• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTAC_TODD

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a little late getting back on and updating everyone, but the next match is set for February 28th at K&M Shooting Center in Baker.

Most information will be on the attached photo, but just to remind everyone, no green tip ammo will be allowed. That ammo damages and/or penetrates the steel targets which gets expensive when it's time to replace them. Thanks in advance!

Hope to see all the returning faces as well as all the new ones for the next match! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns by commenting or sending me a message. See y'all on the 28th!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      252.2 KB · Views: 187

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've gotten clearance to shoot this match! Can I still sign up at the event?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FWIW, I was told a couple days ago by a gentleman at PTAC that the zeroing range opens at 7am and you need to be there between 6:30 and 7am if you want to zero a rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    looks like I'll be leaving a little earlier than I thought. Gotta get my rifle on paper!

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang you guys have fun, make sure you get some good video. I'll be there for sure sometime this year.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Okay, any feedback yet from the match? I'd like to know how the match went. I heard something that the owners of the range may be relocating to another facility in another state sometime this year, so I hope someone else comes in and takes over to keep things going at a fine facility where I have yet had a chance to shoot. I just don't have the time to travel out there, but would love to.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a wonderful facility! Very professional looking and well laid out. As far as feedback from the match...It's getting better. First match the PTAC guys were cutting their teeth and we fell behind a bit on time. Having it get dark around 4:50pm didn't help, either. I was unable to make the 2nd match, but the 3rd one this weekend seems to make me feel like they're getting everything in order and are able to get things going a little quicker. We were able to get in all 6 stages this time. Heck, we still had a little bit of daylight left after we were done shooting! The safety briefing was quick and to the point and once we were in our squads, we headed to our first stage. We were shooting within minutes after the stage walk-through. We shot 3 stages pretty quickly, then took a break for lunch. I feel the break was a bit too long for most shooters. I understand the guys working the match need a break, and us shooters damn sure needed some time off our feet, but we were sitting around for over an hour. The plus side, they handed out current standings after the first 3 stages so we could see how badly we did!lol After lunch, we headed back to our stage and again, after a quick stage walk-through, we were shooting away. I feel they were a bit understaffed and as a result, only had one S.O. at most of the stages. Having to run the guys, keep time and keep score is a bit much for one person. I was shorted on one stage and "Time" was called when I still had plenty of time left to finish the stage. It cost me 12 hits. While I was nowhere near the front runners, we're all fighting our personal battles with our buddies and every point counts! At the end, it was still an absolute blast to run our guns in these scenarios. As Ian said during the first match last December..."You realize this is the coolest shit we're ever gonna do with our rifles!" I agree....
    On a side note...please keep running these matches on Saturday's so we can have Sunday's to rest our knees and ankles!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I see what this is, you're recruiting. I'll do a match out there, but damn that's a lot of ammo. Lol.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree with jogan on basically everything. 3 more SO's would be ideal, but IMO 1 more to help with the rock and pipe stage was absolutely necessary.

I think more emphasis needs to be put on safely handling weapons, clearing them properly and muzzle discipline. I think the SO should be with the shooter and watch them unload and clear their weapons. Also, I believe shooter's should get ONE muzzle warning and be DQ'ed at the second muzzle call. We were all swept multiple times during the day and even had one person sweep us with a loaded firearm in the waiting area after the stage was over because he didn't clear it immediately following the stage. We were on edge all day long because of the muzzles being waved around.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I posted this elsewhere, but I figured it might be a good thing to post here also.

I shot my first Precision Tactial 2-Gun Series match this weekend at the K&M Shooting Center. Here are my thoughts and videos from the day.

Safety: There was a very concise, but complete safety briefing before the match. While everyone at the match should have already been well aware of all the main gun safety rules, I feel like one area should have been emphasized: muzzle discipline. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was swept throughout the day. Most of the times the guns were (at least should have been) unloaded, but a few times it was by shooters with loaded firearms running the course. IMO, shooter's should have been given one "MUZZLE" warning and then DQ'ed on the second call.

Safety Officers: Each of the stages only had one S.O.(2 of the stages had an S.O. and a spotter counting hits on the long steel) who was responsible for making sure the shooter was being safe, as well as keeping time and counting hits. I believe that there should have been at least 1 S.O. and 1 scorekeeper for each stage. A couple of the stages could have done with 2 S.O.'s since the shooting positions were so spread out. Only having one S.O. caused a couple problems on the Rock and Pipe stage, since the S.O. had to stay on top of the first berm to see the long range hits, thus ended up far away from the shooter's position at the end of the stage.

