• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My neighbor gave me a deer ham (thigh as best as I can figure) but I have no Idea what to do with it. I cleaned it off the bone and put it in several ziplock freezer bags and froze them since I was headed out of town the next day.

Now I need to figure out how to cook them. Each of the bags were about 2lbs.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Use it just as you would a pork butt, there's a million things you can do. You can also grind it into burger (add fat-bacon is awesome) .

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't cook them as a whole roast often, they are too lean. If you do, no more than medium.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soak in coke cola for 30 mins then drain. Soak in dales hour. Then sear all sides stove top. Then split like a hotdog bun. The put cream cheese in split with a halopinia, finally wrap in bacon and put tooth pick through it and in the oven 400 degrees till done.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jalapeño you hillbilly!! I spit my drink... That's effing hysterical

I really thought Frank would have been the one to correct me. I had to retype it 3 times cause auto correct kept trying to spell it right!!! F#cking IPhone

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I would eat it. take it out of the bag and cook it first.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Merinate it in whatever. Dry rub,wet rub/coating,what flavor ... ? ... up to your taste. However,the more salt the tougher the deer will be.

I start the roast off indoors until the meat thermometer gets to 120deg. Then outside in the smoker(at 215-225deg) using pecan until it gets to 170deg. For me --> DONE. --- SAWMAN

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soak in coke cola for 30 mins then drain. Soak in dales hour. Then sear all sides stove top. Then split like a hotdog bun. The put cream cheese in split with a halopinia, finally wrap in bacon and put tooth pick through it and in the oven 400 degrees till done.

Don't let 'em get to ya, Stanley. It's a great recipe. Let them have no notice next time you cook this! LOL...

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I mostly get them processed as something other than a ham but when I do cook the ham I make cuts all over and stuff them with slices of Jalapeno, fresh garlic and green onion, cover with bacon place in a pan on sliced onion with a little water in the bottom, cover with foil and roast until medium rare.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    This reminds me. I recently smoked a wild hog "ham". My first attempt. It was delicious and enjoyed by everyone who tasted it, but it didn't taste like "ham". Turns out I didn't know what I was doing...without it being cured, it won't taste like store bought ham. It tasted like and had the texture of pork tenderloin. Tender and moist. Everyone (7 people) thought it was better than ham and said I should do the next one just like that. It came from a 118 pound sow. I did not trim off all the fat, just some of the thicker fat deposits.

I covered it with rub and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Smoked it in hickory wood smoke for about 2 1/2 hours. Wrapped it in foil and left it in the smoker (225 degrees) until the inside temp was above 165 degrees (it got up to about 180 degrees). Let it rest about an hour and then cut it up.

Top Bottom