• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any tips for the classifiers coming up?

I know I really need to work on my 15-20 yard shots. It looks pretty straight forward otherwise.

What rank is everyone is they don't mind posting?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Stage 4 separates the men from the boys. Learn it well, and don't F it up. Your ETMs will help by not screwing up your tactical reload, like other mags can. Of course, you could always be a rebel and refuse to qualify. ;)

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stage 4? The site only shows three stages. I think you're talking about stage 3 with the tactical reloads.

I better not forget this is the whole limited vickers scoring otherwise I'll just start shooting everything a whole lotta times

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Stage 4? The site only shows three stages
    You're probably right. Sorry, it's late, I have a headache, and most of my extremities don't work. And I have a cold, and need a cocktail. Cheers!

Last edited:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    he's talking about stage 3. know where your gun hits at 20 yards. and not just 20 yards standing straight. you gotta use the cover for all the shots! shooting 20 yards, with 100% of your lower body behind cover as well as 50% of your upper body behind cover is difficult. take your time.....TAKE....YOUR....TIME...! stage 1 is simple, just don't miss your headshots. stage 2 is also simple, but misses can arise from trying to go too fast during the movement part or the reload section. you'll have a very different cadence to your shots from stage 1 and 2 as opposed to stage 3. stage 3 is basically bullseye shooting with a reload thrown in there. practice your "loaded gun" reloads. there's 2 ways to do 'em.....after the 6th shot, reach down and grab a mag, bring it up to the gun, swap the mags at the gun, then stow the mag, (all behind COVER!) then swap to the other side of the barricade, and re-engage the 3 targets. that reload requires 2 moves down (once to grab the new mag and again after the reload to stow the used mag). I prefer the other method...after the 6th shot, release the used mag into the support hand, stow it, grab a new mag, reload and continue on. Only 1 move down and 1 move up then you're back in business. wear some pants that allow you to find you pocket for these reloads. leave them skinny jeans at the house! watch the vids from last week's match during stage 4. Brant won that stage with perfect reloads. I was only a second behind him, and I shot the damn stage down 1! but I also fumbled stowing my first mag as it shows in my vid from last week. remembering limited vicker's count won't be that hard. the RO will go over it with you between strings.

I'm ESP SS and also CDP SS. Hope to bump up to ESP EX next time. only missed it by a few seconds last classifier....

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Great advice there.
    BTW, the last classifier was my second match, and I just missed sharpshooter mostly due to the long leaning shots in stage 3, as well as failing to seat, a mag during the unnecessary, I mean tactical, reload, which is also in stage 3.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree with Jogan above. Take you time and get your headshots on stage 1 (taking an extra half-second on the shot is much better than getting penalized 2.5 seconds for every miss), and shoot slowly and accurately on Stage 3's long shots. It's hard to make yourself slow down when the buzzer goes off, which is why I barely made SS in SSP in last year's classifier. I knew what I needed to do, but didn't do it. My hits on Stage 3 were horrendous.

Remembering those 2 things will save you the most time.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here are some links you may find helpful. Just make sure you don't shoot too fast to make fairly decent shots, but taking too long to make all down zero hits can hurt you too. It's a BALANCE of time and accuracy but missing head shots on stage 1 that should be fairly easy on stage one can mess you up.

Just be real careful on stage 4 (analyzing your hits after shooting each of the stages and crying in your spilled milk). Don't forget there will be another one the following Saturday IF YOU THINK YOU WANT TO TRY AGAIN, or just go to Jogan's playhouse (with his permission). I'm sure he's got it set up and for a good fee will let you practice until you get it JUST RIGHT ! :cheer2:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?8176-Tips-for-shooting-the-IDPA-classifer

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/July_12_idpa_1.pdf
    \http://www.balloongoesup.com/blog/idpa-classifier-tips/
    \http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2014/08/08/Mastering-the-IDPA-Classifier-by-Duane-Thomas.aspx

http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2014/08/08/Mastering-the-IDPA-Classifier-by-Duane-Thomas.aspx

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jeep, what are the dates? You know I'm no good with that.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last time we shot I really worked on shooting at a slower pace to make shots and I went down 1 for the whole stage even after breaking my mag up. I'll be shooting my full size 1911 the first week and compact for the new ccp the next week to give me time to get mags and stuff in

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Practice the "Draw" and start moving at the first tone of the buzzer. you'd be surprise how much time you can cut by these two. The whole classifier consists of 14 strings. You can easily shave 0.5 sec per draw and buzzer reaction times. If my math is right, thats 7 seconds off your score. Good luck fellas. Go get em

Top Bottom