stack 1911 - you'll feel like you have a Sig P238 in your holster. :smile:
    010_zps9bc6e041.jpg

Attachments

• 010_zps9bc6e041.jpg
      010_zps9bc6e041.jpg
      140.5 KB · Views: 611

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've only fired one. Was built on a Glock.

It was...interesting.

armyguardus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What platform would you use scuba I still haven't made up my mind yet I haven't decided if I am going to order a drop in kit or if I am going to order one and have a gun smith do it for me

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did point of aim-point of impact change much from .45 acp to 460 Rowland?
    Thinking about ordering this conversion for the Norinco.

Deer got MIGHTY close to my stand last hunting season.
    Be cool to take some venison with the 1911.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol,
    I'll try again.
    Anybody do the 460 Roland conversion kit on a 1911 and did point of impact change much from .45 ACP ~ 30 yards?
    Be nice if not much Kentucky windage was necessary.

Thanks!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There are several different things that could effect the POI when switching between the two. If you do not take all these things into consideration only a side by side comparison would conclusively answer your question..
    Sorry . . . I have no experience between the two. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How did you manage to get those specs out of your Rowland ??
    What frame ?? What length bbl ?? (16" carbine,right ?) What powder ?? What comp ?? ---SAWMAN

Lindenwood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah, yes. And this was with a Glock 21, using regular .45 ACP cases.

Even with proper compensation (all outlined in that thread), Id say about 100fps slower than those numbers is the safe maximum limit in the long term. I ran hundreds of rounds at that level, and even managed some .30-.33 splits with them (and yes, that does hurt). However, I discarded al cases after the first loading due to severe case-head expansion just above the case web.

I just sold the gun, though. When I stopped carrying with the compensator and those handloads due to legal concerns if I actually had to use it (that obviously go way beyond carrying otherwise-standard reloads), I kindof lost interest. I just sold it for a Glock 19. However, I am soon likely going to buy an Encore pistol because I still love me some boomey handguns!

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love the idea of the Rowland, but the comp puts me off it...

far easier to just toss in heavier springs & run .45-Super ;)

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well - it is possible to do a conversion without a comp - or a ported barrel...

I followed deadeye Luke holsters' example by taking an all steel 1911 and reaming the barrel to .460 Rowland. I installed the strongest recoil spring possible as well as the strongest hammer spring possible. The beveled firing pin stop was replaced with an oversized square bottom firing pin stop. That was one more thing that provided some additional "dwell" time. The recoil forces on the slide has to overcome all of those high spring weights plus the square bottom firing pin stop.

Deadeye Luke converted a stainless Springfield Armory 1911. Not wanting to pay never that much on an experiment - I converted a Rock Island Armory double-stack 1911... It works just fine! :)

Lindenwood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am curious how far your empties are going upon ejection, flyandscuba. On my Glock 21, which has a slide about 30% heavier than a 1911, 250 gr bullets at 900 fps had cases flying 15-20 feet away. I understand the benefits of a square FP stop, but I am curious how long your gun will last like this.

Top Bottom