• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    OK, somebody school me on this stuff. Is this just the green-tipped ammo and not the Lake City stuff that everybody seems to have on sale ? I think it's called XM93 or something like that.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What's looks like is going to be banned is the m855. That's the green tipped ammo from federal. It's 62gr and often referred to as penetrator. The ban well also ss109 ammo which is similar but doesn't meet all the specs to be m855.

M193 is also federal but it's a "standard" 55gr bullet.

Both are 5.56 ammo.

The sales on 193 are catering to the (not unreasonable) fear that it will be going next once 855 is banned.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    OK, somebody school me on this stuff. Is this just the green-tipped ammo and not the Lake City stuff that everybody seems to have on sale ? I think it's called XM93 or something like that.

This just the M855 "Green Tip" ammo. The XM193 ammo is not affected. If you can find XM193 for a really good price, I would recommend buying a lot of it. With the M855/SS109 most likely to go away, prices on the XM193 type ammo may go up. I am sincerely hoping that the ammunition manufacturers are already in the process of a suitable 62 gr. replacement for the M855. This is a fantastic general purpose round. The XM193 has been around for nearly 50 years and it still a very viable and useful round.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    What's looks like is going to be banned is the m855. That's the green tipped ammo from federal. It's 62gr and often referred to as penetrator. The ban well also ss109 ammo which is similar but doesn't meet all the specs to be m855.

M193 is also federal but it's a "standard" 55gr bullet.

Both are 5.56 ammo.

The sales on 193 are catering to the (not unreasonable) fear that it will be going next once 855 is banned.

In actuality, the M855 was made to meet the same specs as the Fabrique Nationale SS109. The M855 ammo had to meet the same NATO specifications and the SS109 had already been adopted back in 1977.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The vultures are already swooping in :

February 12, 2015
    contact seller
    seller's other listings

Ad Start : 2/16
    Ad Views : 36
    I have several cans for sale. This is loaded on 10 round stripper clips. This ammo has the steel penetrator which is why the ATF is changing the classification to Armor piercing. This is the actual ammunition used by the military. Don't miss out on the last chance to get the ammo your rifle was built for. 420 rounds per can. I am asking $450 per can. I will make you a deal on multiple cans. A little over 10,000 rounds available.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

February 12, 2015
    contact seller
    seller's other listings

I have several cans for sale. This is loaded on 10 round stripper clips. This ammo has the steel penetrator which is why the ATF is changing the classification to Armor piercing. This is the actual ammunition used by the military. Don't miss out on the last chance to get the ammo your rifle was built for. 420 rounds per can. I am asking $450 per can. I will make you a deal on multiple cans. A little over 10,000 rounds available.

Yes, this is a rip-off. I order a 420 round can from Brownells on Saturday for $169.99 plsu $15 shipping. Got my confirmation e-mail from them this morning that the order is now being processed. It is now $199.99, but it is out of stock and unavailable for backorder.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

February 12, 2015
    contact seller
    seller's other listings

Good lord....

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

February 12, 2015
    contact seller
    seller's other listings

If I did my math right - (I went to Pace High, so yes it is questionable) - 10,000 divided by 420 rounds per can is 23.80 cans.

So call it 24 cans at $450 per can for $10,800 or $1.08 per round.

That guy is more than a vulture.

profiteering.jpg

Attachments

• profiteering.jpg
      profiteering.jpg
      28.4 KB · Views: 152

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    STOP! you know we cannot criticize prices, if he posted here he would be good to go.

goat1.jpg

Attachments

• goat1.jpg
      goat1.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 149

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In actuality, the M855 was made to meet the same specs as the Fabrique Nationale SS109. The M855 ammo had to meet the same NATO specifications and the SS109 had already been adopted back in 1977.

In actuality?

Are you saying they are the same round? If you've got some solid info to back that up I'd love a link other than wikipedia. I've searched this stuff repeatedly over the past several years and I stand by my original post.

To clarify, m855 meets ss109 specs but not all ss109 meets m855 specs. You're talking NATO vs US specs.

This is mostly academic. The rounds are similar enough that your casual shooter isn't going to notice a big difference in performance.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    In actuality?

Are you saying they are the same round? If you've got some solid info to back that up I'd love a link other than wikipedia. I've searched this stuff repeatedly over the past several years and I stand by my original post.

To clarify, m855 meets ss109 specs but not all ss109 meets m855 specs. You're talking NATO vs US specs.

This is mostly academic. The rounds are similar enough that your casual shooter isn't going to notice a big difference in performance.

The SS109 and the M855 use the same 61.5 gr. steel penetrator projectile. The projectile is designated as the SS109. The NATO spec SS109 ammo is, in some cases, slightly underpowered. It all depends of which nation's weapons it is being used in. The U.S. M855 is loaded hotter per our military's requirements. The differences are in the load, not the projectile.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The SS109 and the M855 use the same 61.5 gr. steel penetrator projectile. The projectile is designated as the SS109. The NATO spec SS109 ammo is, in some cases, slightly underpowered. It all depends of which nation's weapons it is being used in. The U.S. M855 is loaded hotter per our military's requirements. The differences are in the load, not the projectile.

I agree with most of that. In actuality it looks like there may be some differences in the bullet as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_22090501b21966ce21.jpg

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I was in WalMart last night and went by the ammo counter. The M855 was cleaned out as was most everything else except a few boxes of over-priced American Eagle 55 grain.
    I guess the panic is on...................but I'll sit this one out.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If somebody wants to pay me $900 dollars for 1000 rounds of the stuff like the last time I will happily oblige!

Top Bottom