My Performance: I was overall disappointed in my performance. I had only shot IDPA previously, so I was used to going fast, giving up a little accuracy, yet still placing well. That was a terrible strategy in this match and I didn't start getting it through my head until the last 2 stages. I finished every stage with time to spare, but my hits were nowhere near what I'm capable of, had I just slowed down a little. This was my first time shooting this type of match (this was only the 3rd match in the entire series), so I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience and have a better game plan next time. I was in the top 1/3 after the first 3 stages and ended up in the top half, since I had rifle trouble on the last stage and missed out on a lot of potential points. I’ll be shooting for the top 10% at the next match.

Videos:

Stage 1 - Big Bay Stage

I was nervous (like usual on the first stage of the day). My rifle was bouncing all over the place on the first few shots and I ended up shooting the hostage target right between the eyes. I rushed my shots at the barricade and didn’t always wait on the reticle to settle on target before I squeezed off the shot. My transition between the barricade and the pistol position was pretty fast, but then I rushed my pistol shots and didn’t reload between stations like I should have. Conclusion: SLOW DOWN AND GET THE HITS!

Stage 2 - Tower Stage

I forgot to turn my GoPro on until right after I started the stage. I got pretty good hits on the rifle portion, but I fell apart at the pistol portion. I had the fastest run of the day (up to that point), but it didn’t mean crap since I dropped so many points. I made Expert with this gun at the last IDPA classifier, but watching these videos will make you think I’ve never shot a handgun before. Conclusion: Slow down and make sure to get the easy pistol hits.

Stage 3 - Shoot House Stage

Fun stage, but it was very loud inside the containers. I had trouble getting stable to shoot the long steel on the timbers/tire outside and I couldn’t tell where my shots were going nor if they were hits or misses. I only ended up getting 16/30 of the rifle hits. I only had a few seconds to spare on this stage, so my pace was pretty good. Conclusion: Someone calling out hits and misses on the long range steel would have been nice, but overall, I wouldn’t change much about this stage.

Stage 4 - Rock and Pipe Stage

Lots of running on this stage. One of the targets at the start was such a low hit percentage that I skipped it. I knew time would be tight, so I tried to hurry. Once again, I needed to take more time with the pistol shots. Those long shots were longer than I originally realized and I needed to slow down much more so than I did. I also should have reloaded between stations, but I'm not used to being able to drop loaded mags on the ground. Another bad IDPA habit. Conclusion: Slow down and get the pistol hits, especially the long ones. Also, think about strategic reload locations.

Stage 5 - Tires and Short Bus Stage

My best stage of the day, only missed one hit. I knew I had plenty of time, so I told myself to slow down and try to get a perfect score. Everything was going really well, until I jerked one of the pistol shots on the plate rack. I finished with plenty of time to spare, so I could have taken more time and ensured every hit was dead on. Conclusion: I’m happy with this stage, but I wish I got that one extra hit to make it a perfect score.

Stage 6 - Rocks Stage

Major bummer on this stage. We had the opportunity to shoot either large targets for 1pt each or small targets for 2pts each on the rifle portion. I chose small because of the major points advantage and was doing pretty well until I failed to seat the magazine after the mandatory mag change. What I didn’t realize was that there was dirt on the mag after the fall and it got into my rifle when I re-inserted it. Once I cleared the jam and realized that the bolt wouldn’t seat, I decided not to risk trying to shoot it with dirt inside the chamber. It threw me off so bad that I didn’t think I had much time to finish the stage (I had plenty of time), so I rushed through the pistol portion again and missed a couple shots I should have gotten. Unfortunately I was unable to take advantage of the 36 potential remaining rifle points in this stage, which effectively put me way out of the running. Conclusion: Don’t put a dirty magazine in your rifle.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good points made Jeep, I also feel like muzzle awareness is the biggest issue. With the number of experienced shooters on hand, I was surprised. Only being in the sport shooting scene for less than a year I consider myself to be novice, mediocre at best. I feel some general safety rules have to be learned over time. I realize that excitement is a factor in forgetting stuff but I'm sure a couple DQs would cure that.
    I've enjoyed the matches immensely and hate I missed the door breach. Looking forward to April...

PTAC_TODD

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @Hipower - the owner of K&M, Bryan Morgan, is opening another range with some friends in Missouri, but this range will still be his baby and we'll continue to do these matches as long as he allows us to do it and as long as all the shooters (myself included) continue to shoot and have a good time.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks for the narrative, Jeep! Makes a lot of sense.
    So how does the timing work exactly, you get no points for speed?
    Regardless, I'm in, but I'll need a new optic.
    When's the next one?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So how does the timing work exactly, you get no points for speed?

Exactly. Your score is your hits. I finally got that through my head before the 5th stage (tires and short bus), then I had the malfunction during the 6th stage (rocks), but I was on pace to do pretty well. My game plan will be radically different for the next match.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Interesting! It might be a little more suited to my shooting style (slow, lol). I do know that a red dot isn't gonna cut it. Did Ian run his 3x?

Top Bottom